Speculation: 2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
Was that ever an expectation though? And Casey and Sheary worked remarkably well together at the end of the season.

And I'm still hopeful that we'll be able to add Mitts to your "drivers" category soon. He showed signs of it last year.
Yeah I think mitts has that potential.

I guess hindsight is 20/20 but putting sheary with eichel and skinner and mitts with erod and reinhart could have given him more development and the team more scoring in my opinion

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Just spitballing here, but any interest in Derick Brassard as a cheap UFA option to stopgap at #2C??? Would 2yrs/$7.5M get it done? If Mitts passes him on depth chart, Brassard is more than capable of playing #3C checking role...

If you could flog off Scandella to a team needing LD like say MTL or ANA for a late RND pick or some other small dump, the cap hit would essentially be a wash.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart
Sheary-Brassard-Johansson
Vesey-Mittelstadt-Rodrigues
Girgensons-Larsson-Okposo

X. Smith, Olofsson, Thompson, Nylander

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Miller
McCabe-Ristolainen

X. Bogosian, Hunwick, Nelson

Ullmark
Hutton
X. Hammond

Thoughts?

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Just spitballing here, but any interest in Derick Brassard as a cheap UFA option to stopgap at #2C??? Would 2yrs/$7.5M get it done? If Mitts passes him on depth chart, Brassard is more than capable of playing #3C checking role...

If you could flog off Scandella to a team needing LD like say MTL or ANA for a late RND pick or some other small dump, the cap hit would essentially be a wash.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Miller
McCabe-Ristolainen

Ullmark
Hutton
X. Hammond

Thoughts?
Not exactly:

Screen Shot 2019-07-08 at 10.38.00 PM.png

Reactions: Chainshot

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Shot blocking is entirely affected by the defensive system being utilized (umbrella, passive box, collapse), and the other personnel on the ice with him - it does not confirm nor deny Brassard's ability to play in a different (Kreuger's) system w/ different players, yielding a different result.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Shot blocking is entirely affected by the defensive system being utilized (umbrella, passive box, collapse), and the other personnel on the ice with him - it does not confirm nor deny Brassard's ability to play in a different (Kreuger's) system w/ different players, yielding a different result.
Check out his other charts. They all tell the same story: the only shots Brassard is good at suppressing are his own team's. And he makes those around him worse.

Brassard PIT 1819

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Check out his other charts. They all tell the same story: the only shots Brassard is good at suppressing are his own team's. And he makes those around him worse.

Brassard PIT 1819

But how do his historic numbers look? (not a subscriber there)

It's well established that Brassard had a down year last year. Is that a trend or may it be a one-year thing with a possibility for a bounceback?

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Brassard PIT 1819

Mmmhhhmmm... You get that I'm not interested in him as a defenseman or playing goaltender... Nor do I really want ANY of our forwards laying down in front of shots constantly - that's when the broken bones & lost man games start to pile up. if shot blocking is all "checking centre" means to you and your many, many colourful ink-blot charts than nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise im afraid... It also seems you may have a personal vendetta against Brassard in general...

Ill just put you don't for a simple 'nay' then...

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Mmmhhhmmm... You get that I'm not interested in him as a defenseman or playing goaltender... Nor do I really want ANY of our forwards laying down in front of shots constantly - that's when the broken bones & lost man games start to pile up. if shot blocking is all "checking centre" means to you and your many, many colourful ink-blot charts than nothing I say is going to convince you otherwise im afraid... It also seems you may have a personal vendetta against Brassard in general...

I'll agree to disagree on Brassard, but shot suppression numbers have little to nothing to do with shot blocking.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011

That 2nd line makes me want to throw up.

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Miller
McCabe-Ristolainen

Ullmark
Hutton
X. Hammond

Thoughts?

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Miller
McCabe-Ristolainen

Ullmark
Hutton
X. Hammond

Thoughts?

L2 (Without 2C addition)
Johansson-Reinhart-Olaufsson

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007

Those charts have nothing to do with shot blocking and literally do not even measure blocked shots.

Reactions: jc17 and Husko

Blitz

Dec 14, 2009
Ontario
Those charts have nothing to do with shot blocking and literally do not even measure blocked shots.

The title of the chart is '5 v 5 unblocked shot rates'... How does that have "nothing to do with shot blocking.."???

You're technically right I guess as they actually measure unblocked shots, not the blocked ones lol... Potato, pot@to..

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The title of the chart is '5 v 5 unblocked shot rates'... How does that have "nothing to do with shot blocking.."???

You're technically right I guess as they actually measure unblocked shots, not the blocked ones lol... Potato, pot@to..

And when Brassard was on the ice last year, a megaton of shots from hi danger areas got through to the net. Over the course of a season, that's no coincidence. It indicates poor defensive play.

Though as I've said -- I do wonder if his year last year and general time with PIT was the outlier.......and if asked to take on a more offensively-oriented 2C role he could get back to 2C form.

ForsbergMoDo21

Feb 19, 2008
Rochester NY
If anyone is to be tasked with firing Sobotka into the sun it should be a tried and true logo sniper. Maybe Girgensons. Dead center.

Just firing him into space is too risky. While it’s true that over eons, orbits decay and he would eventually crash into another body or the sun, that does not factor in the vector of his active suckitude. That could perpetually keep him in motion within the solar system and leave the Sabres forever at risk of his eventual return.

Not to mention he would essentially be a comet, and the Earths passing through the remnants of his dust tail would cause periodic atmospheric exposure to Sobotka particles.

It has to be the sun.

Reactions: N.Y. Orangeman

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Skinner-Eichel-Reinhart

Dahlin-Montour
Pilut-Miller
McCabe-Ristolainen

Ullmark
Hutton
X. Hammond

Thoughts?
7.5 million for 2 years? Ooof. Paying him that type of money is insanity. I wouldn't give him anything over 1 million for 1 year. Prove it deal. If he can do better elsewhere go for it.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

It could just be retitled “shot rate,” think of it that way. Their risk score is like 5 times higher when he’s on the ice. That’s an indication that he’s really hurting his team defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad