Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
It not money, though, is it? All it is is cap. They are two different things.

Retained cap means the team pays the player the retained amount.

The Leafs pay 1.2 million of Kessels salary it's not an imaginary thing.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
99% Marleau is back next year. The only way he won't come back is due to an injury. LTIR, but i doubt it.

His contract is the best. It puts such a squeeze on the cap, forces AM, MM, KK, AJ to all take reasonable caps. If hes not here you can bet those 4 will eat up the 6M space hes using. And then we would be screwed for years to come, not just next year.

Cap gurus need to find a way to fit everyone next year. The year after we will have most our players signed and with the cap going up and Patty off the books we will have about $10M in cap space.

RLF

May 5, 2014
I don’t think we can absolve shady business here. At the least, AZ circumvented cap by trading for him for the sole purpose of buying him out to carry the cap hit. They gave up hockey assets to artificially hit the cap floor. The league chose not to do anything here, and could very well choose not to do anything again.

That said, one difference is Marleaus NMC. Hard to deny intent when Marleau was ready to waive the NMC, then signs back...

Maybe. I guess there is no guarantee we couldn't do it. But as you say and I have said in the past, Marleau would also have to waive his NTC in order to be moved in the first place. I am not sure if the Leafs want to take the chance of being penalized a draft pick or something for one year of gained cap space.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Retained cap means the team pays the player the retained amount.

The Leafs pay 1.2 million of Kessels salary it's not an imaginary thing.

Maybe look up how much Marleau is owed next year in real money after Jul. 1, and tell the class what his cap hit is before continuing to claim a grape seed is an orange.

Last edited:

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Yeah, I read that today too. Potentially a major consideration.

May have to move a vet at a depth position for relief and prospects. Most teams go through this as stars come off ELCs
$1.7 million isn't achievable (Lindholm and Ozi), plus Marner didn't get the all-star game nod, so that cost him some bonus money. $3.5 million roughly, and they have more cap room than that already

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Maybe. I guess there is no guarantee we couldn't do it. But as you say and I have said in the past, Marleau would also have to waive his NTC in order to be moved in the first place. I am not sure if the Leafs want to take the chance of being penalized a draft pick or something for one year of gained cap space.

Who would want Marleau back?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
99% Marleau is back next year. The only way he won't come back is due to an injury. LTIR, but i doubt it.

His contract is the best. It puts such a squeeze on the cap, forces AM, MM, KK, AJ to all take reasonable caps. If hes not here you can bet those 4 will eat up the 6M space hes using. And then we would be screwed for years to come, not just next year.

Cap gurus need to find a way to fit everyone next year. The year after we will have most our players signed and with the cap going up and Patty off the books we will have about $10M in cap space.

What's stopping the team from signing all those players and then trading Marleau?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Maybe look up how much Marleau is owed next year in real money after Jul. 1, and tell the class what his cap hit is before continuing to claim a grape seed is an orange.

You don't retain cap hit you retain salary.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017

So what happens if Matthews or Marner holds out on us then?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
OMG why would he waive it to go to OTTAWA when he can stay here in a cup contending team????

Maybe check out his contract details and get back to us. Oh wait, I'm trying to speak sense to someong who uses OMG. Never mind.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Uhm because Toronto is the one retaining the salary for Kessel. You just proved my point.

How come that $1.2 mil is counted against Toronto's cap genius. According to you cap isn't retained, only salary, so how is that possible?

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
Pay Matthews & Marner 2 million/year and give them shares in MLSE. Now this is illegal but they can make it work.

First: have Marner and Matthews each set up numbered corporations in Canada

Next: transfer shares to the corporations

Then: have them send money to off shore accounts in Switzerland or the Bahamas

Finally: leafs have cups, and Matthews and Marner are happy. Nobody knows Matthews and Marner own the corporations

... Just realized Lou left the team... may need a new plan.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Every perennial good team has to balance the cap. The Leafs issues get far overblown.

Leafs won't have an issue with bonus overages. The 5.4M potential carryover figure includes 850K to Ozi & 850K to Lindholm which neither of them will be collecting on.

This summer:

1. Horton can be dealt as he's owed 3.6M in real dollars (5.3 cap hit). Probably will cost something along the line of either Brown or a 2nd and a 3rd/4th to unload him. See Steve Mason & Brooks Orpik who were dealt then immediately bought out this past off-season or us taking on Brooks Laich. Not ideal to give up assets but to unload a contract but also not the end of the world.

2. Marleau: only owed 1.25M after collecting his signing bonus on July 1st. If he decides to retires that wouldn't be a hard contract to deal to a team like the Coyotes or Sens who need to hit the cap floor.

3. Brown: still has decent value even though he's been passed on the Leafs depth chart.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
35+ contract. Cap hit counts no matter what.

Robidas island would be an option. But Doubtful

Well Robidas island doesn’t do anything. He’s still a useful player but his contract is too high of a cap hit. Putting him out to pasture for no cap relief is useless.

Maybe they could challenge the language of the CBA, and buy him out. Cap friendly alludes to that in their FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino