2019-20 Minor League Thread - Rampage/Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If this is how they play auditioning for call up DA should watch Rampage more often. They’ve scored 8 tonight.

hockensm77

Feb 21, 2015
I'm just glad the Blues have finally put an emphasis on guys that can score Empty-Netters, we've been struggling in that department for quite some time.
Ever since the Jay McClement Era. There was one season where I thought he was going to hit 20 goals, all empty-netters.

Reactions: Vincenzo Arelliti

BleedBlueForever

Jun 24, 2015
Kyrou with two assists in his return. Looked very good is his first game back. Kostin had a snipe on the powerplay and had an assist as well. Husso had a strong game, made some very good saves when it was still a close game in the 1st and 2nd periods.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
If Borgman &/or Mikkola can handle a 3rd pairing role, I wonder if Armstrong would consider using Dunn as a chip to improve the offense?

Faulk-Petro
Bouw-Parayko
Mikkola-Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson-Reinke

It's not quite as deep as with Dunn & Edmundson...and Gunnarsson & Bouwmeester are year-to-year stop-gaps at this point...but if the bottom pairing is 'passable', that could be a way to bring in Hall without sacrificing Kyrou or some key 'future'. Though...if one of the Rampage forwards prove they're ready for a scoring role, then maybe they force their way onto the big squad and alleviate the need to go get a Kreider or Hall in Tarasenko's absence. In that case, maybe Armstrong is willing to recoup a pick or a 3rd pairing D for one of the guys currently in the 11th-14th forward mix.

Either way...if the Rampage keep putting up wins, and players keep putting up points they WILL get their chance; and the flexibility Armstrong would have would make him the envy of the league: A championship-club, with an NHL-roster overflowing with depth with desirable assets in the NHL and AHL-levels available for trade at multiple positions, with enough current-season LTIR-flexibility and long-term cap maneuverability to move, acquire or re-sign pretty much anyone that he'd want, pending availability.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
If Borgman &/or Mikkola can handle a 3rd pairing role, I wonder if Armstrong would consider using Dunn as a chip to improve the offense?

Faulk-Petro
Bouw-Parayko
Mikkola-Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson-Reinke

It's not quite as deep as with Dunn & Edmundson...and Gunnarsson & Bouwmeester are year-to-year stop-gaps at this point...but if the bottom pairing is 'passable', that could be a way to bring in Hall without sacrificing Kyrou or some key 'future'. Though...if one of the Rampage forwards prove they're ready for a scoring role, then maybe they force their way onto the big squad and alleviate the need to go get a Kreider or Hall in Tarasenko's absence. In that case, maybe Armstrong is willing to recoup a pick or a 3rd pairing D for one of the guys currently in the 11th-14th forward mix.

Either way...if the Rampage keep putting up wins, and players keep putting up points they WILL get their chance; and the flexibility Armstrong would have would make him the envy of the league: A championship-club, with an NHL-roster overflowing with depth with desirable assets in the NHL and AHL-levels available for trade at multiple positions, with enough current-season LTIR-flexibility and long-term cap maneuverability to move, acquire or re-sign pretty much anyone that he'd want, pending availability.
I’ve too wondered if Dunn might be guy they deal to fill top 6 hole. He is super talent and would seemingly have strong value but they clearly don’t trust him. If They aren’t comfortable playing him with Petro and he struggles with Faulk, it does rather limit options.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
I’ve too wondered if Dunn might be guy they deal to fill top 6 hole. He is super talent and would seemingly have strong value but they clearly don’t trust him. If They aren’t comfortable playing him with Petro and he struggles with Faulk, it does rather limit options.

IMO, keep Dunn and glue him next to Parayko when Gunnarsson is in.

Gunnarsson-Pietrangelo
Dunn-Parayko
Bouwmeester-Faulk

Also, Kyrou will be up VERY soon if he keeps playing like he did last night.

Sanford/Fabbri-O’Reilly-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou
Blais-Bozak-Thomas
Barbashev-Sundqvist-Steen
MacEachern

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Trading Dunn would be horrendous move. This is his 2nd full year at NHL level and he's 23-years old. 3-4 years to improve his overall game and biggest weakness defensive game.

Reactions: Renard

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
So it looks like only Vecchione and Walker are going to score this year for SA lol. Good depth, just about everyone (except Borgman, Olsen, among guys that have played every game) has 1-2 goals, but we’ve been leaning hard on those two vets especially. Our PP has been great, but 5v5 has been just meh, so not a lot of scoring to get spread around.

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Really curious to hear how Mikkola is showing in San Antōn. If/when Petro gets extended, and if the team is truly as high on Justin Faulk as it would seem, this guy has the logical attributes (tools, LHD, ECL) to plug into the roster to make the budget work. If he's being viewed as a shut-down guy, he may be able to crack the roster sooner than later...if he's got the minimum required puck-skills. His stat-line looks respectable, having just about matched 70-games worth of production from last year in just 11 games this season, but I'm not finding ATOI, what situations he's being used in or anything to actually confirm he's indeed taken that next step in his development.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
Really curious to hear how Mikkola is showing in San Antōn. If/when Petro gets extended, and if the team is truly as high on Justin Faulk as it would seem, this guy has the logical attributes (tools, LHD, ECL) to plug into the roster to make the budget work. If he's being viewed as a shut-down guy, he may be able to crack the roster sooner than later...if he's got the minimum required puck-skills. His stat-line looks respectable, having just about matched 70-games worth of production from last year in just 11 games this season, but I'm not finding ATOI, what situations he's being used in or anything to actually confirm he's indeed taken that next step in his development.

The thing about Mikkola is that his scoring comes in spurts. Yes, he’s done more earlier this year. But if his record is indicative of anything, he’s more likely to go pointless in the next 30-40 games than he is to continue his current pace (which only came in a handful of games). He just doesn’t show up on the scoresheet very often. Can he temporarily plug a gap left by Bouwmeester? In terms of a warm body, sure, but the same could have been said about Lindbohm once upon a time, and now he’s playing in a second-tier Euro league.

I’m personally more excited by Pouliot’s early showing. He’s looking strong, especially in a PP role. Very much in a Shattenkirk-lite mold.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
The thing about Mikkola is that his scoring comes in spurts. Yes, he’s done more earlier this year. But if his record is indicative of anything, he’s more likely to go pointless in the next 30-40 games than he is to continue his current pace (which only came in a handful of games). He just doesn’t show up on the scoresheet very often. Can he temporarily plug a gap left by Bouwmeester? In terms of a warm body, sure, but the same could have been said about Lindbohm once upon a time, and now he’s playing in a second-tier Euro league.

I’m personally more excited by Pouliot’s early showing. He’s looking strong, especially in a PP role. Very much in a Shattenkirk-lite mold.
With Faulk and Dunn on the team, a Shattenkirk-lite is basically the last thing this team needs.

Mikkola is a much more important piece that will hopefully pan out.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
With Faulk and Dunn on the team, a Shattenkirk-lite is basically the last thing this team needs.

Mikkola is a much more important piece that will hopefully pan out.

I’ll never understand wanting someone that scores 4 points a year on the team like some do, but to each their own

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
I’ll never understand wanting someone that scores 4 points a year on the team like some do, but to each their own

It's almost like they expect their dmen to do something else other than score, like prevent goals from being scored on us, clear the crease and clear our zone than rack up points. :sarcasm:

Points are great, but there's so much a player can do to help the team win that doesn't show up on the scoreboard...

ROR was recognized as a premium defensive centre for years with an average of 50-60 points - which is a far cry from the 80+ points expected from most 1Cs around the league, or the 70+ expected from 2Cs.

By the same extent JBo was widely recognized as a really effective Dman without exceeding 40 points on a regular basis, because he did so many other things allowing others to post the points. Similar to what Edmundson did in his best season for us before regressing, where he freed up his partner to join the rush and play more offensively.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Poganski with 9 points in 11 games so far. I thought he looked solid in preseason and has carried that play into the AHL. I doubt he'll be anything higher than a bottom six player in the NHL, but not a bad find in the 4th round if everything pans out.

Reactions: Celtic Note

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I mean he’s been scoring more so far this year in the AHL, so 4 points doesn’t seem like it’s giving him enough credit, but regardless, he’s a big physical guy that can skate and play good defense. Doesn’t that sound like a really good option to add on the left side with Bouw and Gunny getting older? I’m excited about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad