Speculation: 2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
I think this team can score 3 gpg this year.

Skinner- 35
Eichel - 30
Reinhart - 25
Johansson - 20
Vesey - 17
Sheary - 16
Mitts - 15
Olofsson - 15
Okposo - 13
Girgs/Larsson/Sobotka - 15

That is ~200 goals from the forwards. 45 goals from Dahlin (10-15), Risto (5-10), Miller (5-10), Montour (8-10) and the rest of the blueline is also reasonable. Those goal totals listed above are pretty much said players recent gpg average...imagine if a guy like Mitts really did break out in year 2 and became a 25-25 player? Or if Olofsson is an impact player from day 1 and puts up 20-25 goals as a rookie? Maybe Jack has some puck luck and gets 40 goals ripping the puck as often as he does. Maybe Sam has a great year in front of the net and pots 30. At the very least we can say is that we have an entire top 9 capable of all scoring 15+ goals. Hell, this doesn't even take into account Tage or Nylander. They could have a strong off season and establish themselves as true top 9 forwards this year.

This team has a lot more talent top to bottom since the last playoff teams we had under Ruff.

Now imagine if we cap the off season with a true 2c acquisition. A 20 goal, 50 point 2C to insulate Mitts one more year makes this team a wild card contender. One of Vesey, Sheary, or Mitts will have an above average (20+ goal season) imo. Anything can happen. A team who won 10 in a row and was in first at Thanksgiving finished bottom 6. A team in last on new years won the cup. Just get to the playoffs. Anything can happen.
Considering a safe formula for your posts last offseason was to divide your claims by 2 to get the actual value, I'm pretty worried.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Yes, getting a Cup/Conn Smyth winning Center, a Jennings Goalie, and building the type of heavy winger team that won the cup this year. Terrible job.

He also hired a coach who the entire room hated, and his best defensive acquisition was...Josh Gorges???

Murray should always get credit for getting oreilly and Eichel, but outside of those moves, it was mostly trash.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I do, actually. Home with Father and more ice space vs. tighter space.

I think the thing that took the biggest hit in his development was confidence.

Nylander saw what is brother did and if he thinks he is better than his brother then he got fruestrated he didnt get a chance. this affects motivation--not so much as confidence.

Buffalo intentionally kept in Rochester to keep him exempt from a proposed 2020 ED. last year it was moved to 2021.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
What about the raises due to Reinhart, Mitts, Thompson, Montour, and Pilut? That basically eats up almost all of that cap space right there.

Reinhart is the big one, obviously. Mitts would be traded in my scenario. Thompson depends on Thompson. Montour and Pilut combined are the same or cheaper than Sam. Sam goes from 3.65 to 7. Montour from 3.3 to 4.5. Pilut goes to 2.2, let’s say. Arttu replaces Gus at half the price.

I think it’s worth it to have a forward core of Eichel, Skinner, Conner, Sam locked up for 5 seasons. Two dynamic scoring lines, funnel up young defense from a stocked pipeline to replace older, more expensive blueliners. Borgen isn’t far off. Neither is Bryson, imo.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
So you changed your entire argument from "Murray ruined the team by rushing players" to "Murray would've ruined the team by rushing players but he wasn't good enough."

What a waste of time this crap is.
When posed the question, I realized that Regier was actually the one more guilty of doing what I said. Murray was guilty of something different, but my argument only changed because I realized I was wrong.

Heaven forbid someone be wrong and actually admit it around here. Sorry that bothered you so much. :laugh:

EDIT: And I never said Murray would've ruined the team if he had prospects... in a later post I even said it'd be interesting to see what he did because none of us know.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What about the raises due to Reinhart, Mitts, Thompson, Montour, and Pilut? That basically eats up almost all of that cap space right there.

Montour looks like something near $6M
Thompson $1M
Pilut--$2M bridge depending on how much NHL he plays

Reinhart--say he gets $8M

the change is abour 2.2M+0.1M+1.1M+4.5M=8.9M= aboue Sgeary+Hunwick+Sobotka

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Nylander saw what is brother did and if he thinks he is better than his brother then he got fruestrated he didnt get a chance. this affects motivation--not so much as confidence.

Buffalo intentionally kept in Rochester to keep him exempt from a proposed 2020 ED. last year it was moved to 2021.

Thats some next level make believe.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
You did a great job finding the anomaly from all the way last year, but that doesn't hide the fact that all last fall I read over and over again how weird it was that the offseason played out like that, and so I feel that his point still stands as he explained it.

Good point but I think it's going to be more the norm this year as opposed to the exception. Too many teams under the gun, especially cap-wise.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
When posed the question, I realized that Regier was actually the one more guilty of doing what I said. Murray was guilty of something different, but my argument only changed because I realized I was wrong.

Heaven forbid someone be wrong and actually admit it around here. Sorry that bothered you so much. :laugh:

Murray managed when??

14/15--fed by 2010-2012 drafts+ a few from earlier drafts or later drafts
15/16--fed by 2011-2013 drafts+ a few from earlier drafts or later drafts
16/17--fed by 2011-2014 drafts+ a few from earlier drafts or later drafts

Most of this time was under Darcy;s watch

Buddalo drafted high in 2013-2015 so usually those go directly to the NHL

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Thats some next level make believe.

No its not...its asset management

if the ED was in 2020--Nylander, Dahim, Borgen,, Pilut, and a bunch others would have been ED exempt. This could have allowed Buffalo to go 8-1 instead of 7-3-1

With Nylander his contract slid if he didnt play 10 MHL games

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Reinhart is the big one, obviously. Mitts would be traded in my scenario. Thompson depends on Thompson. Montour and Pilut combined are the same or cheaper than Sam. Sam goes from 3.65 to 7. Montour from 3.3 to 4.5. Pilut goes to 2.2, let’s say. Arttu replaces Gus at half the price.

I think it’s worth it to have a forward core of Eichel, Skinner, Conner, Sam locked up for 5 seasons. Two dynamic scoring lines, funnel up young defense from a stocked pipeline to replace older, more expensive blueliners. Borgen isn’t far off. Neither is Bryson, imo.

I have much different numbers than you, I’d add 1.5M to each player based on recent signings.

BloFan4Life

Jul 8, 2009
NY
Montour looks like something near $6M
Thompson $1M
Pilut--$2M bridge depending on how much NHL he plays

Reinhart--say he gets $8M

the change is abour 2.2M+0.1M+1.1M+4.5M=8.9M= aboue Sgeary+Hunwick+Sobotka

Montour has been a trainwreck the last two years. Him at 6 million is laughable.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Short of the magical Risto for #2 center strategy, I'm starting to wonder if our best, though not ideal, way forward may be to just build a 2nd defensive line but signing or trading for a Boyle/Bonino type. It would make for two lines of low event/low scoring/boring hockey, and put a lot of scoring pressure on our top 2 lines, but might just be the best way forward at this point:

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson/Vesey/Sheary/Nylander
Johansson-Mitts-Reinhart
Smith-Boyle/Bonino/X-Rodrigues
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

It's not perfect, but at least there's direction there. The strategy is evident: win with your top 6, break even with your bottom 6.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Regarding Nylander's development it's not as simple as SHL vs. AHL. I think he signed with Rögle BK and then was loaned to OHL to be able to play in the AHL.
While SHL/HA can be really good for work rate, defensive positioning since it's a defense first league, especially for a team like Rögle was back then (they're up and coming now) but it might not be the best environment for Nylander who needs to develop his offensive game. Liljegren is a good example - he was loaned back and forth between SHL/HA and never got a real role on a team.

Then you have an extreme variety in facilities, coaches, intensity during practice, "pre-season culture" (northern teams often collaborate with the national ski-team, they basically torture themselves. Southern teams collaborate more with the track and field elite).
As an NHL team I'd want my prospect on a team expected to be on the top half and with professional facilities: Frölunda, Skellefteå, Växjö, Luleå or HV71 (in that order). Other teams could work from case to case as well.

Anyway, the decision to put him in Rochester might not have been the worst.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
No its not...its asset management

if the ED was in 2020--Nylander, Dahim, Borgen,, Pilut, and a bunch others would have been ED exempt. This could have allowed Buffalo to go 8-1 instead of 7-3-1

With Nylander his contract slid if he didnt play 10 MHL games

Nylander being kept down because of when a possible expansion draft multiple years in the future might happen is a major league reach. Just because you think it lines up after the fact is about as useful as your thinking Moulson was going to retire out of the last year or two of his contract.

Especially when Nylander's spot somehow went to Thompson, you know, Botts guy that he targeted in a trade. The obvious answer being most likely and all that.

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
Short of the magical Risto for #2 center strategy, I'm starting to wonder if our best, though not ideal, way forward may be to just build a 2nd defensive line but signing or trading for a Boyle/Bonino type. It would make for two lines of low event/low scoring/boring hockey, and put a lot of scoring pressure on our top 2 lines, but might just be the best way forward at this point:

Skinner-Eichel-Olofsson/Vesey/Sheary/Nylander
Johansson-Mitts-Reinhart
Smith-Boyle/Bonino/X-Rodrigues
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

It's not perfect, but at least there's direction there. The strategy is evident: win with your top 6, break even with your bottom 6.

Despite his size, inexperience, and the possibility of him returning to Finland I wonder if they liked what they seen so far of Ruotsalainen and might want to see him in some preseason play to see if he can fill a role as well.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Due to his booze and mental health issues. He was scouted correctly and if he was the player here he was on the Island people would be thrilled.

Wouldn't have happened if he wasn't behind a Trotz team. He would've been better than in Buffalo, both not playing behind a Housley D-zone scheme and being sober, but he's not going to be a Vezina goalie again. I don't go out on limbs with predictions, but Lehner is not going to match those numbers again. I like him, I hoped he would get his crap together as a Sabre, even though the trade to get him was stooopid (Lehner and Legwand for #21). He's just not THAT good, and he never would have been that good in Buffalo. Getting his head on straight was partly the responsibility of the Sabres management, and TM didn't know or do anything about it, even though he already knew Lehner from Ottawa.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Latvia vs Kazakhstan
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $265.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Norway vs Denmark
    Norway vs Denmark