Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Need Marleau and the Leafs to mutually agree to terminate his contract after July 1, like Plekanec and the Habs did this season.

I might be wrong on this, but I think a one year contract like Plekanec's could be terminated. Don't think the same applies for multi-year deals like Marleau's.

kfox

Dec 23, 2011
About a month ago I heard Chris Johnston speak out of turn on the fan590 saying that Marleau's Toronto house was up for sale. Haven't heard anyone repeat it, but if true, why would he go through the hassle of moving his family with one year to go? I read into it that there's a mutual understanding in place with management that somehow he's gone this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
About a month ago I heard Chris Johnston speak out of turn on the fan590 saying that Marleau's Toronto house was up for sale. Haven't heard anyone repeat it, but if true, why would he go through the hassle of moving his family with one year to go? I read into it that there's a mutual understanding in place with management that somehow he's gone this summer.

Marleau looked pretty gassed last time around this year as well. He's still a viable day to day player but he's really lost a couple of steps since he got here and doesn't seem all that capable of making sustained plays with the puck at a pace anymore. We can't really afford the cap hit of over $6 million on a 40 year old who isn't a good net front presence, not a garbage goal scorer, no shot, no explosive speed. He's basically just little smart chip plays and a big body these days.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Oddly enough, Zaitsev has looked better lately. The cap hit is still quite bad, but at this rate I could see them actually hesitate to move him, or at least can start expecting an asset back the other way.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
What happens to Leafs cap. Well they sign all their RFAs. When they know they are 7m over the cap they trade a player or two. to get cap compliant. IMO its Nylander that should be traded. Also Marleau just might retire. His play has declined considerably. Maybe he knows he isn't going to NHL good next year. Leafs traded his non cash cap hit of 6.25m

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
I too have a feeling Marleau will be walking away from game after this season. After his last bonus payout, he only has 1.25 million left to be paid the rest of the season. He retires, his contract is sold to a team like Arizona that will pay him 1.25 million cause they have cap space, but put the 6.25 million cap hit on their cap to stay above floor. We may send a pick or prospect to them as part of the package.

This along with trading a player like Brown, and Zaitsev makes it that much easier to be under the cap after all the signings and at the same time allows you to improve the D. Getting rid of the 3 for nothing more then prospects and picks gains you 17 million in cap savings.

Plug in Rosen to replace Gardiner in lineup, Moore to replace Brown for under 2 million a season. You still have 15 million in cap space to resign Kapanen, Johnsson and add another dman to lineup. This cap space of course is all on top of what they already had going into the offseason with Gardiner, Hainsey, Ennis, Lindholm off the books (9 million approx.).

Leafs will be perfectly fine, and in a much better position then people think without having to get rid of any of the core.

Reactions: HOF Paul Henderson

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Why would Marleau want his contract terminated?

His main goal for leaving SJ was to win a Stanley Cup before he retires from the game.

I think the 3rd year given and the amount of money paid up front in that 3rd year was part of the gentlemen's agreement they had that Marleau would walk away. It was really a 2 year deal, but to pry him away from SJ they had to add the 3rd year with cap circumvention possibility. This may also mean that he doesn't retire but hits Robidas island, and we place his contract cap hit on injured reserve.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Why would Marleau want his contract terminated?

His main goal for leaving SJ was to win a Stanley Cup before he retires from the game.
I doubt he wants to be an expensive passenger/burden though. If he can’t be a contributing factor, I believe he’ll retire. The contract is set up that way imo. He signed that contract for this season to be his cup shot.

Last edited:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I doubt he wants to be an expensive passenger though. If he can’t be a contributing factor, I believe he’ll retire. The contract is set up that way imo. He signed that contract for this season to be his cup shot.

He currently playing with Matthews and in the top 6.

He isn't a passenger now and likely to still finish with 20 goals this year.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
That doesnt make any difference

Marleau is over 35 so even if he retires his full cap is still on Leafs books, because there are special rules in the CBA to address this.

So even if Leafs tried to terminate the contract they would still face his full cap hit regardless. But because there would be NO cap savings it wouldn't make sense to even attempt it.

These special over +35 contract are written exactly for this purpose so teams don't attempt any cap circumventing tactics.

The NHL thought of that, so what Leaf fans are attempting wont fly with the league.

Jozay

Jul 9, 2012
Toronto
Marleau is over 35 so even if he retires his full cap is still on Leafs books, because there are special rules in the CBA to address this.

So even if Leafs tried to terminate the contract they would still face his full cap hit regardless. But because there would be NO cap savings it wouldn't make sense to even attempt it.

These special over +35 contract are written exactly for this purpose so teams don't attempt any cap circumventing tactics.

The NHL thought of that, so what Leaf fans are attempting wont fly with the league.
Plekanec just got his contract terminated this season. He was 35 when he signed.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Plekanec just got his contract terminated this season. He was 35 when he signed.

The catch is multi year deals only for +35 year old players when they sign them.

1 year contracts are exempt from these CBA rules for all ages, that is because the CAP hit (AAV) and the $$ are the same.

The reason for the multi-year +35 special rules is precisely to avoid these types of cap circumventing deals by teams.

ex. Leafs sign Joe Thornton to a 2 year contract at $10 mil so his AAV becomes $5 mil per X 2 years to calculate the cap hit.. But the team pays him most of his full amount up front in signing bonus (wink wink nod nod) and then he retires in year #2. If he was signed to a 1 year only deal his cap hit would be $10 mil AAV. So the league realized during the lockout that teams would try and get around this and they cut it off at the pass so to speak.

Leafs signed Patty Marleau to a 3 year deal to lower the AAV/year and then as Leaf Fans believe only intended to pay most in the 1st 2 years and then have him retire in year #3 :wg:. Since you can't turn time back and alter previous years AAVs the league created a special rule that the team takes the full hit in the last year(s) even if that player walks away from the game.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
He currently playing with Matthews and in the top 6.

He isn't a passenger now and likely to still finish with 20 goals this year.
20 goals/40 points playing on the first line with a reasonable amount of PP time IS being a passenger/burden. I’m guessing Babcock feels pressure to play him given his salary.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
20 goals/40 points playing on the first line with a reasonable amount of PP time IS being a passenger/burden. I’m guessing Babcock feels pressure to play him given his salary.

Babcock's LW choices are Hyman. Marleau, Johnsson and Lindholm.

Even if Marleau played next year on the 3rd line with Kadri and Kapanen/Nylander it would still be OK.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Johnsson(3) Matthews(11.634) Bracco(842.5K)
Kapanen(3) Tavares(11) Marner(11)
Moore(775K) Nylander(6,962,366) Hyman(2.25)
Marchment(767.5K) Goat(675K) Engvall(925K)
52.831366m

Rielly(5) RHD(5)
Muzzin(4) Dermott(863,333)
Rosen(925K) 6th(800K)
16.588333m

Andersen(5)
Backup(1)
6m

Kessel(1.2)

Total: $76,619,699

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Ferland Matthews Bracco
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Hyman Nylander Kapanen
Engvall Goat Moore
Petan

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
31 Thoughts: How Golden Knights won the Mark Stone sweepstakes - Sportsnet.ca
The Senators (and potentially Columbus) will be in position to take advantage of teams who need space. Everyone can go 10 per cent over in the summer, but, eventually, the new season arrives and no one wants to be scrambling. There will be plenty of opportunity; you can go through several rosters to see potential fits. If the Senators don’t want term, there are two one-season injury fits that benefit Toronto and Vegas.

I know how much the Senators (and their fans) would love to aid Toronto, but the Maple Leafs removing the one year and $5.3 million of Nathan Horton’s remaining contract would help.
The Golden Knights have $5.25 million left to pay David Clarkson. Ottawa has to make those opponents (or anyone else who tries) earn it.

The other thing Ottawa can try is what the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers did in the summer of 2017. Way under the cap and needing a shooter, they signed J.J. Redick to a one-year, $23-million contract. (He extended for another season and $12.25 million last summer.) Before your eyes fall out of your heads, I’m not suggesting the Senators pay anyone that much. But a young team is going to need a good veteran or two. And a one-year contract at a bigger number is a simple way to hit the floor. Term doesn’t kill you, and you’ve got to spend the money anyway.

I don’t think it is going to be too difficult.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad