2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017
It's amazing how many players have similar Corsi to Risto in the minutes they're deployed in. The funny part is that Risto's performance in the those minutes would actually substantially improve if he wasn't on the ice with the Scandellas and Sobotkas of the world...

upload_2019-6-21_9-6-34.png

Reactions: Chainshot

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Risto was always terrible, his cons overlap its advantages. I do not understand how he will improve, given his skating, IQ and game on the defensive. Of course, he scored 40+ points, well, so he played for 25 minutes, limit his time to 20 minutes and almost nothing will change, only it will be less points.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Risto was always terrible, his cons overlap its advantages. I do not understand how he will improve, given his skating, IQ and game on the defensive. Of course, he scored 40+ points, well, so he played for 25 minutes, limit his time to 20 minutes and almost nothing will change, only it will be less points.

Not if he still gets 1PP time and you get him off the PK.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington

What's wrong with Risto's skating??

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
It's amazing how many players have similar Corsi to Risto in the minutes they're deployed in. The funny part is that Risto's performance in the those minutes would actually substantially improve if he wasn't on the ice with the Scandellas and Sobotkas of the world...

View attachment 238583

No one has answered me in the Twitter-verse about how Zaitsev, who has issues exiting his own zone that have been detailed out by some stat-a-holics in the Leaf Blog-o-sphere, is worth defending as a guy who has had hard use in areas that don't fit his skills but had an appreciable bump in his metrics playing with Jake Muzzin is yet Ristolainen, with similar issues and yet even WORSE use and QOT is a giant cow pie.

I appreciate you having pulled those numbers. Context matters. I love me some RAPM, but it has to be looked at in the context of the team a player is on, the role they are being used, their deployment, and teammates. The poster-boy for "get this guy off my team, he's dead" to "hey, Cooper is a genius" has to be Girardi pre-and-post buyout. I keep hearing how players don't change their spots, yet I keep seeing these charts with variability from year to year. And I keep seeing guys who are crushed in those charts getting contracts and being in demand in the hockey world -- which might be old school mentality that they are valuing visual keys that aren't important for actual results, but I have a feeling someone looking at a player being deployed in shut-down role vs. someone being deployed in an offensive role who is viewing the context of it would notice. And the context would be decisive.

Short answer: I agree.

Reactions: Fezzy126 and Hasek

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Not if he still gets 1PP time and you get him off the PK.
I don’t see how he gets PP1 in the presence of Dahlin, he shouldn't play on the PK at all, but then it’s not clear who will play there, when playing 5 on 5 Risto is terrible in defense.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I don’t see how he gets PP1 in the presence of Dahlin, he shouldn't play on the PK at all, but then it’s not clear who will play there, when playing 5 on 5 Risto is terrible in defense.

Towards the end of last season, Dahlin replaced Okposo on the RHW on PP1 with Risto up top.

They could go with Risto and Dahlin on PP1 and get creative with two really good PP dmen out there.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Towards the end of last season, Dahlin replaced Okposo on the RHW on PP1 with Risto up top.

They could go with Risto and Dahlin on PP1 and get creative with two really good PP dmen out there.
I agree, they could, but this would not solve the problem of Risto, we just need another good defender in the top 4, who plays well in defense.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I don't disagree.

With or without Ristolainen, they need to improve the defense this off season.
I didn't seem to argue with this that we should improve the protection, it just seems to me that it’s time to trade Risto to help in top 6.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
I agree, they could, but this would not solve the problem of Risto, we just need another good defender in the top 4, who plays well in defense.

PP has ran best with Jack at the point. Not going with 2 defensemen if that keeps Jack off of the point where he is most effective

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
PP has ran best with Jack at the point. Not going with 2 defensemen if that keeps Jack off of the point where he is most effective
I liked what little bit we saw of Eichel, Dahlin and VO together on the PP (or am I just imagining seeing that, lol it’s been a long week)

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

View attachment 238583
Risto made bonehead plays.

It had nothing to do with his partners. Risto is still a top 4 defender. Some people make him the scapegoat.

MayDayMayDay

But what is grief, if not love persevering?
Feb 22, 2012
Peoria, AZ
May or may not have been discussed already, but would anyone here be interested in a 1-year flier on Corey Perry? And would he be interested in a 1-year flier on us?

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
that was a very nice PP. Have Jack and Dahlin at the point with the PP running through Jack. Let VO be the one to rip one timers with Sam planted in the goalie's face
Teams focus and cheat when Jack is on the side, having him at the point running it with VO one timing has the added benefit of giving teams another look to combat. Once they catch on to that they can transition him back down because it gives teams another look they have to be aware of.

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
"Great" is a stretch. He's a one dimensional player, and not particularly good at that one dimension.

I agree, but he’s an upgrade over Sobotka and Okposo. If we can get him for futures I think it would be a smart decision.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Risto made bonehead plays.

It had nothing to do with his partners. Risto is still a top 4 defender. Some people make him the scapegoat.

Since when was Risto a scapegoat? I don't remember people ever blaming Risto for losses or the standings. In fact, he's gotten by pretty well unscathed. Reinhart, Eichel, and others have received more blame for losses than Risto has. Anytime Risto came up for criticism, it was quickly dismissed as the coach over working him. Whenever something bad happened on a play, it was the other defenseman that was blamed. Often times Scandella would get the blame, even if Ristolainen was equally to blame.

I hope you're not confusing fair criticism of Ristolainen as people trying to make him a scapegoat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad