2019-20 Roster Speculation Pt. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Callahan still counts towards their cap during the off season, he won't disapear until the season starts which will only allow them to use his cap space after the season starts.

It still has it downside.
I get it. But a team, say in Michigan, can take on that deal without worry of a roster spot and get a pick out of the transaction. It does give tb flexibility. If on the other hand the league says the injury is no different than the arthritis someone would get after a knee injury, it is a roster spot that needs to be traded.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Almost anything is better than what we got. If our GM is that bad then we have no hope. So I prefer to believe the bonus scared every team.

200.webp

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
It's bad enough we've suffered for so long as a fan base but I'm actually now frightened by what may come next. I never had this sickly apprehension with Murray or Darcy.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
It's bad enough we've suffered for so long as a fan base but I'm actually now frightened by what may come next. I never had this sickly apprehension with Murray or Darcy.
This offseason should prove if last season was an unfortunate fluke, or if they are just incompetent in valuing players. The draft won't impact that for me, but once we get to July 1 or see some trades we'll find out.

If they blow it again it's going to be rough because it botts has another year or 2. And there's no guarantee that his replacement has half a brain.

Then its 5 more wasted years...

darcyRegier

Mar 27, 2017
I don’t see how Horvat/Boeser are available from Vancouver’s side and I don’t see how Risto and 7OV comes close to making them available.

Yea it’s more of a pipe dream. Horvat is really good though and I would love to have him as our long term 2C.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
No way Callahan would just sit out if he wasn’t truly injured. He is a warrior and has way too much pride to do that. He’s played through tons of injuries in his career.

Callahan opens up about back injury

Eh, I think its similar to the Hossa situation where it's a 100% real thing, it's just not something he's willing to play through now that the circumstances changed. For Hossa, it was his salary dropping to 1M. For Callahan, It's an injury he'd willing to play through it....for a contending team (the bolts).

I'm sure they asked for his NTC list (16 teams) and told him he would be moved or they could have the doctors put him on LTIR and they could simply move his rights to another team.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
f*** it. The limited information, mixed with a lot of speculative chatter, reminds me of the lead-up to the You-Know-Who trade. That is, "Sources say Sabres are really working the phones! They're asking for top prospects! They want your first round pick! There should be a market for a #1 guy like this!" Aaaannnnddd...then....

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Trades historically have picked up through the evening before the draft and then the day of the draft. Curious if that will be the case tonight/early tomorrow.

Reactions: SundherDome

WeDislikeEich

Jun 22, 2015
Eh, I think its similar to the Hossa situation where it's a 100% real thing, it's just not something he's willing to play through now that the circumstances changed. For Hossa, it was his salary dropping to 1M. For Callahan, It's an injury he'd willing to play through it....for a contending team (the bolts).

I'm sure they asked for his NTC list (16 teams) and told him he would be moved or they could have the doctors put him on LTIR and they could simply move his rights to another team.
I mean, I’m sure that played some factor in Hossa’s decision.
But I think for Hossa the main thing was his condition got way worse and he had to go on this super scary immunosuppressive drug with an FDA black box warning.

He had to go get blood tests every 2 weeks to make sure his organs weren’t failing from this medication, and he also had to have periodic tests to make sure the medication wasn’t causing any tumor growth (cancer is another possible side effect of the med., among many other scary potential side effects).

That he even took that medication for a season to keep playing is crazy.

He said he had a whole bunch of duffel bags stuffed full of boxes of that medication in case the hawks made a playoff run. He came home one day after the season was over and his wife had them all stacked up on the kitchen table and he said it really hit home for him what he was putting his body through and that’s kind of what sealed the deal.
He was taking this terrible medication that wasn’t even fixing the problem. It was just helping barely enough that he could fight through, but he was still miserable, and every day he stayed on the medication was a gamble that it could cause permanent damage to his body.

If you have a subscription to the Athletic and haven’t yet read the interview with Hossa, it’s a good read. I really felt for him after reading everything he was going through, and haven’t doubted his story since.

As far as Callahan goes, his salary is the same as it was last year ($4.7M), and only $1.8M lower than his salary during the highest 2 years of his current deal. So I don’t really know that money is a factor in his decision.
He said he wanted to continue playing after this contract was up, too.

Reactions: Jamie Walker

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Trades historically have picked up through the evening before the draft and then the day of the draft. Curious if that will be the case tonight/early tomorrow.
Agreed, with the awards and the GM meetings. Most of guys will chat over dinner and that leads to midnight oil burning or we will chat in the AM.

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Risto + 31 for Miller + 26

26 + Nylander for Zucker

Trade Scandella for a 7th, trade Sheary for a 7th (just alleviate some cap room)

Free agency:

sign Donskoi (4x4), Stralman (4x2 years)

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Miller-Donskoi
Zucker-Mittelstadt-ERod
Girgs-Larsson-Smith

Dahlin-Stralman
McCabe-Montour
Pilut-Bogo

Zucker and Miller are 27 and 26 respectively, both on pretty good contracts. Great options for the top 6. Donskoi has been very much discussed on here.

Wasn't sure about Stralman but we need a right shot partner for Dahlin that isn't Bogo. Maybe someone has a better idea.

edit: If we have to take back Callahan in the Tampa trade as a dump, we might need to clear additional cap space for one year.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Risto + 31 for Miller + 26

26 + Nylander for Zucker

Trade Scandella for a 7th, trade Sheary for a 7th (just alleviate some cap room)

Free agency:

sign Donskoi (4x4), Stralman (4x2 years)

Olofsson-Eichel-Reinhart
Skinner-Miller-Donskoi
Zucker-Mittelstadt-ERod
Girgs-Larsson-Smith

Dahlin-Stralman
McCabe-Montour
Pilut-Bogo

Zucker and Miller are 27 and 26 respectively, both on pretty good contracts. Great options for the top 6. Donskoi has been very much discussed on here.

Wasn't sure about Stralman but we need a right shot partner for Dahlin that isn't Bogo. Maybe someone has a better idea.

edit: If we have to take back Callahan in the Tampa trade as a dump, we might need to clear additional cap space for one year.

This is terrible.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
Nothing is going to happen, the same way nothing happens every year. The NHL GMs are going to pick players in roughly the same order as Bob McKenzie's list, with 2 or 3 surprises. Same as every year.

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
dude what is with the Vesey rumors? I just don't get it, he's really not that good.

Yeah, if they have Kreider available (who's not perfect, but better than Jimmy freaking Vesey), don't bite unless they're giving away Vesey for really cheap.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
And the Sabres are going to pick Podkolzin, who is "falling" since he was 3rd on McKenzie's list, despite the fact he doesn't score. No worries, I'm sure he's going to start producing once he gets to the NHL. I mean he WOULD be Tarasenko if he SCORED GOALS, but he doesn't. Don't worry, though, he tries hard. Ya know, he doesn't skate well, but tries hard.

I feel it would be discriminatory to hold his bad skating against him, and that's unconstitutional, despite the fact he's Russian, and not an American citizen. Ever think about that? Huh? You probably didn't. Well guess what?!?!? This dude is probably still waiting for a train somewhere because he doesn't speak English. You should be trying to help him, you piece of shit, you f***ing moron

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
Not too many teams can help Tampa Bay out of caphell. I wonder what JT Miller would cost outside of a Risto trade. He should be in the sweet spot between asset and capdump value-wise.
#31? Less?

Uberpecker

Mar 3, 2011
dude what is with the Vesey rumors? I just don't get it, he's really not that good.

If this were to come true this would be so f***ing dumb. Of all the below average options, they choose the guy who already said no to Buffalo once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad