Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There's a few cap related issues that need to be worked out:

1) Get over the bad contracts. Obviously there are some inefficiencies with Marleau, Brown, Zaitsev on the books for next year and beyond. The Leafs need to get rid of these so they can assign the cap dollars to Marner and re-sign the host of young players on expiring ELCs.

2) Balance out the cap dollars assigned to the forward group and the defense. The defense looks a little under developed and this needs to be addressed if we want to have more success.

3) Make sure there is enough flexibility that the finishing championship touches can be added in the coming years. The Leafs are locking in the core with precious little wiggle room. They have to make sure they have the ability to add or modify the roster by moving in and out 2 or 3 more big to medium pieces.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
And what concerns me more about all of it is the League once again will have to save the Owners and GMs from themselves...
The greedy players, their greed agents, and, the players union aren't blameless either!

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I've seen many posts over the year on trades for the team to make to help with our current and future roster as well as to deal with the impending 2019-20 cap crunch.

The names thrown out by far the most are Zaitsev, Brown, Nylander, Kadri, Johnsson, and Kappy.

For this, I am completely ignoring Zaitsev, Johnsson, and Kappy.
Zaitsev because his value is so skewed especially on this website it's not worth arguing over. Johnsson and Kappy because under almost every circumstance they are not getting traded.

Which leaves us with two options to clear lots of money.

Nylander (6.96Mx5)

or

Kadri (4.5Mx3) + Brown (2.1Mx1) = 6.6M

Now, let me preface this next part with I am biased in this discussion.

Even though Nylander has more trade value than Kadri and Brown combined, he is also a better player than Kadri and Brown combined. People on this website argue that Nylander would fetch a bigger haul, potentially that top pairing RHD we've been needing. I'd argue that Kadri, given his past offensive success (also finished high in selke voting one year) and contract would be able to fetch a very similar player to any team that is contending. The only difference between the two packages is likely that Nylander would garner a younger D-man in return. Nylander can and currently is taking Kadri's spot as the 3C and Brown can be replaced by either Bracco or Moore, both much cheaper options with higher offensive potential.

Brown can be traded for mid-picks, he's basically in here to even out the salaries as much as possible.

Our biggest problem is that Marleau contract and I hope that it doesn't cost us Willy or Kadri or any other good, young youth.

What I want to know Leaf fans is: Which players would you rather not have on our team in 2019-20

Durrr

Sep 11, 2012
I've seen many posts over the year on trades for the team to make to help with our current and future roster as well as to deal with the impending 2019-20 cap crunch.

The names thrown out by far the most are Zaitsev, Brown, Nylander, Kadri, Johnsson, and Kappy.

For this, I am completely ignoring Zaitsev, Johnsson, and Kappy.
Zaitsev because his value is so skewed especially on this website it's not worth arguing over. Johnsson and Kappy because under almost every circumstance they are not getting traded.

Which leaves us with two options to clear lots of money.

Nylander (6.96Mx5)

or

Kadri (4.5Mx3) + Brown (2.1Mx1) = 6.6M

Now, let me preface this next part with I am biased in this discussion.

Even though Nylander has more trade value than Kadri and Brown combined, he is also a better player than Kadri and Brown combined. People on this website argue that Nylander would fetch a bigger haul, potentially that top pairing RHD we've been needing. I'd argue that Kadri, given his past offensive success (also finished high in selke voting one year) and contract would be able to fetch a very similar player to any team that is contending. The only difference between the two packages is likely that Nylander would garner a younger D-man in return. Nylander can and currently is taking Kadri's spot as the 3C and Brown can be replaced by either Bracco or Moore, both much cheaper options with higher offensive potential.

Brown can be traded for mid-picks, he's basically in here to even out the salaries as much as possible.

Our biggest problem is that Marleau contract and I hope that it doesn't cost us Willy or Kadri or any other good, young youth.

What I want to know Leaf fans is: Which players would you rather not have on our team in 2019-20

Brown is as good as gone, but to the rest of the post, I don't think Nylander or Kadri is going anywhere, but if it had to be one of them it will be Kadri.

Not only is Nylander 5 years younger, but he can be developed into a center if we needed him to be. Furthermore, Dubas has already and shown how significantly they value Nylander going forward. He's not going anywhere.

I still think they will aggressively pursue getting Ziatsev off the books (by paying to do so), and filling his slot with one of Sandin or Lil on their ELC.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Priority removal list:

1) Zaitsev ($4,500,000)
2) Marleau ($6,250,000)
3) Brown ($2,100,000)
4) Hyman ($2,250,000) - Might need to take away his toys altogether.
5) Kadri ($4,500,000) - Put Nylander in his place. Play the top nine 18-20 min avg.

Reactions: 2022 Stanley Cup

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
(PowerForward) Matthews Bracco
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Moore Nylander Kapanen
Marchment Petan/Goat Engvall

Rielly RHD
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen Oz
Lilly/Sandin - First callups

Andersen
Hutch

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The Leafs have figured it out. Behind scenes I am sure everything is fine. Marner will get signed. Probably sign both Kappy and AJ too.

They can go over in summer so no big deal. And they will trade/cut/send down/LTIR and even sign less than 23 guys too.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Really hoping the leafs pull off the Marleau trade, buy out and re-sign (similar to what the Caps did with Orpik)
Its more likely he'll waive to SJ after the bonus payout on July 1st and the leafs will have to retain a portion of the cap (50%) or take a 3m player in return (Justin Braun - #6 RHD - 1yr/3.8m remaining).

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
It’s going to be tight there’s no question about it. I’ve messed around on cap friendly a few times to see what’s realistic.

Brown & Zaitsev have to go for sure at the very least, either for picks or low contracts. Brown should be doable but Zaitsev is concerning. I just picked St. Louis who have 2 UFA Dmen.

The Marner, Kapanen & Johnsson contracts are close to what I’d expect.

Re-signing Hainsey, Sparks & Ennis on affordable deals is to go with known entities to round out a few spots not filled with AHL promotions. Liljegren or Sandin being able to jump up would be great but they won’t be rushing them guaranteed. Would like to keep Oz too, not sure what the RFA deal will look like but he could be in Holl’s spot.

Moving Marleau would help tremendously but is unlikely so I think it will leave us lean on the back end again barring any great moves by management. Better minds are on top of this so I expect something better than this but this is about the most conservative I can GM larp.

0A12580F-0AB6-4186-8028-2D7F39425B7C.jpeg

2DB2C21A-2CF2-4ED8-9C2C-9111FEE6C23E.jpeg

251D2623-AAEC-4DD7-8128-A60D764920BD.jpeg

09A2E1DB-D65C-4F4B-9E73-7114193BC995.jpeg

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Rielly-Dermott
Muzzin-Oz
Rosen-Lily/Holl
Lily/Holl

There are cheap, experienced depth defenders available every year in UFA. I'd go after one of them and leave Holl and our prospects (Sandin/Liljegren) out of it next year. I want to see Sandin/Liljegren get big minutes and big number of games as a top pair in the AHL.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
There are cheap, experienced depth defenders available every year in UFA. I'd go after one of them and leave Holl and our prospects (Sandin/Liljegren) out of it next year. I want to see Sandin/Liljegren get big minutes and big number of games as a top pair in the AHL.
There were rumours that the Leafs were going to give Lily a shot at 3 RD after the trade deadline with Dermott in order to see where he is at. The sprained ankle stopped that idea from happening. Starting with him in the line up is fine. He can always be sent back down but he SHOULD get a shot next year. Excited to see what Dubas does this offseason, so many possibilities.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It’s going to be tight there’s no question about it. I’ve messed around on cap friendly a few times to see what’s realistic.

Brown & Zaitsev have to go for sure at the very least, either for picks or low contracts. Brown should be doable but Zaitsev is concerning. I just picked St. Louis who have 2 UFA Dmen.

The Marner, Kapanen & Johnsson contracts are close to what I’d expect.

Re-signing Hainsey, Sparks & Ennis on affordable deals is to go with known entities to round out a few spots not filled with AHL promotions. Liljegren or Sandin being able to jump up would be great but they won’t be rushing them guaranteed. Would like to keep Oz too, not sure what the RFA deal will look like but he could be in Holl’s spot.

Moving Marleau would help tremendously but is unlikely so I think it will leave us lean on the back end again barring any great moves by management. Better minds are on top of this so I expect something better than this but this is about the most conservative I can GM larp.

View attachment 195341

That's not exactly a defense core that is screaming Cup contender.

Its basically what we have now minus Gardiner and Zaitsev for Cap reasons.

Holl, Rosen as regulars with Muzzin, Rielly, Dermott and the aging Hainsey.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011

I only really take issue with the #4 spot. Can't be Holl. You need a legit top 4 D there. Not just that quality of player though, but also someone with experience.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga

Which is why Lily should at least be tried out next year at the NHL level. Gotta see if it fits at least. If he could be a right side Dermott all of a sudden our defense is arguably the same quality. Highly doubt we resign Hainsey with Dubas at the helm. I'd bet that he wants Muzzin beside Rielly. That's why he traded for him after all.

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga

Which is why Lily should at least be tried out next year at the NHL level. Gotta see if it fits at least. If he could be a right side Dermott all of a sudden our defense is arguably the same quality. Highly doubt we resign Hainsey with Dubas at the helm. I'd bet that he wants Muzzin beside Rielly. That's why he traded for him after all.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I only really take issue with the #4 spot. Can't be Holl. You need a legit top 4 D there. Not just that quality of player though, but also someone with experience.

I think it comes full circle that eventually Leafs are going to have to use Forward cap space and depth at the position to build up the Dcore .. That could be Nylander, Kapanen, Johnson etc that will need to be used as bait and currency in trade to accomplish that..

With all of AM + JT + MM all utilizing double digit cap space, tough decisions will need to be made as to the supporting forward cast as it would be better to build up a strong Dcore to become more Cup competitive. IMO

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX

Never said it was. Nor is the one we have now. This is one that fits under the cap after Matthews, Nylander & presumably Marner gouge us. I expect and want better than this.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Lil with all his injuries has delayed his development.. I don't think he is NHL ready yet, that is why the names Rosen and Borgman are being mentioned as depth and not him.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I got in a discussion over this before but I'll say it again: Johnsson and Kapanen ain't going to cost the Leafs $5.5M next season. Kapanen alone might get that much. It's business in the end. Someone in the league would easily give Kapanen around $5M AAV for 5+ years.

I still don't see how it's out of the realm of possibility that Marleau would agree to be traded then bought out then return at a discount. No rules would be broken doing this. The biggest issue is there aren't as many possible destinations for this type of move with Arizona having bucket loads of dead contracts already. New Jersey? Carolina? Ottawa? New York Rangers?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I think it comes full circle that eventually Leafs are going to have to use Forward cap space and depth at the position to build up the Dcore .. That could be Nylander, Kapanen, Johnson etc that will need to be used as bait and currency in trade to accomplish that..

With all of AM + JT + MM all utilizing double digit cap space, tough decisions will need to be made as to the supporting forward cast as it would be better to build up a strong Dcore to become more Cup competitive. IMO

I agree. The imbalance between forward and defense cap allotments will no doubt in my mind correct themselves somewhat in future.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Never said it was. Nor is the one we have now. This is one that fits under the cap after Matthews, Nylander & presumably Marner gouge us. I expect and want better than this.

Worth keeping in mind our defense right now is arguably better than that of the last 3 cup winners.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad