Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
We can't and we are screwed. going to have some dark offseasons going forward. hope u all enjoy seeing any player coming off their ELC leaving for other teams. I know I will hate it.
I love Matthews but I think I'd rather JT/Marner and money to actually build a team.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
We can't and we are screwed. going to have some dark offseasons going forward. hope u all enjoy seeing any player coming off their ELC leaving for other teams. I know I will hate it.
I love Matthews but I think I'd rather JT/Marner and money to actually build a team.
I think maybe Dubas has to go.

That way when other leaf players try saying "If Nylander and Matthews got x for y production, this is what I want", the new gm can just reply "the old gm got fired for those contracts. You're not getting higher than league-wide comparables with ME."

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
I think maybe Dubas has to go.

That way when other leaf players try saying "If Nylander and Matthews got x for y production, this is what I want", the new gm can just reply "the old gm got fired for those contracts. You're not getting higher than league-wide comparables with ME."
Shanny should have kept Lou around for the big signings. I dont have much faith in Dubas anymore. Nylander signing was a mistake. we were playing so good before he came back. since then we have been meh. should have traded for a RHD with Nylander. I dunno I just dont really like Nylander much after his holdout.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
I had just posted 2 a few posts prior. One was from a player of the same age, who currently has 23 goals and 40 points, and signed for 2.5x3 last month.
Vatrano signed for 3 years @ 2.53. That's a better contract than 4 years @ 2.5.
Kase signed for 3 years @ 2.6. That's a better contract than 4 years @ 2.5. Kase's contract also starts a year earlier (matters because of inflation) plus he's a year younger to boot.

If AJ was indeed offered 4x2.5, that's not far from the two examples you gave, but it's not quite as good as them either.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
Vatrano signed for 3 years @ 2.53. That's a better contract than 4 years @ 2.5.
Kase signed for 3 years @ 2.6. That's a better contract than 4 years @ 2.5. Kase's contract also starts a year earlier (matters because of inflation) plus he's a year younger to boot.

If AJ was indeed offered 4x2.5, that's not far from the two examples you gave, but it's not quite as good as them either.
Kase proving himself a year younger means he gets more money, not less. Kase is a fair comparable.
That being said, I'm fine with the Votrano contract for Johnsson. It's the closest comparable. Even a penny more is Dubas overpaying, yet again.

MeowLeafs

LM is awesome
Oct 20, 2008
Baconland
Kase proving himself a year younger means he gets more money, not less. Kase is a fair comparable.
That being said, I'm fine with the Votrano contract for Johnsson. It's the closest comparable. Even a penny more is Dubas overpaying, yet again.
I'm fine with either of their contracts, I just think neither 2x2.1 or 4x2.5 are as good as them.

Throw More Waffles

Oct 9, 2015
I'm fine with either of their contracts, I just think neither 2x2.1 or 4x2.5 are as good as them.
I look around the league and see so many players under good contracts. Yet with the leafs, it seems to be the negotiation starts at market value, and can only go up from there. I was hoping Dubas would be able to get some of these players at a good deal. Apparently not.

Tell me... if Johnsson scored 60 points last year, and was on a 80 point pace this year, how much do you think Dubas would give him over 5 years? Just an estimate. (Keep in mind those numbers are far better than Nylanders).

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I look around the league and see so many players under good contracts. Yet with the leafs, it seems to be the negotiation starts at market value, and can only go up from there. I was hoping Dubas would be able to get some of these players at a good deal. Apparently not.

Tell me... if Johnsson scored 60 points last year, and was on a 80 point pace this year, how much do you think Dubas would give him over 5 years? Just an estimate. (Keep in mind those numbers are far better than Nylanders).
This is coming out late in media like usual. Trust me on this one Johnsson and Z are getting traded in summer to free up CAP space. The only guy who likes Z is Babs. Because Babs recruited him. It is real simple. Don't overthink it. Shanny has his limits. The only thing that could change things is if Babs pulls a miracle and takes this team to ECF. If he does then he will get more slack on this decision.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I get chills running down my spine whenever I put any thought into Leafs salary cap going forward.

Case in point these raises these new raises being handed out.

(Before yesterday's game)

Auston Matthews

2017-18 .. 62 games 34 goals 29 assists 63 points & +25 +/-
2018-19 .. 62 games 35 goals 34 assists 69 points & - 4 +/- (Contract year).

His cap hit goes from $975k to $11.634 mil X 5 years. (2nd highest AAV)

Auston's stats have earned him a +$10.66 mil pay raise that Leafs must now absorb, without getting many UFA years.

Next year our Leafs are going to have the #2 Matthews, #3 Tavares and likely another top 10-12 in Marner highest AAV in the league.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Lastly the CBA needs a clause that allows every team 1 mistake per year. So when a bad mistake is made teams are not saddled for 5-8 years. There should be 1 buyout a year where a team can payout a player and there is nothing counted against the CAP.

I would assume that if you are suggesting that each/all teams can take advantage of the same thing, you are trying to create "equality" in general.

There's a few things that merit consideration given the above principle:
  1. Isn't that what you have now with the current rules? All teams are governed by the same set of rules right now as is without any changes.
  2. Smaller market ($) teams are less likely to give a guy a lucrative contract (especially if there are some questions about said player) because they simply don't have the money (revenue) to do so. So are we not creating a two-tier system or widening the gap between big market/$ and small market/$ teams?
Can a team like ours not succeed with the current rules, the same rules that apply to all other teams? Why do we need to keep bending and changing things to our advantage? Maybe we should just do a better job within the current rules and structure?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Well I think you want GM's to take a risk here and there.
Again my point is Carolina and Zona should not have NHL teams today. I realize they would be impacted but frankly I don't give a flying fiddle about them. If they make everything about appeasing the weak then as a society you get weak. Same holds true in NHL. You get weaker and weaker overall hockey.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
It’s going to be tight there’s no question about it. I’ve messed around on cap friendly a few times to see what’s realistic.

Brown & Zaitsev have to go for sure at the very least, either for picks or low contracts. Brown should be doable but Zaitsev is concerning. I just picked St. Louis who have 2 UFA Dmen.

The Marner, Kapanen & Johnsson contracts are close to what I’d expect.

View attachment 195343
View attachment 195337
View attachment 195339
View attachment 195341

A few points that I believe that are worth considering.

If you use the Hossa trade as a reference for what it might take to rid ourselves of Zaitsev, it took a 3rd plus two roster players as incentives for the Yotes to take on Hossa's contract.

That 2nd & 3rd pairing looks weak & would be a cause for concern.

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia

We're hardly screwed and we were inevitably going to trade depth forwards away when they priced themselves out before the Matthews/Tavares/Nylander deals were signed. Just like Pittsburgh, Chicago, LA, Washington...

It's when you can afford to extend these depth forwards that you know you're screwed.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Well I think you want GM's to take a risk here and there.
Again my point is Carolina and Zona should not have NHL teams today. I realize they would be impacted but frankly I don't give a flying fiddle about them. If they make everything about appeasing the weak then as a society you get weak. Same holds true in NHL. You get weaker and weaker overall hockey.

So, at least you state your motivation now. I guess that's good.

Sounds like your applying broader principles now. Why not give just the rich people and big corporations all of the power then? Why bother with democracies? Just let the dictators & folks with tons of money run everything? I'm sure it will all work out to the benefit of the majority.

Also, it can be interpreted that we can't succeed based on our own skill & competency, & therefore we need rule changes in order for us to succeed.

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Yesterday (think it was on Leaf lunch) heard Leafs were pissed that AJ's agent turned down 2x2.1 and 4x2.5 bridge deals and prefers to wait until the offseason.
If the 2 year deal was 2.5 AAV he should take it. Four years at 2.5 is an insult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->