Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Let's get Byram's confidence sky-high going into the playoffs and carrying into camp next fall. Hopefully he can make the team and ease into a bottom pairing role in the NHL. The D+1 season in the WHL was good for him and the right call, but I don't know if an extra year would be beneficial. Stupid transfer agreement.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Newhook’s edges separates him from so many others. I’ve said that his straight line speed has been overrated but his agility, edges and ability to skate in small spaces is what makes him a special skater.

Think Duchene.

That's what's warmed me up to him. But I can't say I'm not still worried about his explosiveness & straight-line speed being special enough at the NHL for him to create the space he'll need to implement all of his game.

Like I've said many times before, I would love to be proven wrong and see him slotting in for Kadri when Naz' contract is up, as Newhook becomes our Necas...but until I see his skillset against NHLers, those concerns will still be there for me :-/

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Alex Newhook, C, Colorado (Boston College)

Unlike Boldy, who has looked the part but until lately hasn’t been scoring a ton, Newhook has both looked like a top prospect in BC’s games and has been a top-scoring freshman in the country. He’s an elite skater who has the skill and sense to create a lot of chances off his speed. He’s also shown he can be a nuisance on the penalty kill, with three shorthanded goals on the season. Newhook was great in this game, creating havoc all over the ice for Harvard. The tandem between him and Boldy has been rolling very well of late.

Elite skater.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Byram with the goal and assist and 17 PIMs in the game (5 minute major for boarding and game misconduct, picked up a minor for interference earlier in the game for good measure).

Boarding penalties are bad penalties and preventable in today's day and age, but I love that Byram plays with such an edge.

Adds an additional dimension to his game that isn't often seen in offensive D men. Exemplary of his compete level too.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Proman also put that label on Jost....
upload_2020-2-18_10-52-38.jpeg

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Had to! ;)

Newhook is a better skater than Jost, and fundamentally his stride and footwork are good. He gets a bit of a heel kick when fatigued, but it is a good looks stride. IMO many prospect evaluators make the mistake of clean = elite. When you see Jost, he even has a pretty clean stride and you can tell he's been through a ton of skating classes. There is just no fast twitch muscle and ability to create any sort of burst or speed. What I think people don't figure in is the leap up to the NHL is huge... nearly every skater is high end. When a player like Jost moves up, his differentiation in skating over his peers disappears and he didn't have any counter. I personally think Newhook has a counter, he has a very solid set of hands and a more solid base to play in tight spaces. I am genuinely curious how the skating translates over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad