Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Johnsson, Ozzy and Sparks are arbitration eligible this coming summer. What makes you think I am referring to Toronto doing the buying out?

That's true. So the Leafs would need to find a team to move Marleau to who as an upcoming arbitration case and the potential arbitration ruling then putting that team over the cap. That would then enable the other team to buy out Marleau so they can become cap compliant following the arbitration case.

That seems like an even bigger long shot than someone trading for Marleau and paying 3.8m to buy him out before July 1st to me.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Because a team trading for and buying out Marleau has to pay him his bonus

No they don't. They could trade for him after July 1st and buy him out during their second buyout phase, should they have one. Or, they could merely trade him while retaining 50% of his cap to another team. Regardless, his cap hit and minimal real money cost would be attractive to a capfloor team. Ottawa for instance. I'm sure Melnyk would find such an acquisition attractive.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
That's true. So the Leafs would need to find a team to move Marleau to who as an upcoming arbitration case and the potential arbitration ruling then putting that team over the cap. That would then enable the other team to buy out Marleau so they can become cap compliant following the arbitration case.

That seems like an even bigger long shot than someone trading for Marleau and paying 3.8m to buy him out before July 1st to me.

Honestly, the whole buy out thing is silly. It would just be easier to find a capfloor team with a cheapskate owner to take him, and then trade him wherever he wants to go while retaining max cap. So perhaps SJ gets him for $3 mil, and a team like Ottawa ends up with a couple cheap prospects and makes the floor.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
No they don't. They could trade for him after July 1st and buy him out during their second buyout phase, should they have one. Or, they could merely trade him while retaining 50% of his cap to another team. Regardless, his cap hit and minimal real money cost would be attractive to a capfloor team. Ottawa for instance. I'm sure Melnyk would find such an acquisition attractive.

That cant happen.

I believe to utilize the 2nd buyout window the player needs to be on your reserve list as of the trade deadline.

You can trade him before July 1 and have him bought out. Cant happen after, though.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Something that is often neglected to be taken into account for are Leafs carryover bonus penalties.

Currently the Leafs are looking at potentially as much as ...

POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES [The sum of performance bonuses obtainable by players currently listed on the active roster] $5,400,000

Yeah, I read that today too. Potentially a major consideration.

May have to move a vet at a depth position for relief and prospects. Most teams go through this as stars come off ELCs

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
That cant happen.

I believe to utilize the 2nd buyout window the player needs to be on your reserve list as of the trade deadline.

You can trade him before July 1 and have him bought out. Cant happen after, though.

He is also 35+ which means there's no cap relief anyways. Leafs can't buy him out period

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Buyout would be 2/3 of the remaining $4.25 or about $2.83 in real cash as it has to happen before June 30.

$3.83m in real cash.

He gets 100% of the $3m signing bonus, and 2/3rds of the $1.25m salary. Which makes it pretty clear a team like Arizona isn't going to burn that kind of money.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Nope. That's not allowed.

During the 2nd buyout window following arbitration you can only buyout players that were on your team since the most recent trade deadline.

Reactions: Kazparov

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Nope. That's not allowed.

During the 2nd buyout window following arbitration you can only buyout players that were on your team since the most recent trade deadline.

Fine. Then a team like Ottawa just trades him to the contender of his choice, say SJ, for a prospect and retains 50%. Everybody wins.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Get used to the cap fluctuations because they will be there every year in the coming years of contention with a solid development program at the Marlies.

Marleau goes off the books the same year as Muzzin so Marleau goes Muzzin stays and the defense gets built up effectively over a period while our picks develop.

Thats the name of the game for every talented contending team. Manage the cap,draft well, deveop well and manage assets well and you might win a cup or two.

No different for any contender. Ahhh just roll with it and enjoy the trying to win.

I don't even worry about cap management with the quality of our management team.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Something that is often neglected to be taken into account for are Leafs carryover bonus penalties.

POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES [The sum of performance bonuses obtainable by players currently listed on the active roster] $5,400,000
It's not happening. No bonus overages will happen, and don't even try to say that it could happen, because it won't happen with this regime in charge, specifically Pridham. Lindholm and Ozighanov won't get theirs, so it's only $3.7 million even if they have to demote them to avoid any bonus, they will. Leafs have it covered.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Fine. Then a team like Ottawa just trades him to the contender of his choice, say SJ, for a prospect and retains 50%. Everybody wins.

Ottawa for sure isn't retaining 50%, just give that money to Dzingel or one of their UFA's

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Give Marleau back to the Sharks for nothing after the July 1st bonuses are paid out and give Zaitsev away along with pics/prospects. If needed trade Brown and promote a 700K marlie. Mission accomplished.
Unless the Sharks let Karlsson just walk, this isn't happening. They are in no better position cap wise than the Leafs.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Get used to the cap fluctuations because they will be there every year in the coming years of contention with a solid development program at the Marlies.

Marleau goes off the books the same year as Muzzin so Marleau goes Muzzin stays and the defense gets built up effectively over a period while our picks develop.

Thats the name of the game for every talented contending team. Manage the cap,draft well, deveop well and manage assets well and you might win a cup or two.

No different for any contender. Ahhh just roll with it and enjoy the trying to win.

I don't even worry about cap management with the quality of our management team.
Agreed, if there's one thing the team we have should be able to do, its make numbers work.

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto

We already know that the number wont be that big because not everyone has hit their all their bonuses.

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB
They could easily have a handshake agreement with Marleau that he retires after his bonus is paid out.

And anyways, Dubas clearly had a plan from day one as they signed Tavares after proving to him that this would all work under the salary cap with no “subtractions”.

So whatever it is they came up with, I’m sure has contingency plans for the contingency plans.

I find it fun to wonder at, but at the end of the day it is clearly not an issue.

They could also bridge Matthews and Marner is they need to and get past the Marleau contract that way.

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
www.selltradememorabilia.com
Dubas has been managing this entire season around those overages...this isn't new news to most.

Our guys know how to manage the cap.
So when they trade Kap or Kadri you'll be echoing this tune. Say something factual or go away. Dont pretend to know what you dont. The numbers dont add up, players will be gone.. they wanted Nylander at 6, he got higher. I like Dubas but even he has no clue how this all plays out

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
Matthews. 11
Tavares. 11
Marner. 9
Nylander. 7
Marleau. 6.25
Kadri. 4.5
Hyman. 2.25
Kappy. 2.75
Jonny. 1.75
Moore. .75
Goat. .65

Rielly. 5
Zaitsev. 4.5
Muzz. 4
Dermott. 1
Rosen. .75

Goalies and. Kessel are 7.

That’s about 78 million for a lineup of

Marleau. Matthews. Nylander
Hyman. Tavares. Marner
Johnny. Kadri. Kappy
Moore. Goat

Rielly. Muzz
Dermott. Zaitsev
Rosen.

That leaves 5 mill. Figure 1.5 max to fill out forwards. 3.5 ish for D. Next year might be a step back on D but then we will have cap room again
Your forgetting potential bonus overages

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
They could easily have a handshake agreement with Marleau that he retires after his bonus is paid out.

And anyways, Dubas clearly had a plan from day one as they signed Tavares after proving to him that this would all work under the salary cap with no “subtractions”.

So whatever it is they came up with, I’m sure has contingency plans for the contingency plans.

I find it fun to wonder at, but at the end of the day it is clearly not an issue.

They could also bridge Matthews and Marner is they need to and get past the Marleau contract that way.

35+ contract. Cap hit counts no matter what.

Robidas island would be an option. But Doubtful

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Your forgetting potential bonus overages

For next year? That doesn't count.... unless they go over this year. Which I dont believe they will. Lindholm and Oz are not making the bonuses (I forget what they are, but they went over them on leafs lunch and I don't believe it is even remotely realistic). We will have about 3.5 in bonuses to pay probably.... Not 5.4

The year after, I mean they may have some push to 2020. But thats when Patty/connor etc go off the books.

It is tight, but they are fine. Gardiner is gone, which isnt ideal to lose him for nothing, but Muzz is a better fit. Worst case, We have to run next season with

Rielly Muzzin
Dermott Zaitsev
Rosen.....Oz

Which is a dip, but could get a FA deadline deal with retention for the playoffs? or try to pay for a pysk?

selltrade

Sep 20, 2005
Toronto
For next year? That doesn't count.... unless they go over this year. Which I dont believe they will. Lindholm and Oz are not making the bonuses (I forget what they are, but they went over them on leafs lunch and I don't believe it is even remotely realistic). We will have about 3.5 in bonuses to pay probably.... Not 5.4

The year after, I mean they may have some push to 2020. But thats when Patty/connor etc go off the books.

It is tight, but they are fine. Gardiner is gone, which isnt ideal to lose him for nothing, but Muzz is a better fit. Worst case, We have to run next season with

Rielly Muzzin
Dermott Zaitsev
Rosen.....Oz

Which is a dip, but could get a FA deadline deal with retention for the playoffs? or try to pay for a pysk?
as zeke said earlier Zaitsev going away would be ideal, Pysk would be ok, still think Borgman might be around next yr

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad