Prospect Info: 2019-20 Oilers Prospect Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Didn't think our goalie situation was that bad junior wise. Don't think he is a bad goalie, but the best junior aged canadian? That's a bad state for Canada goaltending

There have been some pretty bad goalies repping Canada in the juniors over the years. Some that have more or less lost medals for Canada.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
Didn't think our goalie situation was that bad junior wise. Don't think he is a bad goalie, but the best junior aged canadian? That's a bad state for Canada goaltending
I mean he was the starter for Canada at the Hlinka and u18s in his draft year, was the top ranked NA goalie that year and has had a solid junior career since. I know it’s your MO to be super pessimistic about everything Oilers related but at least try and get some facts before spouting off.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean he was the starter for Canada at the Hlinka and u18s in his draft year, was the top ranked NA goalie that year and has had a solid junior career since. I know it’s your MO to be super pessimistic about everything Oilers related but at least try and get some facts before spouting off.
The best Canadian goalie doesn't appear to be a compliment these days.

Like I said, I don't think he is bad, but if he is the best Canadian goalie, Canada's goaltending situation is still bad overall.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
I hope you're right, but I'd be extremely surprised if Rodrigue is the go to guy between the pipes.

I'd actually he surprised if he's one of the top 2 goalies on the team.
Have you not followed team Canada at all through the last few years? He’s been Canada’s #1 when playing with his age group for years now and came out of this summer’s development camp as a virtual lock as the starter for this team.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Have you not followed team Canada at all through the last few years? He’s been Canada’s #1 when playing with his age group for years now and came out of this summer’s development camp as a virtual lock as the starter for this team.
I think he’s one of our more under appreciated prospects honestly. Hopefully we’ll finally have a guy who can be something at the next level with him.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Not super closely, to be honest.

I'll admit my viewings of Rodrigue have been limited, but for whatever reason I just don't have a good feeling about the kid.

Like I said though, I really do hope I'm wrong and I'm hoping for the best when it comes to him being "the guy" between the pipes.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
When I take a look at all of the prospects in the pipeline, including all the guys in junior hockey and Bakersfield the only guy I really see as a top 6 forward prospect is Lavoie (who is on pace this year for 125 points with his junior team) but of course the Quebec junior league is a long way from the NHL.

Last year I had Maksimov as a possible top 6 with the Oilers but so far he hasn't cracked the top 6 in Bakersfield so maybe it was a bit too optimistic to predict this.

Barring a major UFA signing (and the Oil haven't done too well there) or a hot shot prospect in this year's draft , I can't see much changing with the Oilers in the next few years. Drai and Mac-D will be seeing a lot of ice time.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
When I take a look at all of the prospects in the pipeline, including all the guys in junior hockey and Bakersfield the only guy I really see as a top 6 forward prospect is Lavoie (who is on pace this year for 125 points with his junior team) but of course the Quebec junior league is a long way from the NHL.

Last year I had Maksimov as a possible top 6 with the Oilers but so far he hasn't cracked the top 6 in Bakersfield so maybe it was a bit too optimistic to predict this.

Barring a major UFA signing (and the Oil haven't done too well there) or a hot shot prospect in this year's draft , I can't see much changing with the Oilers in the next few years. Drai and Mac-D will be seeing a lot of ice time.

Yamamoto has the pure puck skill to be a top 6 player but his size and lack of elite skating hurts his chances of getting there. Beyond that, I tend to agree that most of the other prospects project to be bottom 6 players. Benson and McLeod have shots at being top 6 if they can ramp their games up. This upcoming offseason, we need to re-stock the cupboards up front.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Yamamoto has the pure puck skill to be a top 6 player but his size and lack of elite skating hurts his chances of getting there. Beyond that, I tend to agree that most of the other prospects project to be bottom 6 players. Benson and McLeod have shots at being top 6 if they can ramp their games up. This upcoming offseason, we need to re-stock the cupboards up front.
His offense in the AHL level is kind of mediocre. Bouchard has the same amount of points and he is 2 years younger and a defender. For a guy who is supposed to be great offensively he has been underwhelming production wise

Reactions: Aerchon

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
His offense in the AHL level is kind of mediocre. Bouchard has the same amount of points and he is 2 years younger and a defender. For a guy who is supposed to be great offensively he has been underwhelming production wise

Agreed. I'm not declaring Yams to be a bust, but I've accepted that it's what is likely to happen. Going back to that draft, I was hoping that we'd reach for Chytil, and then it was more of a coin flip between Yams and Vesalainen. I was leaning more towards the latter but was also totally fine to be walking away with Yamamoto.

Sometimes you've gotta take that high risk/high reward pick and be prepared when that pick doesn't exactly pan out.

Yamamoto: 25 points in 38 AHL gp.
Vesalainen: 17 points in 34 AHL gp.

Reactions: Llamamoto49

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You guys have some unrealistic expectations, that's why you're disappointed.
He has 14 goals in his first 38 pro games and he wasn't getting prime minutes last year.
For peer comparison, Vesalainen has 5 goals in his first 33 games.
Cytil had 14 goals in his first 55 pro games.
Poehling had 3 goals in his first 13 AHL games (Granted, he had an NHL hat trick but we're talking AHL production)
Tolvanen had 15 goals in his first 58 games and only 1 total this year.

Just a little perspective for those who are "disappointed" with Yamamoto's production. If his production is mediocre then all the forwards drafted right around his spot have been horrendous, which is obvious hyperbole on both accounts.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
XyxBcyb.gif

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Agreed. I'm not declaring Yams to be a bust, but I've accepted that it's what is likely to happen. Going back to that draft, I was hoping that we'd reach for Chytil, and then it was more of a coin flip between Yams and Vesalainen. I was leaning more towards the latter but was also totally fine to be walking away with Yamamoto.

Sometimes you've gotta take that high risk/high reward pick and be prepared when that pick doesn't exactly pan out.

For an offensive only 100 point junior draftie with off the charts shrimpyness his point production at the ahl and nhl level is down right bad. Let's not sugar coat it.

Sure he can come out of nowhere where and be an effective nhler eventually but right now I think that is rather optimistic.

Vesalainen is 6'4 and over 200 lbs plus almost a full year younger to boot...

Just on his size alone I would think he has a better chance of making the nhl than Yamamoto. Based off everything right now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
For an offensive only 100 point junior draftie with off the charts shrimpyness his point production at the ahl and nhl level is down right bad. Let's not sugar coat it.

Sure he can come out of nowhere where and be an effective nhler eventually but right now I think that is rather optimistic.

Just on his size alone I would think he has a better chance of making the nhl than Yamamoto. Based off everything right now.

This is such a load of nonsense.
Sorry to be harsh but it is.
Calling his AHL production downright bad then saying that Vesalainen, a player with far worse AHL production as I illustrated in the above post, has a better chance to be an NHLer based on EVERYTHING is nonsense. Vesalainen is bigger, I'll give you that.
A post like this is why people jump all over you sometimes.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground

Remember how Martin St Louis was just ripping apart the NHL at the same age? Yeah me either.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
This is such a load of nonsense.
Sorry to be harsh but it is.
Calling his AHL production downright bad then saying that Vesalainen, a player with far worse AHL production as I illustrated in the above post, has a better chance to be an NHLer based on EVERYTHING is nonsense. Vesalainen is bigger, I'll give you that.
A post like this is why people jump all over you sometimes.

Remember how Martin St Louis was just ripping apart the NHL at the same age? Yeah me either.

He is not tracking well.

You saying he is going to be the next Martin st Louis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad