Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Good to see Byram getting more positive recognition.

A little perspective, when Cale Makar was the age Byram is right now, he was playing junior A in Alberta. That doesn’t in any way mean Byram will be Makar, but I just like to let people understand just how young and good Bo is.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I might still be out to lunch with this opinion, but I feel like Byram is gonna be our Provorov. I think they have a slightly different play styles, but I think their overall impacts will be very similar.

Reactions: Patagonia

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I'd be over the moon if Byram turned out like Provorov.

Though I'm pretty sure I hold Provorov in higher regard than most others. To me he's a 50 point Dman who can kill penalties, QB a PP, play the toughest minutes, and gets better as the games get more important. He's an all situations #1D in my books and in his peak year will be a Darkhorse Norris guy IMO.

If Byram hits that level, with Cale being an Erik Karlsson type of #1Dman and Norris trophy winner himself. That's the best pairing in the league for a good 5-10 years no doubt about it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd say it is how you view Provorov... if you're @Pierce Hawthorne it is a bit too much to expect. If you're more realistic on Provorov, that is a reasonable projection. Top pairing, 35-40 point guy who can play on all units, but shouldn't be a top unit PP guy ideally.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah I think ~40 points, Top pairing, plus being one of your main PK guys and operating the 2nd PP unit would be a good projection for Byram.

The Avs are actually set up quite well for Byram to step into a role perfectly suited for him going forward. They wont have to try and force him into being a Top PP type of guy because we already have Cale for that. Instead he can come in and be an all situations guy, and run a big part of the PK

I think he and Cale set up to be real good partners for each other and if Byram can reach that level, I think you're looking at a pairing that together can play ~20 minutes of 5 on 5 a night, and ~24-25 minutes overall a night with Cale getting the heavy PP minutes and Bowen the heavy PK minutes.

Then hopefully you've got Girard and Timmins together behind them doing similar things. Though probably not in the roles most people would project. I actually see Girard as being the better PK guy, and Timmins a better PP QB for the 2nd unit(Though Timmins IMO would be capable of playing 2nd unit PP and 2nd unit PK if he develops as I think he can).

If things work out properly, I think between those two pairings, you can get ~40 good quality 5 on 5 minutes meaning you'd only need your 3rd pairing to play ~7-8 minutes at even strength.

Reactions: ibengals and cgf

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
A guy who has 33 posts in 6 years posts his opinion and it doesn't even take 2 hours until he gets insulted for this opinion. That's what HFAvs has become.
"Insulted". Right.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
If anything... You cant just come in as a complete random with basically no post history, make a pretty damning list with some crazy takes, and then say absolutely nothing to at least back up or explain why you ranked a guy where you ranked him.

If you're gonna come in with no posts, post a ridiculous list, and then leave without and reasoning behind that list then ya, you deserve to be criticized for that list.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
If anything... You cant just come in as a complete random with basically no post history, make a pretty damning list with some crazy takes, and then say absolutely nothing to at least back up or explain why you ranked a guy where you ranked him.

If you're gonna come in with no posts, post a ridiculous list, and then leave without and reasoning behind that list then ya, you deserve to be criticized for that list.

I didn’t hate the list :dunno:

At least there’s no Cole Caufield on it.

Reactions: avsfan09

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Tomorrow is the day where we learn if Byram will be available in early April or if May is more likely.

Why's that? Is tomorrow the WHL trade deadline or something?

Also you really think they'd throw him on the roster after his season is over? Makar was special, I'd probably wait on Byram and let him start in October.

EDIT: Just looked it up, yeah tomorrow is their trade deadline. I though the Giants were making minor trades to beef up their roster? If that's the case you'd think they'd hold onto Byram.

SoftMittsHardSticks

Jan 3, 2014
Okay, I get it, if I throw a hot take out there I should back it up.

I put Timmins over Byram because I believe that Timmins can top out along the same lines as Ryan Suter, where as Byam I see topping out around Seth Jones level. Not a bad thing, I just value a Suter-like defensive cornerstone more.

I placed Annunen so high because he is obviously having an incredible, record breaking season, and this is the first time that the Avs have had a drafted goalie prospect that seems worth a damn since.... Budaj?

I also had Kovalenko so highly ranked because of the fantastic season he is having in the second highest level professional league in the world. Plus, people may not value him much because he is a Russian playing in Russia, but the kid was born in America. He has shown considerable growth at each level he has risen to, has a professional grade shot already, and doesn't rely on any elements of his game that wouldn't translate to the NHL. This is probably the hottest take in my list, so I understand the flaming.

For whatever it's worth, Button had Annunen at 23rd on his list, while Newhook was not ranked. I feel as though that lends some credence to my ranking as well.

I actually do love Newhook as a prospect, but he is still just so raw and unpolished that he has some ways to go before he solidifies his position higher on my list. I see him becoming a 2C or even a 1st line winger if he rounds out and refines his game, but I have yet to see tangible evidence that he's there yet, or even on track to become that.

As for the rest of the list, I don't think Kaut or O'Connor will amount to much more than 3rd or 4th liners, whereas I see the utility in Bowers lending itself up and down the lineup with a bit more versatility, somewhat like Compher.

As others have alluded to in this thread, Beaucage is having a fantastic D+1 season as a very young prospect, and I can see his viability in the system developing well. To be fair though, I watch minimal CHL, so my assessment of him is largely statistic based. Still the statistics paint a quite positive picture.

I think that about sums up my thought process behind my rankings. I can go into more depth about individuals if you guys want (I actually love talking prospects). I've got spreadsheets and spreadsheets of stats, comparisons, and projections, but I doubt anyone really gives a damn.

Okay, someone else can take the soapbox now, I'm done.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad