Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Again I'm talking about next year. The kiddie training is over. The kiddies are now getting paid and running the show. Maddy a future HOFer can't do it anymore. He is a pro and he gets worked over on the training table between the 1st and 2nd and then in the ice tub for the 2nd intermission. I get all of that. But net result is we get max 4 decent shifts a game now. Next year maybe we get 1 or 2. I mean common father time has arrived. Time to pack it in.

It's not just about him though. It's a chemistry thing.

If I think having Marleau here makes Matthews and Marner just a little more motivated to help win him a Cup then I absolutely want him on my roster.

We can laugh at it...but millionaire athletes need some extra motivation to push themselves over the top at times. I can see them all being willing to sacrifice a little extra if it means they can hand him a Cup at center ice.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It would be $4.25 real money at 2/3 or about $2.85 million for a $6.25 cap hit.

My comment about him wanting to retire to Arizona was tongue in cheek. The NHL can't control what he does if he wants to end up back in Toronto. All they can control is that the conspiracy to do so wasn't done officially and above board as THAT would make it illegal.

But if he agreed to go somewhere and is bought out and is still a UFA looking for a home in early September the NHL won't stop him from coming to camp on a PTO.

Tough to know with absolute certainty if Orpik had any other NHL interest beyond the Caps when he re-signed (though likely not since he was previously bought out, or at least there was none at his previous cap hit). I'd hope the NHL wouldn't object in the event the Leafs were the only team interested in UFA Marleau.

Marleau's NMC is the sticking point here. There's also that the Caps traded Grubauer to Colorado along with Orpik. He would've been expendable to the Caps but he should be the starting goalie for the Avs soon enough. Don't know what the equivalent asset attached to Marleau would have to be. Still hoping he rebounds well enough that it isn't something Dubas would have to even think about.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Tighten the purse strings or tighten the chin strap, cap should stay in place either way. :sarcasm:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Look we got 5 guys on team that play with piss and vinegar - Muzzin Kadri Hyman Kappy and Dermott. Every once in a blue moon Brown decides he will. We can't lose those guys we are already short on them to begin with. Skill alone only carries you so far. Skill can get pushed around and intimidated.

Reactions: Ports

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
In the unlikely occurrence that the Leafs and Marleau go through with this charade,
Doesn't he have to be bought out before the bonuses are paid?
That's a lot of coin for a team like the Coyotes to pay out.

Marleau can retire anywhere he wants once he's done playing, he doesn't need to be traded there first.
His kids are involved in the GTHL so he is probably happy to stay here anyway.

Yes the buy out period ends June 30th so Marleau would have to be traded before July 1st and before his 3 million dollar bonus is paid by the Leafs. As was discussed on the mainboard a couple of months ago it would cost the other team 3.8 million in real dollars to buy Marleau out.

It would likely cost the Leafs a fairly substantial asset added to Marleau to get another team pay out 3.8m dollars to do this for them.

81Leafs50

May 14, 2010
Toronto
Marleau is extremely trade-able.

Because his contract is a 35+ contract his cap hit stays with his team no matter what. BUT, his buyout is $416,667. So if a team trades for Marleau he can be bought out for 400k but his team can keep his cap hit (coyotes,sens).

Then the Leafs could theoretically sign him as a UFA for a very low number to save money.

EDIT: Marleau's base salary is $1.25 mill, it would be a savings of $833,333 if he is bought out. He also has a Bonus of $3,000,000 left.

Reactions: Lebanese Leaf

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Aren't we setup so those bonuses get paid out against this year's cap?

Only if Leafs leave enough cap space at end of season to absorb them, or they get carry-forward as penalties in 2019-20.

Last year Leafs didn't have enough space and so this year's cap has a CARRYOVER BONUS OVERAGES penalty = $2,550,000

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017

Because his contract is a 35+ contract his cap hit stays with his team no matter what. BUT, his buyout is $416,667. So if a team trades for Marleau he can be bought out for 400k but his team can keep his cap hit (coyotes,sens).

Then the Leafs could theoretically sign him as a UFA for a very low number to save money.

The buyout window closes before his bonus is paid out. Any team trading for him to buy him out has to pay the bonus.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Yes the buy out period ends June 30th so Marleau would have to be traded before July 1st and before his 3 million dollar bonus is paid by the Leafs. As was discussed on the mainboard a couple of months ago it would cost the other team 3.8 million in real dollars to buy Marleau out.

It would likely cost the Leafs a fairly substantial asset added to Marleau to get another team pay out 3.8m dollars to do this for them.

From CapFriendly, FYI.
Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
From CapFriendly, FYI.
Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

Yes I'm fully aware of the 2nd buy out window if the team as an arbitration case. Does that apply to the Leafs this summer though? Are there any potential arbitration cases for the Leafs this summer?

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Yes I'm fully aware of the 2nd buy out window if the team as an arbitration case. Does that apply to the Leafs this summer though? Are there any potential arbitration cases for the Leafs this summer?

I think Goat has Arb rights this summer.

There is NO chance the league is going to let the leafs cap circumvent by buying out Marleau because Goat gets awarded 200k more in arbitration.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

Johnsson, Ozzy and Sparks are arbitration eligible this coming summer. What makes you think I am referring to Toronto doing the buying out? as is well established, Toronto gains nothing by buying Marleau out.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017

There is NO chance the league is going to let the leafs cap circumvent by buying out Marleau because Goat gets awarded 200k more in arbitration.

Why has everybody here forgotten that there is no cap relief if Toronto buys Marleau out? The buyout of Marleau would be done by a cap floor team that Toronto trades him to.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton

EDIT: Marleau's base salary is $1.25 mill, it would be a savings of $833,333 if he is bought out. He also has a Bonus of $3,000,000 left.

Buyout would be 2/3 of the remaining $4.25 or about $2.83 in real cash as it has to happen before June 30.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
This was tight but I think I over payed some guys anyways
Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 5.33.21 PM.png

Reactions: SprDaVE

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015

I believe Gauthier is signed through next season. I'm expecting him to remain 4C and thinking Lindholm probably isn't going to be re-signed.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Why has everybody here forgotten that there is no cap relief if Toronto buys Marleau out? The buyout of Marleau would be done by a cap floor team that Toronto trades him to.

Because a team trading for and buying out Marleau has to pay him his bonus

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Matthews. 11
Tavares. 11
Marner. 9
Nylander. 7
Marleau. 6.25
Kadri. 4.5
Hyman. 2.25
Kappy. 2.75
Jonny. 1.75
Moore. .75
Goat. .65

Rielly. 5
Zaitsev. 4.5
Muzz. 4
Dermott. 1
Rosen. .75

Goalies and. Kessel are 7.

That’s about 78 million for a lineup of

Marleau. Matthews. Nylander
Hyman. Tavares. Marner
Johnny. Kadri. Kappy
Moore. Goat

Rielly. Muzz
Dermott. Zaitsev
Rosen.

That leaves 5 mill. Figure 1.5 max to fill out forwards. 3.5 ish for D. Next year might be a step back on D but then we will have cap room again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->