Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I'm not too worried about Compher. He steps up in the playoffs and that's where his real value lies, so if he doesn't play well this post season, then I'll start to worry.

Playing like he's currently playing for 60 more some-odd games is not going to be negated unless he hits Conn Smythe-level. Dude needs to pick it up. He's not really taking any effective shots, he's not making plays, he's not winning puck battles, he's not doing much of anything. About the only place where I feel he's effective is the penalty kill, and even that hasn't been consistent.

Reactions: Byzantium

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Definitely reasonable. The difference in offense certainly will separate more as the season continues based on their past.

I truly believe in my forechecking thoughts on Jost though. It began late last season but he has caused absolute havoc on defenseman in their own zone. It even directly lead to a few goals during the playoffs and this season. I don’t just think he’s decent, I think he’s phenomenal on the forecheck. Since March i think he’s even been better than Calvert and Landy in that department.
I’ll keep an eye on Jost because that is some praise.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nice puck retrieval and setup by Kovalenko here:

Love the way he used his body to get the puck back there, he's not a big guy but sometimes it's more important to use what you have effectively than just being big.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Compher is on pace for 40+ pts. I think that’s decent for a 3rd liner. He’s way down the line of Avs “problems”.

Also on pace for 8 goals.

Only Nichuskin, Kamenev, and defenseman Girard, EJ, Zadorov, and Cole have fewer goals right now among Avalanche regulars.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Compher is on pace for 40+ pts. I think that’s decent for a 3rd liner. He’s way down the line of Avs “problems”.

There's just one problem--he's not being played like a 3rd liner. Because of injuries he's seeing ice time next to the team's 2nd best center and in the last five games his TOI totals have been as follows:

16:43
19:58
15:08

Some of those might be considered "3rd line minutes" but not where he's pushing 20. He's also on the 2nd unit power play, which should help his chances even if only a little. Bottom line, he's one of the few depth guys on this squad who actually hasn't stepped up in light of all the injuries. So while it's not of primary concern, it's still a concern.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There's just one problem--he's not being played like a 3rd liner. Because of injuries he's seeing ice time next to the team's 2nd best center and in the last five games his TOI totals have been as follows:

Some of those might be considered "3rd line minutes" but not where he's pushing 20. He's also on the 2nd unit power play, which should help his chances even if only a little. Bottom line, he's one of the few depth guys on this squad who actually hasn't stepped up in light of all the injuries. So while it's not of primary concern, it's still a concern.

Compher is 6th among Avalanche forwards in ice time with 17:08. Ahead of Burakovsky who's averaging 15:46. Jost is averaging 13:19

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017

I assume you are also disappointed with Donskoi then? He's getting top line minutes but is only at 0.70 pace compared to Compher's 0.55. Way behind his linemate MacKinnon who's at 1.43.

Btw personally I think both are doing great.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Kind of sad that the 3 kids that used to be our "future 2nd line" (Jost, Compher and Kerfoot), none of them lived up to the expectations.
Seriously?! I always had JTC pegged as a 3rd liner, Kerfoot struck me as a 3.6 Roentgen placeholder for a team coming off a 48 point season and Jost was the only one I like on the 2nd line.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I assume you are also disappointed with Donskoi then? He's getting top line minutes but is only at 0.70 pace compared to Compher's 0.55. Way behind his linemate MacKinnon who's at 1.43.

Donskoi is a much, much better defensive forward. J.T.'s underlying numbers have never been good--his value is more in his ability to produce offense, especially in clutch situations. And you can see it in the eye test too--Donskoi's hands are not the softest, we know that, yet he's still pushing the puck in the right direction, which makes things a lot easier for MacKinnon.

I'm not giving up on JTC by any means (and I effectively have with Jost) but I don't see how people can be satisfied with his play at present. He's been a big non-factor for most of the season. Can't help but think he's trying to play through something.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Along with being better defensively, Donskoi's got 9 goals to Compher's 2.

Compher's only got 1 goal in the last 19 games too. His other came in game 1 of the season.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Trying my best to shift this thread to prospect talk but I guess JTC and Donskoi take priority.

This is my first live viewing of BC this season.
- Newhook looks meh so far. Skating like the wind and creating some great individual chances but still looks like a chicken with his head cut off chasing the play everywhere.
- Helleson beyond dull so far. I’m shocked that he’s listed as 6’3. Maybe it’s the way he skates but he actually looks undersized. He got walked a couple of times and had a few turnovers. Haven’t seen a positive play from him yet but it’s just one period.

Boldy has been the best player on the ice.

edit: Newhook with a nice little play getting a primary assist at the end of the period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad