2019-20 Minor League Thread - Rampage/Oilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
From the few bits of action I've seen on line Walman has looked good. Using his superior skating and seems to have cut down on the turnovers.

Finally some good news about Walman! I've been hoping for big things from him since I saw him in our prospect camp a couple of years ago.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I have tickets for the Rampage game on January 3, 2020.

I hope Nathan Walker has a big game, and I can continue my lonely effort to promote his NHL candidacy.

Unfortunately, my wife and grandkids will attend the game too and the ninos will probably keep me distracted.

Stupendous Yappi

Any famous last words? Not yet!
Sponsor
Aug 23, 2018
Erwin, TN
Nathan Walker had a five point night for the Rampage on November 19th and was voted the game's first star.

That's pretty good for a dime-a-dozen guy popcorn guy.
I’m not sure if he can be effective in the NHL, but I sure don’t see what more he could do in the AHL to earn the chance to try.

However, now that Kostin is up and has not looked overwhelmed in his limited appearance to date, I hope he gets a legitimate chance to stick and find a role he’s ready for. More likely he gets sent down after a while.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
Nathan Walker had a five point night for the Rampage on November 19th and was voted the game's first star.

I am more than ready to give him a look. Maybe he is just one of those guys who hit his stride late. It is rare but has happened before.

I have liked Kostin's game but I think he needs just a bit more seasoning before he can be counted as an everyday NHL player. It is also no secret I am not a fan on Sanford and his inconsistent play. I would pressbox Sanford, call up Walker and run these lines.

Schwartz - Schenn - Bozak - Didn't love Bozak on the wing against Tampa but it deserves another look.
Blais - O'Reilly - Perron - This line is just good together.
Walker - Thomas - Kostin - Thomas looked better at center than he ever has at wing.
MacMac - Barbashev - Sundqvist - I just love this line. I feel like they all play their best when they are together.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

He had been pretty quiet the last couple of weeks until they put him and Vecchione on a line with Kyrou. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but I'm sure it helped. That and Chicago is pretty bad right now.

I expect that Kyrou will get the call before the month is over, either flipping spots with Kostin or with DLR.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
He had been pretty quiet the last couple of weeks until they put him and Vecchione on a line with Kyrou. Correlation doesn't equal causation, but I'm sure it helped. That and Chicago is pretty bad right now.

I expect that Kyrou will get the call before the month is over, either flipping spots with Kostin or with DLR.

That Walker-Vecchione-Kyrou has been our best AHL line since Megan-Agozzinno-Agostino a few years back. Last night was a good time for them to unload

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Kyrou: Barzal-lite if we can ever teach him to skate in straight lines and work his motor more. When he wants to play Datsyuk-defense, he can, he just doesn't most of the time. I really want to see that from him consistently at the AHL before we call him up because I don't believe he'll develop that consistency in his game if he doesn't develop it there first. He's shown the ability to just steal the puck whenever he wants at the junior level, and he can play great keep-away along the boards, too, but he just doesn't seem to be consistent in that way. He can be absolutely dominant if he ever learns to make that a consistent part of his playstyle.

Reactions: STLBLUES44

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I heard Drew Bannister's today. He was interviewed by Jamie Rivers on 101.1 FM.

He made comment about Kostin, Kyrou and Walker. I posted those comments on the Defending the Cup thread.

He also commented on Mitch Reinke. He said that Reinke injured his shoulder in the Traverse City tournament. It still bothered him during the Blues training camp, which accounted for his unimpressive camp (at least in part.)

He also reported that Reinke injured his hip and has consequently played in only seven games for the Rampage so far this season.

I dont remember hearing about these two injuries. He seemed to be a disappointment in camp and that was the first bad new I had ever heard about the guy. Now, I feel better about it.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Tom Timmermann, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch beat writer commented recently on Jake Walman.

Walman is playing much better, and has turned his career around. He is even with Pouliot, and a possible call-up this season if we have a need on left defense.
Is he ahead of Mikkola?

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Rampage scored twice in 29 seconds in the final two minutes with the empty net to salvage a point before losing in OT. Not Husso's best game, but he made some great saves as well. Walman continues to be a total difference maker. We have seen a rebirth of that young man. Reinke and Kyrou were held off the scoresheet but Vecchione picked up yet another goal, his 14th.

Bad news: Toropchenko was tripped on a breakaway and slammed very hard into the endboards in the 1st period. He left and did not return.

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Great to hear Walman has improve his game. He was in our prospect ranking almost ~20 spot.

SIU LAW

Apr 29, 2006
Walman seems destined to be a throw in for a future deal or will eventually find a home in another organization.

Coach Nate

Angry Rampage Expat
Aug 17, 2008
San Antonio
Jordan Kyrou is going to make me pull every single gray hair out of my head if he keeps doing the things he's been doing in the last 3 or 4 games.

Renard

Nov 14, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Walman seems destined to be a throw in for a future deal or will eventually find a home in another organization.

Bouwmeester is 36 years old, and Gunnarsson is chronically injured. We traded away Edmundson.

We are going to need left-handed defensemen on the Blues roster. Why not Walman, Mikkola or Borgman?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad