2019-20 Roster Thread XV: The thread with no name

Status
Not open for further replies.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Ah, yes. The extremism of not expecting 30+ year old defensemen to return to their glory days being 'miserable'. Some of you never disappoint.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Funny how quickly it went from "MacDonald is a trash player and therefore not a good enough mentor" to "Braun will be a great mentor, no matter how he plays on the ice".

i can only speak for myself, but simply mentoring is NOT good enough. i expect Braun to be a decent middle pairing guy. if he sucks i'll be the first to be disappointed.

question, is anyone actually saying this? that it doesn't matter how Braun plays on the ice? or is this just the usual hyper-overreaction that some people make just to push a narrative that isn't actually there?

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Ah, yes. The extremism of not expecting 30+ year old defensemen to return to their glory days being 'miserable'. Some of you never disappoint.

again, who is saying this? who is expecting Braun to return to his glory days?

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
i can only speak for myself, but simply mentoring is NOT good enough. i expect Braun to be a decent middle pairing guy. if he sucks i'll be the first to be disappointed.

question, is anyone actually saying this? that it doesn't matter how Braun plays on the ice? or is this just the usual hyper-overreaction that some people make just to push a narrative that isn't actually there?
Winner winner chicken dinner!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

Yup. Some variation of "Braun just needs to be a mentor for the trade to be worth it" has been said multiple times, by different people, in various threads.

Sorry to disappoint, but there's no "hyper-overreaction to push a narrative that isn't actually there" going on here... well... at least not on this side. :laugh:

Here's one quick example from literally a single page back:

Braun is here to straighten Provy's and Ghost's heads out for a little bit. Nothing more, and nothing less.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

It's an issue of people talking past each other without listening, I think. The two major camps seem to be starting from completely different points of view on Braun's last couple of years.

If you think he was poor, you reference bouncing back because that's what it would require for him to be a positive. This gets interpreted as "returning to his glory days." Likewise, if you think he's been serviceable, you're looking at holding serve being passable and mentoring now is justifying the expense because he's already solid.

Reactions: deadhead

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Yup. Some variation of "Braun just needs to be a mentor for the trade to be worth it" has been said multiple times, by different people, in various threads.

Sorry to disappoint, but there's no "hyper-overreaction to push a narrative that isn't actually there" going on here... well... at least not on this side. :laugh:

people are always pushing narratives. Reb isn't wrong when he calls out the negativity. there's no real reason why anyone should be complaining right now. we haven't played a game yet, not even in pre-season. we don't even know what the lines will be yet. people should be excited right now. this could be the best season this team has had in years.

i just hope we don't have people wanting to see Braun fail just so they can say "i told you so" rather than hope he succeeds for the betterment of the team. i know some were very against the move so i hope that isn't the case, because that would be a really shitty thing to do.

Here's one quick example from literally a single page back:

i can't imagine Qyburn being okay with Braun playing terribly, but perhaps he can clarify his quote further.

It's an issue of people talking past each other without listening, I think. The two major camps seem to be starting from completely different points of view on Braun's last couple of years.

If you think he was poor, you reference bouncing back because that's what it would require for him to be a positive. This gets interpreted as "returning to his glory days." Likewise, if you think he's been serviceable, you're looking at holding serve being passable and mentoring now is justifying the expense because he's already solid.

that's exactly what happens.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004

Haven’t seen it anywhere.

He cost a 3rd pick in grand scheme, if he isn’t good he’s a bottom pair rhd vet that’s gone in a year.

I like the risk reward here and don’t think he will be a detriment to Sanheim or Ghost and I see him as a 5/6 vet and that’s what I bet he ends up as.

A few here are convinced he sucks no matter what.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Odd how Gudas gets dumped on by Braun is praised when they are similar players -except Gudas isnt the black hole offensively that Braun is.

But hey, narratives and all.

Gudas can’t make a pass if his life depended on it.
Sounds like Braun also can’t make a pass if his life depends on it.

I hope Braun is better than Gudas, if not, he will be passed quickly by Myers or Ghost.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Gudas has a better shot than Braun, Braun is a better skater, Gudas is more physical in space, Braun is fearless chasing the puck in the corners.
Braun has a much better and deeper playoff record than Gudas.

I think both Niskanen and Braun were brought here to anchor the defense for a playoff run, mentoring six young defensemen is part of their duties, so is being coaches on the ice. But they still have to play, Niskanen as the PO stud he's been, and Braun at least as a steady defensive force that provides a security blanket for young offensive defensemen.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
that's exactly what happens.
You realize you're doing exactly what Jojo said, right?

You're not even listening to what people are actually saying and are then getting worked up.

people are always pushing narratives. Reb isn't wrong when he calls out the negativity. there's no real reason why anyone should be complaining right now. we haven't played a game yet, not even in pre-season. we don't even know what the lines will be yet. people should be excited right now. this could be the best season this team has had in years.

i just hope we don't have people wanting to see Braun fail just so they can say "i told you so" rather than hope he succeeds for the betterment of the team. i know some were very against the move so i hope that isn't the case, because that would be a really ****ty thing to do.

Actually Rebel is wrong because he's mischaracterizing posts, either intentionally or unintentionally. People giving their opinions and pointing out concerns with roster moves isn't automatically being "miserable and negative" and saying it is is an attempt to invalidate their viewpoint.

I can think that the Braun trade was stupid AND be optimistic about the roster, look forward to next season, expect the team to do well, and hope that the trade works out. Trying to pretend those two two things are mutually exclusive (which happens CONSTANTLY from many of you) is the type of dishonesty that keeps causing arguments and responses like yours right here.

Also, as for the bold, you realize that these players have played in the NHL before, right? That people have seen them play and that you can know what a player is like and is worth before they play for your team? The fact that it's the offseason doesn't mean people can't give their opinions on moves (which isn't automatically "complaining" either, even if someone dislikes the move).

Do you also believe that also you shouldn't be able to praise anything that's happened this offseason? After all, "we haven't played a game yet, not even in pre-season. we don't even know what the lines will be yet". If "negativity" is invalid, due to the unknown, then so must be "positivity". Let's at least be consistent here.

i can't imagine Qyburn being okay with Braun playing terribly, but perhaps he can clarify his quote further.

You asked for an example of what I was referring to, to prove I wasn't making it up to serve a narrative, so I gave you one. If you want to chase posters down and see if they actually meant what they said, go for it, but what matters is that it was said.

Reactions: Starat327

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Actually Rebel is wrong because he's mischaracterizing posts, either intentionally or unintentionally. People giving their opinions and pointing out concerns with roster moves isn't automatically being "miserable and negative" and saying it is is an attempt to invalidate their viewpoint.

tenor.gif

Reactions: bauer and deadhead

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
You don’t need to deny it, I’m not taking shots at you for doing it.

You’ve done it, I’ve done it, we’ve all done it.

A little added hyperbole to make a point happens all the time around here, but in the end it’s still inaccurate.

You know the people against these moves aren’t all actually “miserable”, but tossing that in there just further illustrates your point of them not being as excited as you think they should be.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
You don’t need to deny it, I’m not taking shots at you for doing it.

You’ve done it, I’ve done it, we’ve all done it.

A little added hyperbole to make a point happens all the time around here, but in the end it’s still inaccurate.

You know the people against these moves aren’t all actually “miserable”, but tossing that in there just further illustrates your point of them not being as excited as you think they should be.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Striiker
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->