Salary Cap: 2019-20 - Leafs Salary Cap issues and adjustments?

Rielly

Jan 3, 2014
Toronto,Ontario
well, there are many teams that aren't cap teams, so his caphit would be irrelevant. For those teams, he'd just be a useful vet who can still skate and score a bit and play responsibly and give some leadership, who they only need to pay $1.25m for. For teams that want to pay less than the cap, his contract is even a plus, as it gives them $5.2m of space under the cap floor.

but on top of that, we could give them another asset to sweeten the pot.

Hasnt won a cup yet buddy, he doesnt wanna play on the sens

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I don’t want him merely fired. I want him imprisoned. There is no way he is just this bad at his job. There is something else at play here.
I want a criminal investigation into these dramatic overpayments. I’m not saying he’s guilty of anything. But I at least want there to be an investigation.
You've hit a whole new level of insane...

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Who's Scotty?

And Rielly and Andersen are 100% A list already.

They'll finish top 5 for Norris/Veniza voting.
Scotty Bowmann. I think he has won more Stanley's than anyone else in hockey history. Rielly and Freddy are close very close but not stud horse level yet.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
I don’t want him merely fired. I want him imprisoned. There is no way he is just this bad at his job. There is something else at play here.
I want a criminal investigation into these dramatic overpayments. I’m not saying he’s guilty of anything. But I at least want there to be an investigation.
Maybe Melnyk can help you launch a forensic investigation. ;)

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
72 points? Not a stud?

Back to back top 5 vezina finishes? Not a stud?
Points don't make you a stud. Going to other teams bench and telling them not one of u m***** f******* are scoring a goal in this game when i'm on ice in a game 7 and then helping team get winning goal and getting job done is a horse defense. He is close but no cigar yet. Made huge strides from last playoffs so I have hope.
Freddy is close too but 2 seasons in a row of crapping da bed in Boston in game 7s make me a little more worried he is NOT a money goalie. And if he is not then we can still win with him but he won't be guy to carry us to Cup.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Points don't make you a stud. Going to other teams bench and telling them not one of u m***** f******* are scoring a goal in this game when i'm on ice in a game 7 and then helping team get winning goal and getting job done is a horse defense. He is close but no cigar yet. Made huge strides from last playoffs so I have hope.
Freddy is close too but 2 seasons in a row of crapping da bed in Boston in game 7s make me a little more worried he is NOT a money goalie. And if he is not then we can still win with him but he won't be guy to carry us to Cup.
So is Mcdavid a stud? Karlsson? Price?

Rielly

Jan 3, 2014
Toronto,Ontario
It's about the journey, friend. I don't want to sit around and just remember a cup, I want to experience the journey to a cup. Given Pitts/Chicago are on the eclipse of their core contention period and we are entering ours, yes I would rather be a Leaf fan right now, and congrats to Pitts and Chicago, they've had a hell of a run.

That “journey” could have had the leafs winning this summer or last summer, so unless you didnt watch hockey 4 years ago.. youd be part of the journey & hopefully able to remember 2015-

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Posted this in another thread:

What about a half season LTIR? Does LTIR work towards daily cap hit total or no?

For example, if Marleau is placed on LTIR for a "fake injury" can his cap hit not be counted until the Leafs have accrued enough daily cap space to take him off LTIR? With ~193 days in the season if Marleau is kept on LTIR for ~97 days his cap hit would effectively be 3.125 million for the remaining 95 days of the season or roughly 40 games. Or, in other words, the Leafs would accrue roughly 3.125 million.

The same can be said about Hyman as well. If placed on LTIR for roughly 60 days (based on 6 month estimate) the Leafs would accrue roughly 700k in salary cap in that time. Or am I understanding the cap wrong?

LTIR Exception space does not “accrue”.

If you place a player with a $2m contract on LTIR at the start of the season you can immediately add a $2m contract to replace him. Or at the halfway point of the season you can add a $2m contract, or at the trade deadline you can add a $2m contract.

This is unlike Payroll space which does accrue, where $2m of Payroll space at the start of the season allows you to add a $2m contract, or $4m at the halfway point, or approx $9m at the trade deadline.

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Yes I would rather be paying players towards winning a cup in their prime not for what they did. Do I wish the Leafs had cups of course, that is a stupid question and you are neglecting the point. We are talking from a cap situation and moving forward long term.

UMmmm yes?
Past success has nothing to do with next year. Going forward the leafs have a better younger core........

It's about the journey, friend. I don't want to sit around and just remember a cup, I want to experience the journey to a cup. Given Pitts/Chicago are on the eclipse of their core contention period and we are entering ours, yes I would rather be a Leaf fan right now, and congrats to Pitts and Chicago, they've had a hell of a run.

Maybe I'm crazy but I'd rather have gone through the experience of winning multiple cups (was not even close to being alive for our last one) and then paying my star players for that success vs overpaying our star players for a Calder and 3 first round exits.

I'm fairly certain fans of Chicago and Pittsburg would rather have their cups and their current team then trade places with us.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Lol ... this made my day

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
None of this has anything to do with 2019-2020. The leafs are in a better situation now.

Chicago and Pitt caught lightning when the league changed post lockout and they had young cores.

That they won a decade ago has nothing to do with the current NHL

I guess your saying its even harder to win multiple Cups now than when Chicago & Pittsburgh won theirs. I agree.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
LTIR Exception space does not “accrue”.

If you place a player with a $2m contract on LTIR at the start of the season you can immediately add a $2m contract to replace him. Or at the halfway point of the season you can add a $2m contract, or at the trade deadline you can add a $2m contract.

This is unlike Payroll space which does accrue, where $2m of Payroll space at the start of the season allows you to add a $2m contract, or $4m at the halfway point, or approx $9m at the trade deadline.

QUESTION - I've been checking CapFriendly every 5 or 6 days over the last month (approx.). I've noticed that the Leafs "projected cap space" goes up each time I check. Its gone from $3.x m (low threes) to $5.x most recently.

Any ideas why it increases over time?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I guess your saying its even harder to win multiple Cups now than when Chicago & Pittsburgh won theirs. I agree.

That and they got their top players at a time when the league was moving to a younger mans game. We were still weeding out the phaneufs and clarksons

These 2 teams had the front end of the wave. Now people for some reason act like you have to have a group of stars on ELC or you can’t win the cup. Which isn’t true at all.

2 teams did it. And for Pitt only Mallon was elc

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
That and they got their top players at a time when the league was moving to a younger mans game. We were still weeding out the phaneufs and clarksons

These 2 teams had the front end of the wave. Now people for some reason act like you have to have a group of stars on ELC or you can’t win the cup. Which isn’t true at all.

2 teams did it. And for Pitt only Mallon was elc

Hey we agree! Yea! Yes, it will be harder for the Leafs than Pitt/Chicago.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad