Salary Cap: 2019-20 - Leafs Salary Cap issues and adjustments?

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Of course because they went through the experience with their team.

That's what I'm saying.

I'd rather have slightly overpaid stars that have actually won multiple cups vs overpaid stars and zero results.

You guys are the ones saying you'd rather be in our place

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
That's what I'm saying.

I'd rather have slightly overpaid stars that have actually won multiple cups vs overpaid stars and zero results.

Because our stars are 21’ and theirs are 31Is that strange?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Lou's plan did not include overpaying the big 3 when he signed Marleau and Z. I blame Shanny and Dubas who are the two constants.

He didn't show a hint of foresight with those contracts. He did similar things with the Devils.

Those contracts are on Lou and Lou alone.

Edit: typo

Last edited:

Stamkos4life

Oct 25, 2018
Because our stars are 21’ and theirs are 31Is that strange?

So, to clarify, you'd rather be in our position (no playoff success, 1 calder and overpaid players) than having won multiple cups and have overpaid players (hawks or Pittsburg)?

Unless you just started watching hockey today I do no know how you can honestly say you'd rather be in our position.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
4 guys making $40 mil = almost 1/2 the Cap..

Hard to see how this will not have major ramifications on team depth and competitiveness going forward.

Take the top 20 highest AAV contracts in the NHL this year .. Only Jamie Benn making $9.5 mil is the only player that made it to the 2nd round. The other 19 either were 1 and done or missed altogether.

That has be make one real nervous with Leafs about to have the #2 and #3 highest in AM and JT next with Marner looking like he will be joining them in the top 10 soon.
While I also really hate the dramatic overpayments, it was pointed out recently that the Pens won their last two cups paying their 4 most expensive players only slightly less cap percentage than the leafs next year (penning Marner in at 10-11).

But that’s with Crosby and Malkin in their primes.

We would need the big 3 to actually pay like the utterly elite superstars they’re paid as.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
While I also really hate the dramatic overpayments, it was pointed out recently that the Pens won their last two cups paying their 4 most expensive players only slightly less cap percentage than the leafs next year (penning Marner in at 10-11).

We would need the big 3 to actually pay like the utterly elite superstars they’re paid as.

the big 3 or any Leaf are just not Crosby or Malkin dominant, not yet anyways

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
So, to clarify, you'd rather be in our position (no playoff success, 1 calder and overpaid players) than having won multiple cups and have overpaid players (hawks or Pittsburg)?

Unless you just started watching hockey today I do no know how you can honestly say you'd rather be in our position.

What? None of the teams are in the playoffs right now. I want to watch and follow the teams in the present/future. What happened 2 years ago is irrelevant to now.

their . Star cores during times of cap circumventing contracts are irrelevant to right now.

Crosby did NOT win a cup on his elc. He took what 17.5 percent of the cap? How is that better?

The leafs have a much better core now. And have a chance to do so in the future. In my opinion. I would not change having a core of under 25 stars right now for under 35 like Chicago and Pitt

If you have any understanding of the history of Chicago and Pitt. You would know what might be coming......’Chicago was the biggest joke in the league. They traded hasek AND lost Belfour for jimmy Waite.

They weren’t even on TV!

Pitt has had a stream of hall of famers for 20 years and if they aren’t in the playoffs the team are on life support. There will be rumours of them moving to Hamilton in 5 years.

If you want to relive the glory days and watch re runs of old cups. That’s up to you I guess. But then again you might want to keep following the leafs. We have more than both those teams put together

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
the big 3 or any Leaf are just not Crosby or Malkin dominant, not yet anyways
To be fair (and I can’t believe it’s me of all people saying this) but Crosby and Malkin weren’t “next level” dominant their last two cup years. Regular seasons anyways...

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Soooooo. He will overpay 2 complimentary peices.... but play hardball on 3 stars?

Really?

You do know he signed kovy to a like 100 million dollar contract right?

Neidermeyer. Tavares. Parise.

He has lost 3 of the biggest UFAs in the cap era.

Go Lou!

Not saying Lou does not make mistakes but Marleau and Z were UFAs and the big 3 were RFAs. Did he play hardball with Naz, Morgs and Freddy ? Did he have to twist their arms to sign? Are those bad deals? There is a thing called signing RFAs at market value and to team friendly deals. No? As far as his UFAs leaving they all went home or wanted to play with their brother in Niedermayer's case. I believe Suter left Nashville for the same reason as Parise.

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
He didn't show a hint of foresight with those contracts. He did similar things with the Devils.

Those contracts are on Lou and Lou alone.

Edit: typo

No doubt they are on Lou but IMO he does better negotiating the deals for the big 3. Dubas knew the Leafs would be up against the cap and he still went ahead and overpaid Nylander and Matthews with Marner waiting in the wings. He talked about preferring to let Nylander sit out rather than overpaying and then he folded like a cheap tent. He pretty much took away any financial advantage the Leafs had on budget teams.

Rielly

Jan 3, 2014
Toronto,Ontario
No doubt they are on Lou but IMO he does better negotiating the deals for the big 3. Dubas knew the Leafs would be up against the cap and he still went ahead and overpaid Nylander and Matthews with Marner waiting in the wings. He talked about preferring to let Nylander sit out rather than overpaying and then he folded like a cheap tent. He pretty much took away any financial advantage the Leafs had on budget teams.

Nylander @ 6.6 isnt bad

Matthews is a horrible contract loool

Rielly

Jan 3, 2014
Toronto,Ontario
What? None of the teams are in the playoffs right now. I want to watch and follow the teams in the present/future. What happened 2 years ago is irrelevant to now.

their . Star cores during times of cap circumventing contracts are irrelevant to right now.

Crosby did NOT win a cup on his elc. He took what 17.5 percent of the cap? How is that better?

The leafs have a much better core now. And have a chance to do so in the future. In my opinion. I would not change having a core of under 25 stars right now for under 35 like Chicago and Pitt

If you have any understanding of the history of Chicago and Pitt. You would know what might be coming......’Chicago was the biggest joke in the league. They traded hasek AND lost Belfour for jimmy Waite.

They weren’t even on TV!

Pitt has had a stream of hall of famers for 20 years and if they aren’t in the playoffs the team are on life support. There will be rumours of them moving to Hamilton in 5 years.

If you want to relive the glory days and watch re runs of old cups. That’s up to you I guess. But then again you might want to keep following the leafs. We have more than both those teams put together

Idgi did you not watch hockey 2 years ago? Nothings gonna last forever bud, good thing the leafs didnt win this year orelse it wouldnt mean anything to u by october

Reactions: Stamkos4life

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Nylander @ 6.6 isnt bad

Matthews is a horrible contract loool

60+ point Nylander at 6.6 is not bad. 2018/2019 Nylander at 6.6 not so good.

Going 5 years with AM at that AAV is a fail. Dubas and company pretty much bent over and gave Matty a blank cheque. Dubas now prepping the vaseline for Marner.

Reactions: The CyNick

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
Man, I'd love to know how everything would've played out if Dubas had allowed Nylander to sit the year.

Reactions: rumman

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I love the skill of the core and the fact that the Leafs have his kind of offensive potential and individual star power, but theoretically I wonder if building via defense is the more efficient way to win? Cheaper salaries and you see how good a top 6 blue line core of redwood defensemen can result in a very balanced team.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Not saying Lou does not make mistakes but Marleau and Z were UFAs and the big 3 were RFAs. Did he play hardball with Naz, Morgs and Freddy ? Did he have to twist their arms to sign? Are those bad deals? There is a thing called signing RFAs at market value and to team friendly deals. No? As far as his UFAs leaving they all went home or wanted to play with their brother in Niedermayer's case. I believe Suter left Nashville for the same reason as Parise.

None of them had the leverage. You look at comparables. And when they can sign.

People act like McKinnon/Barkov were great deals.

Matthews could legit take the next 2 years off and STILL be outscoring mackinnon in his first 5 years.

Nylander was market value. Just late. Matthews set the market because he is literally the best goal scoring C in the league since the day he stepped on the ice

Reactions: cookie

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
That's what I'm saying.

a) Elite players get paid big regardless if they've won a cup. Happens all over the league and it's not a big deal
b) I don't have time for people complaining that we didn't win a cup when our young players were in their ELC

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
You don't really need to be clairvoyant to predict that. We'd still lose to Boston in 7, and then people would spend the off-season blaming Dubas for not signing Nylander for the loss.
Pretty much. Unless the third line would have absolutely imploded without him. Worst case is that we lose in six instead of seven. Who cares.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Malkin ($9.5) + Crosby ($8.7) + Kessel ($6.8) (after Leafs paying $1.2 mil) = $25 mil
vs
Matthews ($11.63) + Tavares ($11.0) + Hyman (2.25) = $25 mil or + Kessel ($1.2 mil retained) = $26 mil

Bergeron + Marchand + Pastrnak = $19.63
Kucherov + Stamkos + Point ($8.5) = $26..5 mil

&
Nylander = ~ what Letang or Hedman etc make as #4 highest but a Dman.

Without Marner being factored in at all !!!

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Malkin ($9.5) + Crosby ($8.7) + Kessel ($6.8) (after Leafs paying $1.2 mil) = $25 mil
vs
Matthews ($11.63) + Tavares ($11.0) + Hyman (2.25) = $25 mil or + Kessel ($1.2 mil retained) = $26 mil

Bergeron + Marchand + Pastrnak = $19.63
Kucherov + Stamkos + Point ($8.5) = $26..5 mil

&
Nylander = ~ what Letang or Hedman etc make as #4 highest but a Dman.

Without Marner being factored in at all !!!

I said cap percentage.

When the Penguins won the cup in 2016, their top 4 cap hits were: Malkin ($9.5) + Crosby ($8.7) + Kessel ($6.8) + Letang ($7.25) = $32.2 out of a cap ceiling of $71.4.

Pens top 4 percentage of cap: 45%

Leafs next year: Matthews ($11.6) + Tavares ($11) + Nylander ($7) + Marner ($10.5?) = $40.1 out of a projected cap ceiling of $83

Leafs top 4 percentage of cap: 48%

Is that 3% really that big of a difference? I mean, the Pens won 2 cups in a row under such percentages.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2