2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I didn't seem to argue with this that we should improve the protection, it just seems to me that it’s time to trade Risto to help in top 6.

If they can make a deal that improves the team, I'm all for it.

If all they get back is a bunch of junk that doesn't help the team in the name of "shaking up the core", then no thank you.

I don't buy into the "addition by subtraction" with Risto. They need to figure out a way to get improved play on defense.

And giving Risto's minutes to Nelson & Bogosian doesn't make the team better, IMO.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
No one has answered me in the Twitter-verse about how Zaitsev, who has issues exiting his own zone that have been detailed out by some stat-a-holics in the Leaf Blog-o-sphere, is worth defending as a guy who has had hard use in areas that don't fit his skills but had an appreciable bump in his metrics playing with Jake Muzzin is yet Ristolainen, with similar issues and yet even WORSE use and QOT is a giant cow pie.

I appreciate you having pulled those numbers. Context matters. I love me some RAPM, but it has to be looked at in the context of the team a player is on, the role they are being used, their deployment, and teammates. The poster-boy for "get this guy off my team, he's dead" to "hey, Cooper is a genius" has to be Girardi pre-and-post buyout. I keep hearing how players don't change their spots, yet I keep seeing these charts with variability from year to year. And I keep seeing guys who are crushed in those charts getting contracts and being in demand in the hockey world -- which might be old school mentality that they are valuing visual keys that aren't important for actual results, but I have a feeling someone looking at a player being deployed in shut-down role vs. someone being deployed in an offensive role who is viewing the context of it would notice. And the context would be decisive.

Short answer: I agree.
This is the point of the regression in RAPM for what it's worth.

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014
I agree, but he’s an upgrade over Sobotka and Okposo. If we can get him for futures I think it would be a smart decision.

Okposo isn't going anywhere, and pretty much any forward in the league would be an upgrade over Sobotka. Why settle for a slightly less awful player? Aim higher.

Reactions: jc17

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
This is the point of the regression in RAPM for what it's worth.

When the model tells me that Gagner has a greater impact than Kopitar, it tells me that they have unsuccessfully translated their regression model from basketball to hockey... I get that there are going to be statistical outliers in any model, but as @Chainshot mentioned, the RAPM charts dangerously ignore context, and the inconsistency for individual players from year to year is staggering.

To be honest I'd rather people go back to posting Hero & Warrior charts, at least those used more raw data and less interpolation leading to faulty conclusions

upload_2019-6-21_11-13-53.png

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015

I’m really starting to dislike this guy. Between his Risto trade return tweet and this one, he keeps scaring the crap out of me. Really, really hope he’s just throwing stuff at the wall.

Please Botts, don’t ruin the draft for me tonight with a terrible trade.

I’d be ok with Vesey, but only for a mid/late pick or something like that. No interest in Vesey for McCabe.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
What's interesting is the Rangers seem to have a quick turn-around planned. So why wouldn't Vesey be in those plans? They basically have the same need as the Sabres to build out scoring lines and bolster their D. So why exactly is there a fit with a McCabe/Vesey swap. It doesn't make sense to me.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I’d be ok with Vesey, but only for a mid/late pick or something like that. No interest in Vesey for McCabe.
We already threw away one midround pick on Vesey, now we have to throw McCabe away on a player who just doesn't want to be here at all?

I don't understand the sense of trading an asset for this particular player. He had his chance and refused to even entertain the idea of signing with us, and now we're going to acquire him away from a better team with a brighter future? That should make him extra pleasant to be around. Nothing but upside here.

I'm really running out of things I can point to in support of team management. If this trade goes through, my god...

Reactions: brian_griffin

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Anyone listening to Dreger on WGR right now?

Mentioned something about Nylander and Vesey, but I didn’t catch the whole thing.

No way Nylander moves for Vesey, right?

Edit - I think he said Nylander has been discussed and could be on the move, but not necessarily in a Vesey trade.

Goathead

Jan 28, 2015
Niagara Falls, ON
So Bott’s big thing is character as is the reason he traded he who shall not be named. But acquiring a guy who doesn’t want to be here is completely acceptable to him? Get this guy the **** outta here. I’m flabbergasted that we are even thinking about Vesey. HES NOT GOOD.

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
We already threw away one midround pick on Vesey, now we have to throw McCabe away on a player who just doesn't want to be here at all?

I don't understand the sense of trading an asset for this particular player. He had his chance and refused to even entertain the idea of signing with us, and now we're going to acquire him away from a better team with a brighter future? That should make him extra pleasant to be around. Nothing but upside here.

I'm really running out of things I can point to in support of team management. If this trade goes through, my god...

Vesey is FAR from my first choice for a trade acquisition. But the Sabres do need depth, and if he only costs a 4th or later, I can live with it.

If they trade McCabe for Vesey, I’ll be pissed. Even more so if he walks in a year. We’d be trading a decent top 4 RFA defenseman for a middle 6 forward who will be UFA in a year. That doesn’t sound like a very good deal to me.

I’m trying not to get too worried yet, though. It’s not like Chad Dedominicis is Bob McKenzie or something.

I certainly don’t believe everything he says without question, that’s for sure.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY

I’m really starting to dislike this guy. Between his Risto trade return tweet and this one, he keeps scaring the crap out of me. Really, really hope he’s just throwing stuff at the wall.

Please Botts, don’t ruin the draft for me tonight with a terrible trade.

Hes got some pretty good ties. If hes posting it, then he has some good ties. He doesnt just post for the sake of posting

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
Anyone listening to Dreger on WGR right now?

Mentioned something about Nylander and Vesey, but I didn’t catch the whole thing.

No way Nylander moves for Vesey, right?

Edit - I think he said Nylander has been discussed and could be on the move, but not necessarily in a Vesey trade.

He said nylander and 31 are in play for moves, and nylander specifically he said may not be tied to Vesey

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

UnleashRasmus

Rasmus has gone Super Saiyan VI!
Apr 15, 2012
Nashville Tennessee
At this point my greatest hope for this off-season is that it's Jason Botterill's last as Sabres GM. He has a couple of months to change the trajectory but I've seen no evidence he's capable of that.

Would you rather have Chuck Fletcher, who just added close to 15M in cap on with three players. Overpaying one, sending a relatively useful headache in Gudas for a downgrade defensively while taking on more cap and paying 30 percent of Gudas' remaining contract. I understand the feeling, but there are few GM's that are perfect. We're not in the running for Yzerman, BriesBois etc. New ownership is a more realistic fantasy. The same goes for still venting about ROR. He's gone, move on. There's nothing we can do about it.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Would you rather have Chuck Fletcher, who just added close to 15M in cap on with three players. Overpaying one, sending a relatively useful headache in Gudas for a downgrade defensively while taking on more cap and paying 30 percent of Gudas' remaining contract. I understand the feeling, but there are few GM's that are perfect. We're not in the running for Yzerman, BriesBois etc. New ownership is a more realistic fantasy. The same goes for still venting about ROR. He's gone, move on. There's nothing we can do about it.
Honestly, give me Chuck at this point.

Side note i love the rumor that Chiarelli is probably joining Bennings staff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: