2019/20 Roster Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Those lines are bizarre but I'm open to a new coach trying new things. If anything, he wouldn't be doing his job if he just went with what the last coach was doing without trying new combinations. Especially in practice, doesn't seem like anything to worry about.

Giroux and Hayes could be interesting and Couts and Giroux on different lines could be good. That 3rd line looks awful. D pairs aren't great but who knows how Niskanen and Braun will fit in til they try out a few different partners. Really seems like Hagg has the inside lane with how pairings look unfortunately.

Giroux and Coots together is better. In fact, they looked really good yesterday. I think they combined for like 5 points.

It's really not that difficult.

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
JVR - Hayes - Voracek
Farabee - Laughton - Lindblom
Raffl - Bunnaman - Twarynski

That 1st and 3rd line looked good yesterday and the 2nd line has looked good most of preseason.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Giroux and Coots together is better. In fact, they looked really good yesterday. I think they combined for like 5 points.

JVR - Hayes - Voracek

That 1st and 3rd line looked good yesterday and the 2nd line has looked good most of preseason.

That line up needs more jam. Throw hagg in as a LW.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012

JVR - Hayes - Voracek

I mean, I agree, that's the best looking lineup we'll get with those players on paper. You just never know what chemistry might shakeout if you try new things. I'd prefer to keep G and Couts together and G and Voracek on separate lines but it'd still be interesting to see different combinations in that top 6.

I do hope that's the bottom 6, though. Nothing else really makes sense, besides maybe swapping JVR and Lindblom. I could see Farabee moving up later in the season if he plays well but he should start on the 3rd.

Has AV had much to say about Voracek? It seems like he's praised everyone but him and JVR, those two might have trouble staying in his good graces considering they don't always put in the best effort. Even Konecny's gotten praise since coming to camp late.

ETA from Meltzer's blog:

he gave a backhanded compliment to James van Riemsdyk (who had his best night of the preseason in that game) by saying "he was skating tonight"; the implication being that there have been times in camp where Vigneault has perceived that JVR hasn't been moving his feet.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Now they are going to try and jam Pitlick into the lineup for the opener despite the fact that he missed most of camp and didnt play in a preseason game. Why? He'd be replacing Twarynski presumably, and he has worked his butt and actually looks like he deserves to play in Game 1.

Nothing happening the past week plus makes any sense and I am really getting bad vibes.

Reactions: TheKingPin

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Now they are going to try and jam Pitlick into the lineup for the opener despite the fact that he missed most of camp and didnt play in a preseason game. Why? He'd be replacing Twarynski presumably, and he has worked his butt and actually looks like he deserves to play in Game 1.

Nothing happening the past week plus makes any sense and I am really getting bad vibes.

They’re pretty up against the cap. Obviously that’s still on Fletcher.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He hasn't even played a game yet in the AHL after being sent down. If he was truly healthy he would have played already. But die on that hill.
Yes, I'm going to die on the hill that it's possible for a player to sit out a preseason game without being injured since that's an indisputable fact.

But by all means you guys keep pretending it's impossible and turd polish away to defend every single move. :laugh: Frost is on deaths door and couldn't have possibly stayed up in the NHL as 3C!

Last edited:

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
Yeah thank god I have no meaningful expectations for this year. Fletcher & AV picking up right where the previous regime left off.

I really dont want to jump into the place I've been with this club for what seems like many years. I had optimism heading into this year, and won't pretend that perhaps I am being too hasty judging off of pre-season...

I just expected more, and there is a growing part of me that wants to burn this mother f***er to the ground. Have wanted to for some time now. I feel as there is a lot of stagnant rot, and a couple of complimentary pieces being infused here and there isn't going to change a losing and lackadaisical culture.

Really do hope they prove me wrong. The purgatory needs to end, but I see a franchise that is full of complimentary pieces, and very little more.

Last edited:

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I really dont want to jump into the place I've been with this club for what seems like many years. I had optimism heading into this year, and won't pretend that perhaps I am being too hasty judging off of pre-season...

I just expected more, and there is a growing part of me that wants to burn this mother ****er to the ground. Have wanted to for some time now.

Really do hope they prove me wrong. The purgatory needs to end.
I hope they prove me wrong but this group I don't think has it and until they do something they aren't anything but a a bunch of good individuals but a terrible team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Big f--ing deal.
Fletcher has said he's going to be shuttling players between LHV and Philly.
I expect the roster to be in flux for a few months, then Fletcher is going to move a couple veterans and open up space for the kids who earn it.

Getting upset by this or that short-term move is a waste of energy, right now they're still in the evaluation phase, once the team gets comfortable with the new schemes, the veterans who don't fit will stick out like sore thumbs.

The only real test of a NHL player is NHL games.
AV ha been through this twice and I'm sure will feel no panic at a slow start.
He'll stick to his guns until he has a roster he's comfortable throwing out there, night after night.

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
It screams they VALUE Hogg !!! It is insane

Its beyond obvious they value him. Im trying hard not to go down this hole with the club again but is it really all that shocking when you have Lappy, Therrien and Yeo as talent evaluators?

They doubled down on hockey man logic this off season because they wanted nothing but experience behind that bench. No matter how flawed that experience may be.

At the end of the day, I wont care if the wins do indeed come. We shall see, but there is some cause for concern. Lets not pretend that Chuck Fletcher and his band of Merry Men is a concrete collection of strong hockey minds. There is a reason why much of the league questioned these hirings. Again, hopefully they prove the doubts wrong.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Big f--ing deal.
Fletcher has said he's going to be shuttling players between LHV and Philly.
I expect the roster to be in flux for a few months, then Fletcher is going to move a couple veterans and open up space for the kids who earn it.

Getting upset by this or that short-term move is a waste of energy, right now they're still in the evaluation phase, once the team gets comfortable with the new schemes, the veterans who don't fit will stick out like sore thumbs.

The only real test of a NHL player is NHL games.
AV ha been through this twice and I'm sure will feel no panic at a slow start.
He'll stick to his guns until he has a roster he's comfortable throwing out there, night after night.

What you say would be a logical course of action. What you have to remember is that this team is routinely illogical, and that trait has endured through many a regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad