Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
3.7 - the odds of either of Lindholm/Oz hitting a schedule A threshold at this point is nill.

We're currently projected to have ~4 million in space at the end of the season

So in order to add someone they would have to shed a roster player?

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
So in order to add someone they would have to shed a roster player?

Depends on the player, depends on the contract. We're carrying a full roster, so any player technically means we shed a roster player.

Oversimpified Example- a 50% retained Gudas comes with about 600k of hit for the remainder of the season, Marincin carries 288k. Damn close to covering

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
If they sign:
Matthews 11x5
Marner 10x6 ,
Would they be able to navigate without too much trouble?
Would they be able to make the trades to compete or would they need to stay in a holding pattern for a year?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
AJ will be moved me thinks. Brown too but perhaps not before the deadline. Gardiner, hainsey, Zaitsev all gone
I still think Nylander could be in play

One or two of Nylander, Zaitsev, Marleau have to go.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I know Dubie does not want to go for UFA's but I could see the value in Simmons in a series match-up against Boston. Maybe we wait til closer to TDL and see where standings are at that point.

Also I can't see us having CAP next year for both Kappy and AJ. So why not trade AJ to Flyers for Simmons and their 2nd rounder next year. We get our pick back we just lost in Muzzin trade. Flyers get a good young forward with potential back who can play for them asap.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I know Dubie does not want to go for UFA's but I could see the value in Simmons in a series match-up against Boston. Maybe we wait til closer to TDL and see where standings are at that point.

Also I can't see us having CAP next year for both Kappy and AJ. So why not trade AJ to Flyers for Simmons and their 2nd rounder next year. We get our pick back we just lost in Muzzin trade. Flyers get a good young forward with potential back who can play for them asap.

Nashville, Boston, TB (I assume) and the Leafs are all looking for a guy like Simmonds. Pretty good market.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
TB and Habs I can see it for sure. But Nashville and Boston already have what Simmons can bring to their line-up. But I still think Dubie will have a very hard time going for a UFA with what he has said publicly that is why a pick is needed. It would be much easier for him to call up Marchment for Bruins series. Of course not as good but on 4th line i wonder how much value it really brings. That said I still worry about Bruins manhandling us down low. Hyman is a great soldier and our best player last playoffs but he is not enough. Simmons scares people. Everyone knows he is a little crazy and plays on edge. It might in its own way temper down a guy like Miller from doubling down on a weaker Leaf. Because he knows if he mangles Tavares that Simmons will be there next time he is on the ice. Sometimes it is the Shanny factor that controls a series. Shanny played a similar role chip in the odd playoff goal but just him being on the ice made guys think about ****king with Stevie Y or Fedorov.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
TB and Habs I can see it for sure. But Nashville and Boston already have what Simmons can bring to their line-up. But I still think Dubie will have a very hard time going for a UFA with what he has said publicly that is why a pick is needed. It would be much easier for him to call up Marchment for Bruins series. Of course not as good but on 4th line i wonder how much value it really brings. That said I still worry about Bruins manhandling us down low. Hyman is a great soldier and our best player last playoffs but he is not enough. Simmons scares people. Everyone knows he is a little crazy and plays on edge. It might in its own way temper down a guy like Miller from doubling down on a weaker Leaf. Because he knows if he mangles Tavares that Simmons will be there next time he is on the ice. Sometimes it is the Shanny factor that controls a series. Shanny played a similar role chip in the odd playoff goal but just him being on the ice made guys think about ****king with Stevie Y or Fedorov.

I think Boston will obviously be looking for a scoring forward but I think they also want a little more grit if they can get it.
Either way, there is a good market for rentals like Ferland and Simmonds.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
ya well ,,no offence but after seeing "our experts" get curb stomped by Melander, i have lost a ton of faith with them in that department.
Management was in the 6-6.5 range Nylander wanted 8-8.5 they settled at 7, how is that “getting curb stomped?” Sounds like a negotiation where both sides made concessions and met somewhere in the middle (closer to Leaf numbers than Nylanders in the end)

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
He’s barely top 12 quality now, what makes anyone think he’ll be that or more come next year?
If he’s simply not one of our best 12 forwards he shouldn’t play.
I don't think anyone expects him to better next year, more likely worse.
Not sure what your reply has to do with my post.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
Management was in the 6-6.5 range Nylander wanted 8-8.5 they settled at 7, how is that “getting curb stomped?” Sounds like a negotiation where both sides made concessions and met somewhere in the middle (closer to Leaf numbers than Nylanders in the end)

Especially when many agreed $7mil on an aav was a realistic ending assuming a 6 or 7 year term.

Want to know who got curb stomped? Go look at Edmonton's payroll.

Reactions: The Big D

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
I don't think anyone expects him to better next year, more likely worse.
Not sure what your reply has to do with my post.
You mentioned that you don’t see management treating marleau like that. My point is like what? A replacement level player who carries far too hefty a cap hit? Cause that’s what he is now.
If Dubas and co decide he’s not one of our best 12 forwards they owe it to the team to make it as uneasy a situation for marleau as possible.
He can sit and have his games played streak come to end while Leaf doctors suggest he has back issues or he can go somewhere else, of his choice of course, that would take him and utilize him. Otherwise it’s ltiretired and a job in the FO afterwards. This team owes it to the other 22 guys in the room to give the best opportunity to win each and every game, not to a 40 year old who was signed by a previous regime

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Especially when many agreed $7mil on an aav was a realistic ending assuming a 6 or 7 year term.

Want to know who got curb stomped? Go look at Edmonton's payroll.
I was of the opinion that anything between 6-7m on a 6-8 year deal was a win for management, it so happened that they had to go to the limits of those parameters so I don’t see it as a clear win, but you don’t get into cap hell by having your star guys make 500k more than you’d like, you get into cap trouble giving out nmc’s to 40 year old on multi year deals and paying your middle and bottom of line up guys too much. A guy who can barely keep up making 6+ or a d man who can’t hit an outlet pass making 4-5m hurt the team more than Nylander getting 7 vs 6.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Options seem to be:

- don’t sign Kapanen
- Gardner gone for nothing
- Hainsey gone for nothing
- trade Kadri
- trade Nylander

Can’t move Andersen as there is no Fuhr/Potvin situation going on.

Pick your poison.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Options seem to be:

- don’t sign Kapanen
- Gardner gone for nothing
- Hainsey gone for nothing
- trade Kadri
- trade Nylander

Can’t move Andersen as there is no Fuhr/Potvin situation going on.

Pick your poison.

I’ll add
Trade Zaitsev
Don’t sign Johnnson

That’s about it.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Assuming 83 million dollar cap
10.5x6 to Matthews
9.5x6 to Marner
3.35x2 to Kapanen
1.5x 1 to Johnsson
Brown traded

It allows us to ice
Kapanen-Tavares-Hyman
Marleau-Matthews-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
xxx-Gauthier-Moore
xxx-xxx

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Rosen-Liljegren
Holl

Andersen
xxx

=80.14 cap
= 2.86 m for Backup, 1x 4thliner, 2x spares. 4 league min players in 4 league min roles. Maybe run a 22 man roster outside of large road trips.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad