Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Love Dem Leafs

Jul 4, 2018
So I was thinking, I like the Muzzin trade, we needed a Dman but what does next year look like now? It was already tight to fit everyone in before we traded for a 4M+ Dman,

I have attached something for you to look at, do you agree someone else needs to go?

1. League allows for teams to have 20-23 players on its roster. Next year, we may need to have only 21. That saves a little $.
2. Can we get both Matthews and Marner for under 20 M combined?
3. Can we get Kapanen and Johnson for under 5M?

Already we know there is no money to keep Gardiner or Hainsey, so cheap rookies or veterans will have to take their places.

I am thinking Zaitsev or Johnsson or brown may also need to go and replaced with a cheaper option.

Next year is going to be so tight. There are basically 5 spots we need to fill outlined below in white.

Leaf Salaries.png
Leaf Salaries.png

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Moore replacing Brown will be ~1.4M savings. Whoever replaces Moore will bring that savings to ~800k.

Zaitsev is the big question mark. Ideally he's traded for little to no cap space back and he's replaced with maybe a ~2-3M defenseman, which will be a good 2M or so in cap space saved. This is easier said than done though... so Dubas will need to be on his game.

It really depend on what Matthews and Marner sign for. Most expect maxed out cap hits for both but it's possible they sign for less than expected... we'll see. I'm not overly worried about the contracts for Kapanen and Johnsson will sign for as they will 99% be on bridge deals. At the worst, the Leafs may have to trade Kapanen or Johnsson, but again we'll see.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Something that is often neglected to be taken into account for are Leafs carryover bonus penalties.

Currently the Leafs are looking at potentially as much as ...

POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES [The sum of performance bonuses obtainable by players currently listed on the active roster] $5,400,000

Last edited:
Reactions: AreBe

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
Strip it to the bones. A flying gas tank.

(Kadri will need to be sacrificed as well)

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Something that is often neglect to account for are Leafs carryover bonus penalties.

Currently the Leafs are looking at potentially as much as ...

POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES [The sum of performance bonuses obtainable by players currently listed on the active roster] $5,400,000

Right now they won't carry over bonuses into next years cap, per Mirtle. Some conditions won't be met (like All-star game for Marner, etc).

They are close though. They can't bring in anyone unless cap goes the other way.

Reactions: Liminality and kb

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marleau and Z are the 2 big problems on the CAP... one or both have to go
Brown and Johnsson both a little overpaid too ... one or both have to go
Matty and Marner are both too low unless they are shorter term deals
But your point is well made we are going to be a CAP team next season you can bank on that one

leafsrule123

Apr 28, 2010
Castleton
One of Zaitsev, Kadri, Nylander as well as Brown will have to go to make room. Everyone needs to stop worrying enjoy the now moment, when was the last time we loaded up for a cup run? Nobody seems to be enjoying it they are more worried about next seasons cap lol Dubas is smart I’m sure he has it all planned out.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Moore replacing Brown will be ~1.4M savings. Whoever replaces Moore will bring that savings to ~800k.

Zaitsev is the big question mark. Ideally he's traded for little to no cap space back and he's replaced with maybe a ~2-3M defenseman, which will be a good 2M or so in cap space saved. This is easier said than done though... so Dubas will need to be on his game.

It really depend on what Matthews and Marner sign for. Most expect maxed out cap hits for both but it's possible they sign for less than expected... we'll see. I'm not overly worried about the contracts for Kapanen and Johnsson will sign for as they will 99% be on bridge deals. At the worst, the Leafs may have to trade Kapanen or Johnsson, but again we'll see.

Or Nylander. But I don't think they do
AJ I could see

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Brown HAS to be traded. A 4th line of Bracco-Gauthier-Moore would be solid and cheap.

Really hoping the leafs pull off the Marleau trade, buy out and re-sign (similar to what the Caps did with Orpik)

Agreed on Brown.

Used to think the same about Marleau but someone here pointed out that the buyout window closes middle of June, where Marleau's bonus is paid out July 1.

Meaning it's not reasonable to Orpik him since the other team is going to have to actually pay the bonus as a part of any buyout. Bummer.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I suspect Dubas is going to try and move Zaitsev before July 1st to give the team more flexibility. Or if

If they want they can also force Kapanen and Johnsson into taking cheap short term contracts of not much more than 5-5.5 in total for the pair of them.

And if worst comes to worst they’ll move Brown.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Agreed on Brown.

Used to think the same about Marleau but someone here pointed out that the buyout window closes middle of June, where Marleau's bonus is paid out July 1.

Meaning it's not reasonable to Orpik him since the other team is going to have to actually pay the bonus as a part of any buyout. Bummer.

It wouldn't matter on Marleau anyway. You can't plan a trade/buyout and resign. It is cap circumvention. The Caps were investigated about Orpik and in their case, it was just a coincidence. You can bet the League has already warned teams about trying this and will be all over a team if it happens

Reactions: AreBe and Kazparov

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It wouldn't matter on Marleau anyway. You can't plan a trade/buyout and resign. It is cap circumvention. The Caps were investigated about Orpik and in their case, it was just a coincidence. You can bet the League has already warned teams about trying this and will be all over a team if it happens
Lets be straight up honest here. What the CAPS did was complete BS but no one can prove intent so it flies. Coincidence???? really??? I don't think so.

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
Ideal scenario you trade him for a buyout purpose like Orpik, then he signs for cheapish in San Jose so he can retire a shark.

It's up to Marleau if he wants to go back to San Jose for more money or not. I think he would.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Ideal scenario you trade him for a buyout purpose like Orpik, then he signs for cheapish in San Jose so he can retire a shark.

It's up to Marleau if he wants to go back to San Jose for more money or not. I think he would.

Just trade him to the Sharks with retention for just an AHL fodder player or something. Let him retire as a Shark and nobody gets hurt in the process. It's not the full 6M in savings but the Leafs could use that 3-4M in cap savings. It would cover Kapanen's salary bump.

RLF

May 5, 2014
Lets be straight up honest here. What the CAPS did was complete BS but no one can prove intent so it flies. Coincidence???? really??? I don't think so.

It may have been. The Caps did not just sign him right away. He was a Free agent for weeks free to pursue other offers if IIRC. Regardless of what is believed, the point is, if someone else tries the same thing, the NHL will not be so kind as they were to the Caps.

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Is there any relief available from the Horton contract?
Maybe Muzzin is a one and done and gets traded? Recoup the assets.
I think Nylander is the dumbest thing that Dubas has done. Love to get draft picks and prospects for him in the off season. Hope he finishes strong.

RLF

May 5, 2014

Maybe how it works. And there would be no issue as he is not re-signing with the Leafs.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Give Marleau back to the Sharks for nothing after the July 1st bonuses are paid out and give Zaitsev away along with pics/prospects. If needed trade Brown and promote a 700K marlie. Mission accomplished.

Reactions: Ports
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad