2019-20 Minor League Thread - Rampage/Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
I mean he’s been scoring more so far this year in the AHL, so 4 points doesn’t seem like it’s giving him enough credit, but regardless, he’s a big physical guy that can skate and play good defense. Doesn’t that sound like a really good option to add on the left side with Bouw and Gunny getting older? I’m excited about him.

I'd just like to know if his hands have gotten any softer, if his vision and awareness on the North American ice have grown, and whether he can make quick, sound decisions with the puck. If he's going to handle the puck like a grenade, it doesn't matter how big, fast or mean he is. He'll be an AHL-player until he returns to Europe. But if he can accept a pass and put it onto the stick of a teammate while under pressure, there's a lot to be excited for. That's the report I'm awaiting.

Reactions: stl76

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I'd just like to know if his hands have gotten any softer, if his vision and awareness on the North American ice have grown, and whether he can make quick, sound decisions with the puck. If he's going to handle the puck like a grenade, it doesn't matter how big, fast or mean he is. He'll be an AHL-player until he returns to Europe. But if he can accept a pass and put it onto the stick of a teammate while under pressure, there's a lot to be excited for. That's the report I'm awaiting.
In 11 games this year with the Rampage, he already has 6 points. I’d say it’s unlikely that is just luck so there must be some improvement with his hands.

I haven’t seen any of their games but I read JR’s recent chat and he reported basically that he was told Mikkola is NHL ready whenever the Blues need him.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Have you watch Mikkola's games? Or where is coming from this he can't pass the puck?

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Have you watch Mikkola's games? Or where is coming from this he can't pass the puck?

Mikkola is very good with and without the puck. He has been since day one. Not sure where that scouting report came from.

No scouting report. Asking how his puck skills are. In his first camp his physical gifts were clear, but you could tell his hands were nowhere near NHL-level. If he's been working on that the past couple of seasons, it would be nice to hear that from the folks who get to watch him.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
I dont know if he's been working on it, but his puck skills are very good for an AHL defenseman.

I hear this a lot, but one would think that if his puck skills were really that good, it would translate into points eventually, right? He doesn’t get PP time to my knowledge and our 5v5 scoring has been, erm, down, so he hasn’t gotten to be around a lot of goals in general, but... he should be creating some if he’s as good as some say he is. We know from the Worlds that he can turn it on, so maybe he’s a guy that shines with stronger teammates, but you’d like to see him *creating* more regardless. Just my two cents

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I hear this a lot, but one would think that if his puck skills were really that good, it would translate into points eventually, right? He doesn’t get PP time to my knowledge and our 5v5 scoring has been, erm, down, so he hasn’t gotten to be around a lot of goals in general, but... he should be creating some if he’s as good as some say he is. We know from the Worlds that he can turn it on, so maybe he’s a guy that shines with stronger teammates, but you’d like to see him *creating* more regardless. Just my two cents
I think you are on wrong track here. Got the sense that last year he focused on simple game, adjusting to smaller ice and learning angles and speed. WC certainly added to his confidence and he is off to great start this year. He has 2 goals and 6 points in 11 games so far. That is more on a per game basis than any of Blues D other than Petro. Not saying he is going to be offensive star in St. Louis, because that seems unlikely, but his production this year at SA is more than adequate if he excels defensively.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Mikkola is not, primarily, an offensive-defenseman.

He’s a beautiful skater who can close gaps and maintain position.

The Blues don’t need him to score.

They need top offensive prospects to score.
This is first I like your post. Fully agree.

Mikkola never has been offenside dynamo and never will be. Reliable old school/fatherish defensive dmen who has wheels and really impressive later movement such a tall player. His best atributes are Parayko's type of defensive stick and long reach. He's in my book what Edmundson was when he was at best. He needs his d-pair carry a bit transition game, but when he got his confidence on he can create offensive plays. Mikkola has better shot than Edmundson, but that isn't what will 'woo' people.

I have never ever say he is going to be point producer, but can easily become top4 dmen who can play heavy minutes + biggest PK icetime and be a pair with Parayko or Faulk. More I think about Mikkola could be pretty good fit with Faulk, help him defesive game and give room for Faulk play his strenghts, transition and offensive game. (feed him at blueline)

Feels like people view if you don't produce as a dmen you arent NHL caliber player. I rather take to team dmen who don't give scoring chances for opponent + are bad point produce than dmen who give a lot of scoring chances, but point produce is good.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
This is first I like your post. Fully agree.

Mikkola never has been offenside dynamo and never will be. Reliable old school/fatherish defensive dmen who has wheels and really impressive later movement such a tall player. His best atributes are Parayko's type of defensive stick and long reach. He's in my book what Edmundson was when he was at best. He needs his d-pair carry a bit transition game, but when he got his confidence on he can create offensive plays. Mikkola has better shot than Edmundson, but that isn't what will 'woo' people.

I have never ever say he is going to be point producer, but can easily become top4 dmen who can play heavy minutes + biggest PK icetime and be a pair with Parayko or Faulk. More I think about Mikkola could be pretty good fit with Faulk, help him defesive game and give room for Faulk play his strenghts, transition and offensive game. (feed him at blueline)

Feels like people view if you don't produce as a dmen you arent NHL caliber player. I rather take to team dmen who don't give scoring chances for opponent + are bad point produce than dmen who give a lot of scoring chances, but point produce is good.
So Mikkola could be a young Bouwmeester?

(I realize Bouwmeester used to be more offensive minded when he was younger. But the Bouwmeester we got was not.)

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Wasn't Garth fighter? 200min penalty minutes was normal season.

What is going on here?

For many reasons fan of both Butcher and Mikkola. And hoping to see Mikkola succeed.

I agree that atleast in Finland he flashed his mobility and even overconfidence with the puck (and I always hoped he simplified his game). That certainly is difference between Mikkola and Butcher.

But overall Butcher was most of his career top 4D. Could carry minutes. He was quite hard hitting and could clear the front of the net. Better than avarage stay at home D. And if I have understood it right quite a pest too. Lot of that goes to Mikkola as well (or lets say what is his ceiling and potential). Though in Butcher´s time it was even bit of expectation that the big stay at home D´s were atleast sort of secondary enforcers. And if Mikkola would try to get to NHL 30 years ago that would probably be somewhat expected from him too.

Last edited:

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
It's almost like they expect their dmen to do something else other than score, like prevent goals from being scored on us, clear the crease and clear our zone than rack up points. :sarcasm:

Points are great, but there's so much a player can do to help the team win that doesn't show up on the scoreboard...

ROR was recognized as a premium defensive centre for years with an average of 50-60 points - which is a far cry from the 80+ points expected from most 1Cs around the league, or the 70+ expected from 2Cs.

By the same extent JBo was widely recognized as a really effective Dman without exceeding 40 points on a regular basis, because he did so many other things allowing others to post the points. Similar to what Edmundson did in his best season for us before regressing, where he freed up his partner to join the rush and play more offensively.

I know this isn’t the main point of your post but who is expecting 80+ pts for a 1C and 70+ for a 2C? That’s way unreasonable IMO. And to support what I think you’re saying, that doesn’t even account for other aspects of what makes a player good besides points (like ROR’s elite defense and faceoff ability).

Just looking at last season’s stats, there were 16 centers with 80+ pts and last season was higher scoring than most other recent seasons. An additional 17 centers scored 70+ pts. I’d say an “expectation” for a 1C would be 70ish points, not 80. And I didn’t do the math on 2C but to be among the 62 best Cs, I’d think that number would be closer to 50, not 70.

Some people may expect 1Cs to hit 80 and 2Cs to hit 70 but that’s a way unreasonable expectation IMO.

Jessica

17 year Rampage sth
Jul 1, 2005
San Antonio, TX
25th Year Anniversary (Iguana) Jersey Auction List

Adam Wilcox 1200
Ville Husso 1500
Niko Mikkola 1100
Derrick Pouliot 900
Joey LaLeggia 900
Cam Darcy 1100
Nathan Walker 1150
Alexey Toropchenko 1200
Austin Poganski 700
Nolan Stevens 700
Mike Vecchione 800
Jake Dotchin 1100
Klim Kostin 1400
Tanner Kaspick 600
Zach Nastasiuk 800
Jordan Kyrou 1100
Nick Lappin 900
Jake Walman 1000
Andreas Borgman 800
Jordan Nolan 1300
T-Bone 1500
Team signed 900

Overall total 22,650

The Dragon jerseys they wore are being auctioned off online.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Kostin and Kyrou with goals today, mid-way through 3rd tied 2-2. Edit: 3-2 SA now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad