2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
We are righting past wrongs. We will trade for Vesey and Sergachev. They will be ours!

At this point I'm just trying to figure out which NBA team I should root for. As much as I want to watch Dahlin, I'll catch highlights. This organization is detestable, at best, and i'm not paying to watch it anymore. The cost of keeping cable is absolutely ridiculous.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Risto is not that good anyways. Not sure why people are expecting the world here
Age, history and market. He's only 24 and has been in the league forever in extremely difficult situations and he has done well. He has a great contract and there are not that many top pairing potential D available. I understand that nowadays people are extremely impatient and are quick to label players as busts or anoint them as stars, but 24 years old for a defenceman has a long way to go.

If Botts does not get the world for him, then he doesn't trade him. If he trades him for anything less, then it is terrible value management.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
When people talk possession stats and +/- with Ristolainen look at Tyler Myers. It was pretty similar. Myers had terrible possession stats in Buffalo, and respectable stats in Winnipeg.

Ristolainen IMO is a much more complete player than Myers ever was in Buffalo. If Risto goes to Tampa expect his advanced stats to improve dramatically. We will regret this trade.

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011
When people talk possession stats and +/- with Ristolainen look at Tyler Myers. It was pretty similar. Myers had terrible possession stats in Buffalo, and respectable stats in Winnipeg.

Ristolainen IMO is a much more complete player than Myers ever was in Buffalo. If Risto goes to Tampa expect his advanced stats to improve dramatically. We will regret this trade.
He will also be on a vastly superior team, which will organically inflate his stats

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
One thought I had this morning was could the Sabres pry Cirelli (option A) or Sergachev (option B) out of Tampa in a Risto trade if they take back Callahan and someone like Miller?

NEcoli

Apr 13, 2014

I don't recall any profound regret over losing Tyler Myers when his stats improved on a better team. The only regret about trading Ristolainen - from those who understand context - will be that it wasn't done sooner, when they could've gotten a much better return :coughcoughTaylorHallcough:

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Ristolainen will have better possession metrics with better players but there is 400 games of evidence that he will make those better players worse when he’s on the ice than a replacement level player. Yes he can go along for some rides....but he is the cause of their being less rides to be taken on.

And again...if your argument is he can be carried to be better...what the hell are you afraid of losing?

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The big plus to Ristolainen is that he is top 10 in the NHL over the past four years in PP Pts by a defenseman.

He is one point behind Doughty and ahead of guys like Klingberg, OEL, Letang, and PK Subban.

And he is 22nd in points in general by defensemen which puts him between Dougie Hamilton and Duncan Keith.

All while being on one of the worst offensive teams in the league over the past four seasons.

Reactions: Husko and Hasek

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Unless the price on Vesey is small (like, less than a 3rd round pick or swap of depth players), I certainly don't get why we'd go after him. We've got Skinner, Oloffson, Sheary, Rodrigues, Girgensons, CJ Smith. He's a LH shot, which we have plenty of. His production is pretty average for middle 6.

If we give up anything of value for him, I'll be pretty peeved

OkimLom

May 3, 2010

In what way is Risto a much more complete player?

I would not regret a trade where a player just doesn't fit the team. Risto is that.

Scherbs

Feb 16, 2016
Ontario
Vesey’s wiki page shows his as a Sabre...:help:
got-cover02-1_3mm1.910.jpg

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
In what way is Risto a much more complete player?

I would not regret a trade where a player just doesn't fit the team. Risto is that.

I'm not opposed at all to trading Risto (in a GOOD trade for us)

But there's a future where trading Risto looks like another downstream effect of the catastrophic Botts/Housley era....

Risto has been straight terrible the last two years. And he struggled in prior systems. But I can't shake the idea that once again, we could be fixing the wrong problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad