Speculation: 2019/20 NHL trade deadline thread (rumors, ideas, & deals)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
He's on a solid contract. Not really much of a need to retain. I do agree that Saad @ 50% should fetch a 1st and two 2nds, though. I just don't see the Hawks wanting to retain if they're trying to move him.

The need to retain is the need for a bigger return. The Hawks have no need for the 3M in cap space and have the financial power to make these trades. If I had my way, they’d retain on the maximum allowed 3 contracts, get a boatload of assets back, then potentially have a budding powerhouse in 2 years. Basically the same blueprint they used to build the team up before the dynasty years, quantity and quality.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
The need to retain is the need for a bigger return. The Hawks have no need for the 3M in cap space and have the financial power to make these trades. If I had my way, they’d retain on the maximum allowed 3 contracts, get a boatload of assets back, then potentially have a budding powerhouse in 2 years. Basically the same blueprint they used to build the team up before the dynasty years, quantity and quality.

Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad you're not the GM then. They still have to field a full roster under the cap...

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Don't take this the wrong way, but I'm glad you're not the GM then. They still have to field a full roster under the cap...

No problemo. For example, retaining on Saad, Shaw and Maatta would only cost around 7M. They can still ice a decent roster without that 7M.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
No problemo. For example, retaining on Saad, Shaw and Maatta would only cost around 7M. They can still ice a decent roster without that 7M.

Strome needs a contract. Cat's new contract kicks in. Lehner needs a contract. There's a lot more to this than you're saying. And that's without even arguing if teams would WANT Shaw or Maatta at the deadline. There are also all kinds of players in the minors that may need new contracts. And the Hawks, again, have to fill out a full roster under the cap. Retaining on all those contracts would be monumentally stupid, IMO. You're willingly putting this team back into cap hell...

Reactions: OTC

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Strome needs a contract. Cat's new contract kicks in. Lehner needs a contract. There's a lot more to this than you're saying. And that's without even arguing if teams would WANT Shaw or Maatta at the deadline.

A little off topic, but if Maatta isn't traded how likely do you think it is that the Hawks exercise that $700k (or whatever it is) buyout this offseason?

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Oilers fan here to ask you guys a question...

Would Saad become available and what would it cost to bring him on to Nuge's lw?

He would make a lot of sense as a youngish guy with term remaining over a rental like Kreider. Pretty much all picks and prospects would be available (except the obvious ones Broberg/Bouch).
The issue here is that you don't have the cap space for Saad.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Strome needs a contract. Cat's new contract kicks in. Lehner needs a contract. There's a lot more to this than you're saying. And that's without even arguing if teams would WANT Shaw or Maatta at the deadline.

Well, as long as teams aren’t scared off by De Haan’s injury history, he and Saad at 50% could potentially bring back a 1st and 4 2nds. That kind of capital could really help turn the team into a contender for the cost of ~5M in dead space for 2 years.

In the event they did that, which they most likely would never consider anyway, they could just bridge Strome for 2 years. Agreed that Lehner might not fit though. If he wants 8M+, maybe it’s not a good idea to sign him anyway. What’s your limit on Lehner’s AAV?

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Oilers fan here to ask you guys a question...

Would Saad become available and what would it cost to bring him on to Nuge's lw?

He would make a lot of sense as a youngish guy with term remaining over a rental like Kreider. Pretty much all picks and prospects would be available (except the obvious ones Broberg/Bouch).
this question is interesting but it needs to be fully thought out.

the main thing is payment in salary going the other way. so for me, 2nd rounder plus either rhd who is around the 4 mil a yr and manning. this still doesn't do it so you need to add a top rated prospect.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
I think tonight's game against the Bruins has cemented that Gus should be on the block and we shouldn't be looking to re-sign him. Boqvist could replace him tomorrow and nothing would be lost.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I think tonight's game against the Bruins has cemented that Gus should be on the block and we shouldn't be looking to re-sign him. Boqvist could replace
him tomorrow and nothing would be lost.

Completely agree. I thought going into the year boqvist was going to need a true full year in Rockford. But offensively he's ready right now for the NHL. Power play and all. And defensively he's going to lose if it's pinned in his corner. But I thought his poke check and just reading the entries was solid.
Move Gus bring up boqvist. Sign Mitchell at the end of the season and we are good to go going forward.

Jeffrey Lebowski

The Chicago Little Lebowski Urban Achievers
Jul 31, 2009
North Side
Trading Saad would be a huge loss. He's probably been the hardest working, most consistent player this season.

He's been defensively responsible, winning board battles, and been robbed a few times. Last year was a dud for him, but man, he has definitely been earning his contract this year.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Trading Saad would be a huge loss. He's probably been the hardest working, most consistent player this season.

He's been defensively responsible, winning board battles, and been robbed a few times. Last year was a dud for him, but man, he has definitely been earning his contract this year.
Totally depends where we're at when we reach the deadline. If we're not competing, I think you can easily move Saad for a 1st and something else. That cleared cap space goes straight into Strome's pocket.

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
some interesting free agents next year if we do offload some and try to get in a different mix of players next year.

Kreider
Brodie
Hoffman
Galchenyuk
Bogosian
Tanev
Hoffman would be a dream for the right price

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
A little off topic, but if Maatta isn't traded how likely do you think it is that the Hawks exercise that $700k (or whatever it is) buyout this offseason?
With the way he has played, I would hope it's a real consideration. He hasn't been terrible, but he certainly isn't playing like he is being paid. Hawks could find a much cheaper option to replace him IMO.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I think tonight's game against the Bruins has cemented that Gus should be on the block and we shouldn't be looking to re-sign him. Boqvist could replace him tomorrow and nothing would be lost.
Tonights game? And not the previous 20+?

Boqvist is better than him right now, so glad we didn't sign the 60pt Dman to the contract some wanted to give to him in the off-season.

Kevin Musto

Hard for Bedard
Feb 16, 2018
Tonights game? And not the previous 20+?

Boqvist is better than him right now, so glad we didn't sign the 60pt Dman to the contract some wanted to give to him in the off-season.
Calling it before seemed premature especially when we didn't know what Boqvist could do.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Calling it before seemed premature especially when we didn't know what Boqvist could do.

tenor.gif

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
With the way he has played, I would hope it's a real consideration. He hasn't been terrible, but he certainly isn't playing like he is being paid. Hawks could find a much cheaper option to replace him IMO.
i think you are really being kind on Maatta. i really thought that the team will need to eat some salary in order to trade him.

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
Time to bump back up, need to start thinking of cleaning house where possible. Honestly what could Lehner fetch, a 1st maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad