Prospect Info: 2019-20 Prospects Thread (CHL, NCAA, Junior A, Europe)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
He's an inch taller than the one on the Devils, so he's clearly better. We can trade them one-for one, maybe with a small plus from the Devils for the height upgrade.
Make that, along with the Josh Anderson for Josh Anderson trade, and we will be golden.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Man, like pretty much everyone else, I've only seen highlights on Kovalenko this year, but he looks like he's playing outstanding hockey.

Really nice goal scorers instincts and finish. Looks like he just wants to get the puck and bury it every chance he gets.

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Kovalenko will be a really nifty replacement for Jimmothy when JTC becomes too expensive to keep :sarcasm:

tenor.gif

I assume that's what you're (still) looking for with these...

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Indeed. I do think JTC will become a cap victim after this contract. Either he'll improve his play and will be too expensive, or he doesn't and... he'll be too expensive...

TBH I was getting more at Kovalenko's similarities to Jimmothy, when both are on form; than repeating my 'need to start saving money on depth pieces sooner than later' spiel. That part was meant to just be a throw-away line, with the Kovalenko-Compher comparison being the pertinent part of that post.

Jr's not as speedy as Jimmothy, but he looks to be more skilled...which one would hope would help allow him to be more consistent at this level...both hit the dirty areas & will put in work despite being smaller than average for the NHL -- though JTC is the better troll & chippier -- and in an ideal world both would be third liners...though there's cause for optimism wrt Kovalenko deputizing on a scoring line better.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
At this point I'm kind of hoping JTC is going to be the one picked by Seattle at the expansion draft. I'm really disappointed with his play so far this season.

Kind of sad that the 3 kids that used to be our "future 2nd line" (Jost, Compher and Kerfoot), none of them lived up to the expectations.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If JTC was consistent, he'd be a high end 2nd liner. As he sits, he's an inconsistent middle six player that you'll always want more out of. For what he's paid and the versatility he brings, I'm pretty happy with him personally. If he was nearing $5m, I'd be pissed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If JTC was consistent, he'd be a high end 2nd liner. As he sits, he's an inconsistent middle six player that you'll always want more out of. For what he's paid and the versatility he brings, I'm pretty happy with him personally. If he was nearing $5m, I'd be pissed.

Why are you not as unhappy with Compher as you are Jost, considering he's making about 4x as much money?

Compher - 2 goals 9 assists - 11 points - 17:08/gm - $3.5M
Jost - 4 goals - 4 assists - 8 points - 13:19/gm - $886k

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
I'm not too worried about Compher. He steps up in the playoffs and that's where his real value lies, so if he doesn't play well this post season, then I'll start to worry.

Reactions: AdrianTheMagician

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
This opinion will be unpopular but I think Jost has been better than JTC this year.

At least when Jost isn’t scoring he’s still a dog on the puck and has improved drastically defensively. I think he took a huge step forward last March and has been relatively consistent away from the puck since then. I don’t think the offense will ever come though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Compher is on pace for 40+ pts. I think that’s decent for a 3rd liner. He’s way down the line of Avs “problems”.
40 points is approaching low end 2nd line territory, but JTC is inconsistent, so his highs are legit 2nd line and lows are low end 3rd line. Makes it hard to count on him.

I don't see how Jost has been better than JTC, but to each their own. Jost is more consistent, but he's a consistent average to below average 3rd liner right now.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
40 points is approaching low end 2nd line territory, but JTC is inconsistent, so his highs are legit 2nd line and lows are low end 3rd line. Makes it hard to count on him.

I don't see how Jost has been better than JTC, but to each their own. Jost is more consistent, but he's a consistent average to below average 3rd liner right now.

I mean the difference offensively seems kinda minimal. JTC has 3 more points while Jost has 2 more goals. Neither can really produce.

Everything else shifts in Jost’s favor imo. Significantly better underlying stats. Better forechecker and in the defensive zone. Jost draws a lot of penalties. Jost has less giveaways than JTC and far more takeaways.

one big bonus with JTC is that he can play wing. Jost doesn’t have that versatility. He’s a pure centre. JTC can play up the lineup and Jost can’t. At the end of the day neither should play up the lineup though. They just aren’t good enough.

Reactions: Foppa2118

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I mean the difference offensively seems kinda minimal. JTC has 3 more points while Jost has 2 more goals. Neither can really produce.

Everything else shifts in Jost’s favor imo. Significantly better underlying stats. Better forechecker and in the defensive zone. Jost draws a lot of penalties. Jost has less giveaways than JTC and far more takeaways.

one big bonus with JTC is that he can play wing. Jost doesn’t have that versatility. He’s a pure centre. JTC can play up the lineup and Jost can’t. At the end of the day neither should play up the lineup though. They just aren’t good enough.

JTC has consistently been a better producer than Jost. In 4 less games, Compher had 6 more points last season and more goals. This year he has 3 more points in the same amount of games. Pacing puts that at a ~12 point difference over the season. It doesn't sound like a lot right now, but we are a ~quarter through the season. Then you look for outlier sort of impacts... Compher only has 2 multipoint games that both were 2 points this season... so 4 out of his 11. He has points in 7 other games. 9 our of 20 games he has a point. Jost also only has 2 multipoint games, but they account for 5 of his 8 points. He has points in 5 out of his 20 games. The difference offensively is pretty massive. You have a player that produces at a high end 3rd line/low end 2nd line rate (with level of play varying between the two lines fairly massively). Jost produces like a low end 3rd liner.

I don't buy the better forechecker, Jost is pretty terrible at 1v1 battles and when it comes to that, he struggles massively. Jost is better at breaking up plays with his stick and being in lanes. He's a better heady sort of defensive player and I think he is a better defensive player overall. Compher is better physically in the defensive zone, but I'd prefer him at wing because he isn't smart enough in lanes to be reliable enough when he gets pinned (and it plays to his speed advantage on breaking out).

Underlying numbers can really only go so far in evaluation. Compher is much better at creating higher danger shots and chances. He creates more off the rush and has more plays to the slot. That is where the offense comes from with Compher.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
JTC has consistently been a better producer than Jost. In 4 less games, Compher had 6 more points last season and more goals. This year he has 3 more points in the same amount of games. Pacing puts that at a ~12 point difference over the season. It doesn't sound like a lot right now, but we are a ~quarter through the season. Then you look for outlier sort of impacts... Compher only has 2 multipoint games that both were 2 points this season... so 4 out of his 11. He has points in 7 other games. 9 our of 20 games he has a point. Jost also only has 2 multipoint games, but they account for 5 of his 8 points. He has points in 5 out of his 20 games. The difference offensively is pretty massive. You have a player that produces at a high end 3rd line/low end 2nd line rate (with level of play varying between the two lines fairly massively). Jost produces like a low end 3rd liner.

I don't buy the better forechecker, Jost is pretty terrible at 1v1 battles and when it comes to that, he struggles massively. Jost is better at breaking up plays with his stick and being in lanes. He's a better heady sort of defensive player and I think he is a better defensive player overall. Compher is better physically in the defensive zone, but I'd prefer him at wing because he isn't smart enough in lanes to be reliable enough when he gets pinned (and it plays to his speed advantage on breaking out).

Underlying numbers can really only go so far in evaluation. Compher is much better at creating higher danger shots and chances. He creates more off the rush and has more plays to the slot. That is where the offense comes from with Compher.
Definitely reasonable. The difference in offense certainly will separate more as the season continues based on their past.

I truly believe in my forechecking thoughts on Jost though. It began late last season but he has caused absolute havoc on defenseman in their own zone. It even directly lead to a few goals during the playoffs and this season. I don’t just think he’s decent, I think he’s phenomenal on the forecheck. Since March i think he’s even been better than Calvert and Landy in that department.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad