Speculation: 2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
I may be wrong but WOWY doesn't track scoring, just these shot metrics. Isn't the benefit of Skinner with Eichel, not that they generate more chances, its that those chances get converted to goals more frequently?

I'm not advocating for that lineup, I think Skinner and Eichel should be glued together. I'm just saying that Sheary was far better than he was given credit for around here.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Nice work.

Looks like Sheary should be in the top group. I'm not surprised to see him faring well in this. He made a lot of good things happen but he and his linemates were absolutely snake-bitten when it came to finishing the play. The bad rap he gained around here has always surprised me, especially given his tenacity and how badly this team has been lacking it.

I seem to remember him getting a lot of chances and just not finishing due to bad luck or something else. I don't really remember not liking his game other than the lack of production.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I seem to remember him getting a lot of chances and just not finishing due to bad luck or something else. I don't really remember not liking his game other than the lack of production.

He had a long scoreless drought punctuated by a single goal. He shoots a lot which may also impact events with others because he’s shooting more than other players. He never seems to be shy to try to get the puck on net.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'm just counting down the days till the pre-season, I want to be surprised by what I see this year.

Same. I want to see all the mobility on the blueline given a pre-season together, a 19-year old Dahlin, the Rochester guys who were knocking on the door, and how Krueger puts all of them together. I'm hoping for motivation and attention to detail.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I'm not advocating for that lineup, I think Skinner and Eichel should be glued together. I'm just saying that Sheary was far better than he was given credit for around here.

Sheary is trash and needs to be shot into the sun along with Sobotka

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Figured this might be the best place to ask.
When do sabre fans expect UPL to come into the nhl?

Full-time? 20-21 at the earliest. Probably 21-22. He had surgery this off-season, so I'm thinking they ease him into the AHL to start 19-20, splitting starts with Hammond. If he eventually earns the lion's share of starts, fantastic. Might see some time as an injury call-up, but Hammond can do spot duty in the NHL as well, so there's no need to rush him.

Reactions: Here4ThePopcorn

Here4ThePopcorn

Oct 5, 2018
Full-time? 20-21 at the earliest. Probably 21-22. He had surgery this off-season, so I'm thinking they ease him into the AHL to start 19-20, splitting starts with Hammond. If he eventually earns the lion's share of starts, fantastic. Might see some time as an injury call-up, but Hammond can do spot duty in the NHL as well, so there's no need to rush him.
Appreciate the heads up!
Don't know a lot about the sabers depth but UPL seemed like a monster in WJC so figured I should catch up on him

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013

This kid has become my favorite with the Raptors hat.. bold move kid.

Toronto Raptors hat. Yikes!
you probably forgot what a winner looks like watching this clown show of an organization.

I almost did too with the Jay's and Sabres til I saw the Raptors and Eagles quench my thirst for glory then I realized how miserable and pathetic this organization has become being perpetual losers like the Jay's.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
While some are lamenting the lack of off season moves, what if the team's woes were mostly attributable to coaching and player usage? Maybe Krueger slots in one or more of the Amerks players while sending one or more vets to the press box that coupled with a new system leads to cohesion and wins. Maybe Botts has built a playoff team in disguise that simply needed a new captain to right the ship. Maybe. Hopefully. Please let this be the case.

Reactions: Rowley Birkin

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Does Dahlin automatically go to the 11m aav figure or if there any possibility of a bridge say 2 / 15m and then the big 12 m

Going by the recent trends he probably pushes for something like 5 years, which is the least favorable scenario. Two would be an interesting curve ball...I agree, he’d get around 15 or 16 million for that term.

I like the idea. Might be a way to avoid the crunch as much that season? But could make some of those UFA years more expensive..

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
He'd miss.

Wherever he can get 'em to
61%2B2HCjtRdL._SX466_.jpg

Reactions: Zman5778

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Did Sheary get any time with Skinner - Eichel or Eichel - Reinhart?
He actually didn't play any meaningful time with Skinner, at al.

As for Eichel/Reinhart, that was his third most common combo, comprising 9.35% of his time. It yielded just 3 Sheary points all season. By far his most common usage was with Mitts and Okposo at 15.43% (5 points).

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
While we're on the topic of line combos...

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart was 44% of Eichel's ES time, it yielded 18 Eichel points.

Skinner-Eichel-Pominville was 19% of Eichel's ES time, it yielded 18 Eichel points.

Sheary-Eichel were together 12% of Eichel's ES time, it yielded 1 Eichel point.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
While we're on the topic of line combos...

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart was 44% of Eichel's ES time, it yielded 18 Eichel points.

Skinner-Eichel-Pominville was 19% of Eichel's ES time, it yielded 18 Eichel points.

Sheary-Eichel were together 12% of Eichel's ES time, it yielded 1 Eichel point.

What the what? Skinner and Eichel were only a thing for 63% of Eichel's ES ice time? That strikes me as incredibly low......(unless there's another RW that spent some time with those 2 that I'm forgetting about or blocking)

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Yeah i'd give sheary another chance.

Expecting him to drive play on mittelstadts wing was just another failure of phil.

He's a complimentary player. And not like pominville who can just ride along with top talent. I think he can contribute but has to be in the right spot.

I think right now we have drivers, complimentary, passengers, anchors

Drivers: dictate play
eichel, reinhart, skinner, dahlin

Complimentary: can add to the drivers, can't carry a line
Sheary, Larsson, erod, risto, pilut, montour, miller,

Passengers: don't make those around them better or worse. Don't add to skill players but won't drag them down either.
Pominville last year, vesey, girgensons, okposo, McCabe,

Anchors: sobotka, scandella, hunwick

???:
Mojo, bogo, Olo(ffsson)

From my NHL 2001 experience we need to spread the drivers with complimentary and passengers and lose the anchors.

For me not having a great idea of what to expect from olofsson and mojo makes it hard to be confident in making lines

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Expecting him to drive play on mittelstadts wing was just another failure of phil.

Was that ever an expectation though? And Casey and Sheary worked remarkably well together at the end of the season.

And I'm still hopeful that we'll be able to add Mitts to your "drivers" category soon. He showed signs of it last year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
What the what? Skinner and Eichel were only a thing for 63% of Eichel's ES ice time? That strikes me as incredibly low......(unless there's another RW that spent some time with those 2 that I'm forgetting about or blocking)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad