Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 10.21.54 PM.png

Moving out Brown and Zaitsev adds more roster flexibility as well.

Kazparov

Jan 2, 2017
Well Robidas island doesn’t do anything. He’s still a useful player but his contract is too high of a cap hit. Putting him out to pasture for no cap relief is useless.

Maybe they could challenge the language of the CBA, and buy him out. Cap friendly alludes to that in their FAQ.

Sorry I meant LTIR Robidas island. Like fake an injury. Doesn't seem likely though

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I don't think moving out guys like Brown is the answer. Leafs need bigger relief such Nylander or Kadri to be traded.
And really Zaitsev isn't really moveable. Marleau's just might retire, if he feels he no longer NHL good anymore. IMO he looks like he shouldn't be an NHLer very soon, his decline has been rapid. He would be an easy trade if he retires.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
Something that is often neglected to be taken into account for are Leafs carryover bonus penalties.

Currently the Leafs are looking at potentially as much as ...

POTENTIAL PERFORMANCE BONUSES [The sum of performance bonuses obtainable by players currently listed on the active roster] $5,400,000

They only carry over if they put us over the cap this year.

Reactions: kb

Not My Tempo

Feb 22, 2015
Toronto
I honestly can’t believe we gave a 38 years old 6+ Million a year for 3 years. It’s only the second year and most even strength metrics point to him being a fringe NHLer currently

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
I honestly can’t believe we gave a 38 years old 6+ Million a year for 3 years. It’s only the second year and most even strength metrics point to him being a fringe NHLer currently
And that's Lou, who people claim we should have kept instead of Dubas. Lou is what, 77 years-old?

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
So I was thinking, I like the Muzzin trade, we needed a Dman but what does next year look like now? It was already tight to fit everyone in before we traded for a 4M+ Dman,

I have attached something for you to look at, do you agree someone else needs to go?

1. League allows for teams to have 20-23 players on its roster. Next year, we may need to have only 21. That saves a little $.
2. Can we get both Matthews and Marner for under 20 M combined?
3. Can we get Kapanen and Johnson for under 5M?

Already we know there is no money to keep Gardiner or Hainsey, so cheap rookies or veterans will have to take their places.

I am thinking Zaitsev or Johnsson or brown may also need to go and replaced with a cheaper option.

Next year is going to be so tight. There are basically 5 spots we need to fill outlined below in white.

View attachment 180733 View attachment 180733

Where is your 5.3m Horton ltir space????

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
All the doom and gloom from posters whi think they are capologist gurus

Let the man who invented the cap work his magic

If any poster thinks dubas and pridham are too stupid to prepare for the next years cap
Then i dont know what to tell you

Relax and enjoy the ride it shoukd be fun

ya well ,,no offence but after seeing "our experts" get curb stomped by Melander, i have lost a ton of faith with them in that department.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
View attachment 180907

Moving out Brown and Zaitsev adds more roster flexibility as well.

We need to send Marleau to Robidas Island for the greater good. He is done and he should know it. There is nothing left for him to play for, and we need that cap space desperately next year. Dump Marleau + Brown for elc players, and we can keep Gardiner/have space for another top 4/top pair. I'd also want Zaitsev gone but obviously no one wants him.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012

He is only getting 1 million in real dollars and should know hes done.

I see no reason for him to refuse Robidas island, and we desperately need him to go there.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
9m for your top pair.
5m for your starting goalie.

You should be smiling if you are in this situation for the next two years.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
-Kadri
-Brown
-Hainsey
-Zaitsev

Can all be replaced by less expensive players without hurting the core of this team.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I disagree that there is a way to do that with him on a $6.25mil cap hit and declining skill in the first year our big 3 are all off of their ELC's.

If Marleau is back @ $6.25 mil then one of our top 8 or so players isn't here.

You’re way too strict on your take of what a cup winning team looks like. Yes you can have a $6.25m Marleau, it’s ok, all the roster values don’t have to be absolutely perfect. Everyone has overpaid players.

We’re really just talking about swapping out Connor brown for Trevor Moore or something of that nature. That’s not the difference between cup and no cup.

Last edited:

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010
Find a guy who has an uninsured contract on the IR ling term.
Trade Zaitsev for him.

Clarkson for Horton round 2.
Trade Marleau on July 2nd( + a mid round pick+ ok prospect) after he is paid to like Arizona for nothing.

Sign Jensen for 2ish million for 2 years.

Rielly Muzzin
Dermott Jensen
Rosen oziganov

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Melander for Pesce and a 2nd.

Send him to Sticksville and see how he likes his endorsements and playing in front of 10k fans there.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
They only carry over if they put us over the cap this year.

Correct, now the question will be how much free cap space will the Leafs have at the end of the season?

Are the Leafs management counting this potential $5.4 mil bonus and planning for using this years or next years cap to absorb it.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It's not happening. No bonus overages will happen, and don't even try to say that it could happen, because it won't happen with this regime in charge, specifically Pridham. Lindholm and Ozighanov won't get theirs, so it's only $3.7 million even if they have to demote them to avoid any bonus, they will. Leafs have it covered.

Matthews alone has the ability to max out his bonuses at $2.85 mil in his ELC, with the Leafs team reaching $5.4 mil.

Leafs currently have a $2.55 mil carryover penalty this year 2018-19 as part of the Cap by bonus money earned in 2017-18.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Are the Leafs management counting this potential $5.4 mil bonus and planning for using this years or next years cap to absorb it.
3.7 - the odds of either of Lindholm/Oz hitting a schedule A threshold at this point is nill.

We're currently projected to have ~4 million in space at the end of the season

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Find a guy who has an uninsured contract on the IR ling term.
Trade Zaitsev for him.

Clarkson for Horton round 2.
Trade Marleau on July 2nd( + a mid round pick+ ok prospect) after he is paid to like Arizona for nothing.

Sign Jensen for 2ish million for 2 years.

Rielly Muzzin
Dermott Jensen
Rosen oziganov

Who is available? Many I use to be aware of are off the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad