Salary Cap: 2019-20 - Leafs Salary Cap issues and adjustments?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
After reading this thread (and others on same topic), it seems like some are adding players (e.g. defenders). It seems like some adjustments, reductions and cutting of players is more likely.

Toronto Maple Leafs - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

If you examine CapFriendly for the 2019-2020 season, there are some things that are striking.

2019-2020 CapFriendly summary highlights:

1. We have committed $75 m to 18 players already.
  2. Salaries for UFAs & RFA are not included in the $75m figure.
  3. UFA (not included in #2 above) - Gardiner & Hainsey
  4. RFA (not included in #2 above) - Marner, Kapanen, Ozhiganov, Johnsson
  5. $8 m of cap space left over using the anticipated $83 m cap limit for 2019-2020
  6. 3 to 5 players to sign with that $8m of cap space

Even if we assume that Marner would sign for $8 m AAV, that would mean we have zero (0) dollars left over to sign two (2) additional players to reach the minimum 21 player roster level.

So, looks like some pretty significant level of cutting is going to be necessary. I think we can assume that at least all of the UFAs won't be signed, one RFA will have to be cut, and another roster player or two will need to be cut (which ones depend on the magnitude of their salaries).

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
After reading this thread (and others on same topic), it seems like some are adding players (e.g. defenders). It seems like some adjustments, reductions and cutting of players is more likely.

If you examine CapFriendly for the 2019-2020 season, there are some things that are striking.

Kessel $1.2 mil retained salary is also likely included in those figures in terms of commitment, but he isn't a roster player among the 18.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016

2. Salaries for UFAs & RFA are not included in the $75m figure.
  3. UFA (not included in #2 above) - Gardiner & Hainsey
  4. RFA (not included in #2 above) - Marner, Kapanen, Ozhiganov, Johnsson
  5. $8 m of cap space left over using the anticipated $83 m cap limit for 2019-2020
  6. 3 to 5 players to sign with that $8m of cap space

Even if we assume that Marner would sign for $8 m AAV, that would mean we have zero (0) dollars left over to sign two (2) additional players to reach the minimum 21 player roster level.

So, looks like some pretty significant level of cutting is going to be necessary. I think we can assume that at least all of the UFAs won't be signed, one RFA will have to be cut, and another roster player or two will need to be cut (which ones depend on the magnitude of their salaries).
Horton on LTIR
Marleau Ret to Sharks
Trade Brown
Get rid of Zaitsev somehow

Not easy, but very doable

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
I don't know why people think Marleau is such a jerk that he would invoke his no-trade clause, given that we gave him a massive amount of money up front, and given that he knows it would screw the team over.

why do people think Marleau is that kind of massive ahole?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Kessel $1.2 mil retained salary is also likely included in those figures in terms of commitment, but he isn't a roster player among the 18.

I think that's correct. Kessel would not be included in the 18 players already under contract list.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
I don't know why people think Marleau is such a jerk that he would invoke his no-trade clause, given that we gave him a massive amount of money up front, and given that he knows it would screw the team over.

Because most people look at legal contracts as an valid agreement between two parties? If one party didn't really intend to implement certain parts of this legal contractual agreement, then the logical thing to do is not include those aspects.

Also, I don't think calling PM an asshole is either fair or a logical conclusion. Both he and the Leafs signed a contract and he is justified (i.e., not an a-hole) for expecting the terms of the contract to be honored.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I doubt he wants to uproot his family again and I also doubt the Sharks want his cap hit.
Especially if the Sharks want to sign Karlsson long term.
We will need to make some significant cuts and you can't cut the 700K guys.
Keeping both Nylander and Marner will cost you 2-3 players.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

No one thinks that. Seems your projecting your thoughts on everyone else.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Because most people look at legal contracts as an valid agreement between two parties? If one party didn't really intend to implement certain parts of this legal contractual agreement, then the logical thing to do is not include those aspects.

Also, I don't think calling PM an ******* is either fair or a logical conclusion. Both he and the Leafs signed a contract and he is justified (i.e., not an a-hole) for expecting the terms of the contract to be honored.

what? NMC's are more often not invoked than invoked. where do people get this idea that players always invoke their NMC?

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Horton on LTIR
Marleau Ret to Sharks
Trade Brown
Get rid of Zaitsev somehow

Not easy, but very doable

Would agree with the "not easy" part. That would be an understatement.

Trade Zaitsev could actually require adding some incentives for the other team e.g. the Hossa trade. In other words, it could mean additional subtractions somewhere. And if its not in roster players, then it certainly will be some combination of prospects & picks. The Hossa trade involved a 3rd and two roster players going to the Yotes.

Last edited:

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I'm always surprised that Kadri's name never comes up as being dealt in the off-season. Think he has as much value to Toronto as Staal did with Pittsburgh. Another team could be looking him as their 2nd line center.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
what? NMC's are more often not invoked than invoked. where do people get this idea that players always invoke their NMC?

Even if we assume that Marleau would waive his NMC, we have to entertain the idea of what would motivate the other team to take his contract. I would guess that we would need to provide some incentive for the other team, no? Unless we believe the mission of all these other NHL teams is to help us out I guess.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Even if we assume that Marleau would waive his NMC, we have to entertain the idea of what would motivate the other team to take his contract. I would guess that we would need to provide some incentive for the other team, no? Unless we believe the mission of all these other NHL teams is to help us out I guess.
Why not? Goes with the assumption that Marleau wants to help them out.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm always surprised that Kadri's name never comes up as being dealt in the off-season. Think he has as much value to Toronto as Staal did with Pittsburgh. Another team could be looking him as their 2nd line center.
I've mentioned Kadri before.
I could see him going instead of Nylander.

Reactions: Budsfan

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005

well, there are many teams that aren't cap teams, so his caphit would be irrelevant. For those teams, he'd just be a useful vet who can still skate and score a bit and play responsibly and give some leadership, who they only need to pay $1.25m for. For teams that want to pay less than the cap, his contract is even a plus, as it gives them $5.2m of space under the cap floor.

but on top of that, we could give them another asset to sweeten the pot.

Reactions: teddygmr

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
well, there are many teams that aren't cap teams, so his caphit would be irrelevant. For those teams, he'd just be a useful vet who can still skate and score a bit and play responsibly and give some leadership, who they only need to pay $1.25m for. For teams that want to pay less than the cap, his contract is even a plus, as it gives them $5.2m of space under the cap floor.

but on top of that, we could give them another asset to sweeten the pot.
Yeah, Marleau would be an absolute ahole not to jump at that opportunity. :laugh:

Reactions: Rielly

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I've mentioned Kadri before.
I could see him going instead of Nylander.
Someone has too.
You can’t deal the bottom players. 700K is no cap relief to plug in another 700K.

If you aren’t trading the top, that leaves the middle.

Reactions: CDN24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad