Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers2k10

Yak Don't Back Down
Mar 18, 2010
Lavoie with a heck of an overtime goal, first time I ever seen him play and he looked great. I only saw about a minute though.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lavoie has that “it” factor. Scored the OT winner, 5 points in 2 games.

He’s our best forward prospect.

Sounds like he had a great game tonight but the comments about him in the prospect thread are scathing to say the least. The low compete level thing is particularly troubling.

With that said, I like the swing for the fences pick. It's very boom/bust but I'd prefer a bigger ceiling, lower floor guy to a high floor, lower ceiling guy.

AvOiL

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2008
Calgary, AB
Sounds like he had a great game tonight but the comments about him in the prospect thread are scathing to say the least. The low compete level thing is particularly troubling.

With that said, I like the swing for the fences pick. It's very boom/bust but I'd prefer a bigger ceiling, lower floor guy to a high floor, lower ceiling guy.

Lavoie is virtually the opposite of the McLeod pick. Lavoie has top-6 upside, but may not crack the NHL if he doesn't figure out the consistency/compete aspects of the game (and a little more quickness/speed would help). McLeod is likely to be an NHLer, but as no more than a 3C.

Reactions: McCupofOil

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Lavoie lowered the boom on several Russian players and finished every check. He was physically imposing his will on the Russians.

I can’t speak to all of his Q games but I can say if he plays like he did those two games I have zero concerns about his compete level. He was chippy and nasty out there.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Lavoie is virtually the opposite of the McLeod pick. Lavoie has top-6 upside, but may not crack the NHL if he doesn't figure out the consistency/compete aspects of the game (and a little more quickness/speed would help). McLeod is likely to be an NHLer, but as no more than a 3C.

I was thinking the same exact thing. I'm fine with the McLeod pick but his chances of ever being a top 6 player are very remote and ideally in the 2nd round, you want somebody with top 6 upside. Lavoie has 1st line potential if it all comes together.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I was thinking the same exact thing. I'm fine with the McLeod pick but his chances of ever being a top 6 player are very remote and ideally in the 2nd round, you want somebody with top 6 upside. Lavoie has 1st line potential if it all comes together.
Luckily McLeod fits something we've needed for a long time which is a big fast 2-way centre for the 3rd line that might be able to chip in 30-40 points. If he can become that then we're laughing with that pick.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Lavoie lowered the boom on several Russian players and finished every check. He was physically imposing his will on the Russians.

I can’t speak to all of his Q games but I can say if he plays like he did those two games I have zero concerns about his compete level. He was chippy and nasty out there.
I've only seen Lavoie play about 20 times in post season/mem cup/international games, but he has always looked great to me in those games and can absolutely take over a game like he did tonight. Don't have enough of a sample to comment on his consistency or compete issues, but in the ~20 games I've seen I saw a player who elevated his game and almost always looked like the best player on the ice. I still see him as a mid first round talent from his draft.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I've only seen Lavoie play about 20 times in post season/mem cup/international games, but he has always looked great to me in those games and can absolutely take over a game like he did tonight. Don't have enough of a sample to comment on his consistency or compete issues, but in the ~20 games I've seen I saw a player who elevated his game and almost always looked like the best player on the ice. I still see him as a mid first round talent from his draft.

He seems to elevate his games on the bigger stages. That’s a good quality to have.

He was an absolute tank for the Q in this series, physically and on the score sheet.

Like I said he’s in my view our best forward prospect. None of our forward prospects have his ceiling, he has star potential. This year and a year in Bakersfield next year will be big for his development.

Reactions: McFlyingV

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
He seems to elevate his games on the bigger stages. That’s a good quality to have.

He was an absolute tank for the Q in this series, physically and on the score sheet.

Like I said he’s in my view our best forward prospect. None of our forward prospects have his ceiling, he has star potential. This year and a year in Bakersfield next year will be big for his development.
Yeah I'm very high on him as well and think he has the highest ceiling of our forward prospects. And I say that as someone who thinks Yam, Benson, and McLeod are good bets to be solid NHLers. I just love Lavoie's size, hands, and shot combo. He's strong as a bull, can really fire it, and has some soft finesse in his game for a big man.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

What do you think of his chances to make the WJC roster?

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Yeah I'm very high on him as well and think he has the highest ceiling of our forward prospects. And I say that as someone who thinks Yam, Benson, and McLeod are good bets to be solid NHLers. I just love Lavoie's size, hands, and shot combo. He's strong as a bull, can really fire it, and has some soft finesse in his game for a big man.

Him and Draisaitl on the cycle would just break small D men and wear teams out.

Reactions: B33K33PING

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Hunter was playing him heavily, after this performance I don’t see how he’s not on the team.

I think him and Rodrigue both make it.

That would be great to see them both on the big stage along with Broberg. I was a bit skeptical of Lavoie making it because Team Canada tends to favor the speedy two way types.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
That would be great to see them both on the big stage along with Broberg. I was a bit skeptical of Lavoie making it because Team Canada tends to favor the speedy two way types.

He seems to have won over Hunter which is the most important thing.

I honestly don’t see how Canada can leave him off the roster after his playoff run last year, start to this year season, previous play with hockey Canada, and his domination for the Q in this series.

I’d say he’s on an inside track to being on the team. His goal scoring and elevation in big games are hard to come by.

The best way to describe him is he has that “it” factor that you win with in big moments.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
I'd be very surprised if Lavoie doesn't make the WJ team.

I also hope he gets dealt at some put this year to a contender in the Q, Halifax is pretty bad

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'd be very surprised if Lavoie doesn't make the WJ team.

I also hope he gets dealt at some put this year to a contender in the Q, Halifax is pretty bad
Lavoie probably makes it for sure, I think there is a good chance Rodrigue doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad