2019/20 Roster Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
Its beyond obvious they value him. Im trying hard not to go down this hole with the club again but is it really all that shocking when you have Lappy, Therrien and Yeo as talent evaluators?

They doubled down on hockey man logic this off season because they wanted nothing but experience behind that bench. No matter how flawed that experience may be.

At the end of the day, I wont care if the wins do indeed come. We shall see, but there is some cause for concern. Lets not pretend that Chuck Fletcher and his band of Merry Men is a concrete collection of strong hockey minds. There is a reason why much of the league questioned these hirings. Again, hopefully they prove the doubts wrong.

Much of the league? So other coaches and GMs spoke out against these hires? This I did not see.

Reactions: deadhead and blinds

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Big f--ing deal.
Fletcher has said he's going to be shuttling players between LHV and Philly.
I expect the roster to be in flux for a few months, then Fletcher is going to move a couple veterans and open up space for the kids who earn it.

Getting upset by this or that short-term move is a waste of energy, right now they're still in the evaluation phase, once the team gets comfortable with the new schemes, the veterans who don't fit will stick out like sore thumbs.

The only real test of a NHL player is NHL games.
AV ha been through this twice and I'm sure will feel no panic at a slow start.
He'll stick to his guns until he has a roster he's comfortable throwing out there, night after night.
So just write off the first month of the season because of adjustments? If the Flyers have any hopes of making the playoffs this year, they probably shouldn't treat the first month like extended training camp. They don't have enough talent to chase points all season.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Ill also add this though, if pre-season is any indication for how things go this year (and again, I realise this is jumping to conclusions early) - banging the drum that it is all on coaching or Fletcher is someone I wont do.

There is going to have to come a point where the cold reality is going to have to set in that the pieces assembled aren't enough, and draft picks in the middle of the first round aren't going to add enough.

There is an analogy I used to use on another Flyer site, that I cant shake. Think of the Leafs in the latter day Sundin era.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Its beyond obvious they value him. Im trying hard not to go down this hole with the club again but is it really all that shocking when you have Lappy, Therrien and Yeo as talent evaluators?

They doubled down on hockey man logic this off season because they wanted nothing but experience behind that bench. No matter how flawed that experience may be.

At the end of the day, I wont care if the wins do indeed come. We shall see, but there is some cause for concern. Lets not pretend that Chuck Fletcher and his band of Merry Men is a concrete collection of strong hockey minds. There is a reason why much of the league questioned these hirings. Again, hopefully they prove the doubts wrong.

Its not as bad as the Hex and Hak reign tho, you could argue that Hogg is the only true piece of garbage left, so we are moving in the right direction

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Much of the league? So other coaches and GMs spoke out against these hires? This I did not see.

They did not, but if you didnt see the opinions of fans from other clubs then I'd urge you to look there.

Some people put no stock into the opinions of fans. Frankly, I think a lot of the difference between the value of an opinion between a fan and say someone like Chuck, is that his daddy got him a start in the league.

The opinion of fans isnt the focal point of my post, so lets not make it that.

Reactions: DaphneLion

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP

These kinds of doubts are the things that were shut and shouted down all summer long. Four long months of listening to total horse ****. There is going to be a lot of backtracking in the coming days.

Reactions: Striiker

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
These kinds of doubts are the things that were shut and shouted down all summer long. Four long months of listening to total horse ****. There is going to be a lot of backtracking in the coming days.

People want to believe. Hell I do as well, as a fan. Its early and I want to make that clear when I make these posts. I hope I am proven wrong.

The notion that is it all on coaching, or playing Hagg would have to be looked at as well though. At some point, realization that a group of complimentary pieces wont get it done will have to be admitted. Thats where I am heading if this year goes poorly.

As a fan, I hope they rise up and silence the doubt.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

The coaching staff, collectively, has been fired 8 times by 6 different NHL teams. Two of the coaches were fired on 3 separate occasions by one NHL club. I know this is a results oriented business where snap judgments are often the norm, but that doesn't exactly scream excellence.

There's a reason for that.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
People want to believe. Hell I do as well, as a fan. Its early and I want to make that clear when I make these posts. I hope I am proven wrong.

That's fine, and isn't the problem. The problem is when people start acting like we should be sitting in a drum circle holding hands and chanting "Kumbaya" while we shelve our critical thinking. That's more or less exactly what happened in here this summer.

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
They did not, but if you didnt see the opinions of fans from other clubs then I'd urge you to look there.

Some people put no stock into the opinions of fans. Frankly, I think a lot of the difference between the value of an opinion between a fan and say someone like Chuck, is that his daddy got him a start in the league.

The opinion of fans isnt the focal point of my post, so lets not make it that.
If it were up to fans, players would be traded and coaches fired every other week. LOL.

I just find it hard to critique a head coach(who took 2 separate organizations to cup finals)before his new team has ever played a game.

Like I said all summer, time will tell.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
I really dont want to jump into the place I've been with this club for what seems like many years. I had optimism heading into this year, and won't pretend that perhaps I am being too hasty judging off of pre-season...

I just expected more, and there is a growing part of me that wants to burn this mother ****er to the ground. Have wanted to for some time now. I feel as there is a lot of stagnant rot, and a couple of complimentary pieces being infused here and there isn't going to change a losing and lackadaisical culture.

Really do hope they prove me wrong. The purgatory needs to end, but I see a franchise that is full of complimentary pieces, and very little more.

Well my mindset has been the same as it was months ago. Things are going to need to materialize on the ice over a bigger sample for me to change my mind. Admittedly it hasn’t been off to a great start but it is a smaller sample at least for better or worse.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
The coaching staff, collectively, has been fired 8 times by 6 different NHL teams. Two of the coaches were fired on 3 separate occasions by one NHL club. I know this is a results oriented business where snap judgments are often the norm, but that doesn't exactly scream excellence.

Hak has only been fired once.

#HireHak

I’m not putting down your reasoning with that statement. I just wanna watch the world burn.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg

Dont disagree, what I am saying also is that at some point the talent level on the club will have to be questioned as well. There is a reason that there was doubt in signing Hayes for example. Not because he isn't a decent player, but because hes likely not anywhere close enough to the needed talent infusion.

I've long supported some of the talented core, and still would to a degree - but I am moving to a realm (if things go poorly) where I'll blatantly have to admit that they aren't enough, and more complimentary pieces, or kids drafted in the middle of round one. Wont be enough.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I have concerns that their collective deficiencies will be an obstacle.

I am not worried about this group beating out what we had up through last year.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
If it were up to fans, players would be traded and coaches fired every other week. LOL.

I just find it hard to critique a head coach(who took 2 separate organizations to cup finals)before his new team has ever played a game.

Like I said all summer, time will tell.

Hell for sure. Time will tell. I do think there are some flags arising however.

FlyerNutter

Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
I guess we have to wait until after the first game to criticize Hagg being in the lineup. :laugh:

What kind of logic is this.

Apologies if I truly am assuming wrong, but I do believe a lot of it is simply folks trying to be optimistic. I get the desire for that.

I have very little optimism left for this club. What the f*** for.

Reactions: Striiker

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Same logic that Hak didn’t get a fair shake and needed more time.

Except that was true.

HtA3Pgk.jpg

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Apologies if I truly am assuming wrong, but I do believe a lot of it is simply folks trying to be optimistic. I get the desire for that.

I have very little optimism left for this club. What the **** for.

I have tons of optimism, most I have had in this team in a long time.

That being Said, Haag even being on the roster drives me f***ing nuts. We don't need to carry 8 D men and he is the worst.

Trade him for a pick , or waive him, that is the only 2 options !!

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

I have very little optimism left for this club. What the **** for.
Being hopeful is fine.
Blind optimism and saying people can't critique clear mistakes is not fine.

The logic I keep seeing of saying we can't criticize the management/coaches because "we haven't even played a game yet" is ridiculous, since their work begins long before a game is played. We don't need to wait for the first game to know that certain things are mistakes and if we see them happen, like the Hagg issue as an example, then calling it out is far from unfair.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
getting caught up....am I seeing this right that the issue we have for game 1 is that Pitlick and Patrick are not on IR, so we need to "demoted" 2 people to be cap compliant?

And I thought Pit and Pat were hurt so assumed they WOULD be on IR.

Confused....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad