Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Miller is all tools and no toolbox with a risk taking mentality. He's going to frustrate as much as he dazzles until (or if) he puts it together.

Reactions: cgf

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm hardly any good at analyzing prospects so take everything with a dump-truck load of salt, but I've caught a few Wisconsin games this year and he honestly looks like a bit of a project. He reminds me of Zadorov in some ways, actually...also Nurse. All of the physical talent is there to be a top pairing guy (or more), but his defensive decision making is perpetually questionable, same as it was during some of those WJC games. Caught running around, drifting out of passing lanes, unsure of how to consistently use his size to push guys off the puck around the boards. The fact that he played forward until 16 really shows, I don't think he fully grasps what he's supposed to do in his own end. I think the hype last season might have pushed expectations a little too high, he looks a couple years away at least to me.
Miller is all tools and no toolbox with a risk taking mentality. He's going to frustrate as much as he dazzles until (or if) he puts it together.

Oh anyone thinking he wasn't still years away was deluding themselves, but when I watched him last season I felt like he was starting to figure out what a toolbox was...even if he was still figuring out how to get himself one...so was curious if had surprised and taken another step this year. Not really shocking if there hasn't been any major progress; the kid really lacks experience badly & just needs to keep finding ways to contribute enough to get that PT that he lacks.

He had little inkling for when he should push forward, but I did like some of his decision-making during those creative impulses...if we ignored the mistake to initiate them in the first place. So I do feel like there are some instincts for the game that could lead to a nifty implementation of his toolset, if he figures out how to build himself a toolbox.

Anyways, thanks guys :thumbu:

Last edited:

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I see this too, but I don't think he is truly brain-dead. He's similar to Zadorov where he does have inconsistent moments, especially in decisions with the puck where it happens consistently. However, he has superior offensive weaponry and should be a solid top 4 defender regardless. I would've still picked him if I was a Rags fan.

The weird one still to this day is Bode Wilde going so low, but he's like K'Andre on steroids.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I compared Miller to Z in his draft year, and it looks like that's bearing out. Lots of potential, very raw. If NYR does with him what should have been done with Zadorov and keeps him in the NCAA for 2-3 years, then moves him into the AHL, I think they'll have a really solid defender on their hands.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
He sure had a Zadorov moment in game 1 against Canada with that pass to Laf for the GWG.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Cam Morrison potted Notre Dame’s only goal of the evening in a 1-1 draw vs Western Michigan. His season totals are now 4 goals, 10 assists, 14 points through 18 games.

Tyler Weiss had the primary assist on Omaha-Nebraska’s 2nd tally tonight in a 2-2 draw against Maine, bringing the sophomore’s totals to 3 goals, 12 assists, 15 points through 18 games.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Cam Morrison potted Notre Dame’s only goal of the evening in a 1-1 draw vs Western Michigan. His season totals are now 4 goals, 10 assists, 14 points through 18 games.

Tyler Weiss had the primary assist on Omaha-Nebraska’s 2nd tally tonight in a 2-2 draw against Maine, bringing the sophomore’s totals to 3 goals, 12 assists, 15 points through 18 games.

Whats the deal with Morrison anyways. We going sign him or nah?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

If I were a betting man, I'd say nah, he's made it all the way to NCAA free agency, so I imagine he'll want to test the market. But there's still a chance the Avs could convince him to sign. I just don't know how much interest there is on their part.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
He's not gonna be as cheap and cost-controlled as you think.

giphy.gif

How do ya figure?

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Well yes and no. Whoever signs him is still restricted to the same ELC terms as everyone else.

Is he old enough to sign a shorter ELC? Or is it still the 3yr variant? Either way, he has some leverage to demand the 1st season get burned off to keep him from going to UFA.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Is he old enough to sign a shorter ELC? Or is it still the 3yr variant? Either way, he has some leverage to demand the 1st season get burned off to keep him from going to UFA.

Still will be cheap compared to his competition within the org for the next 3-4 years :dunno:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Morrison is already gone in my mind. He'll pull a Toninato and go to a place where he sees an easier path to the NHL.

SoftMittsHardSticks

Jan 3, 2014
1. Conor Timmins
2. Bowen Byram
3. Justus Annunen
4. Nikolai Kovalenko
5. Alex Newhook
6. Shane Bowers
7. Alex Beaucage
8. Logan O'Connor
9. Martin Kaut
10. Danila Zhuravlyov

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
1. Conor Timmins
2. Bowen Byram
3. Justus Annunen
4. Nikolai Kovalenko
5. Alex Newhook
6. Shane Bowers
7. Alex Beaucage
8. Logan O'Connor
9. Martin Kaut
10. Danila Zhuravlyov
Congrats, you named 10 Avs prospects. That can't be in any kind of specific order can it?

Reactions: CobraAcesS

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver

Stienburg also got his first goal for Cornell last night.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio

I have no idea. After following him for four years I selfishly hope so lol.

I’d like to see whether his offensive game can pick up outside of Jackson’s system (Jeff Jackson is a great coach, as a ND fan I think very highly of him, but for whatever reason Morrison’s offensive game hasn’t flourished there). He’s a big body, space eater in front of the net- particularly on the PP, physical, & has a nice wrist shot that’s been criminally underutilized by Jackson & himself. He’d presumably be a cost controlled bottom 6 option if he pans out.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Because he's eligible for free agency once he completes his final season at Notre Dame.
He's far from anything, I mean not being a PPG player even in Jackson's defensive system as a senior is pretty below-average if you'd ask me. That doesn't mean he sucks or teams' wouldn't want him, but I would be honestly surprised if he used his UFA status and successfully got signed and was promised an actual NHL role. We don't even know if he's an NHL product at this point, he has good elements, but pretty underwhelming career thus far for a second rounder...at least offensively. Plays a lot like Logan O'Connor I think.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
He's far from anything, I mean not being a PPG player even in Jackson's defensive system as a senior is pretty below-average if you'd ask me. That doesn't mean he sucks or teams' wouldn't want him, but I would be honestly surprised if he used his UFA status and successfully got signed and was promised an actual NHL role. We don't even know if he's an NHL product at this point, he has good elements, but pretty underwhelming career thus far for a second rounder...at least offensively. Plays a lot like Logan O'Connor I think.
6'3"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad