Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
How to stay under the cap? If Marleau retires, there is 6.25m.
But if he doesn't you're looking at a Nylander because over 6m,,,,net has to be traded.
Why do folks keep on mentioning Horton? He doesn't help/hurt the Leafs cap at all next season.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
No one else will want Z. He is not scared but he is small and easily pushed around the ice. His hands are also weak. His puck control as a result is weak. His defensive understanding is Russian based for bigger ice surface and not NHL/Canadian based. That is not nationalistic either it is just a different way to train and teach defense. Bottom line there is no respect at all for him on ice. His game just does not travel well from KHL to here. It was a Babs gamble that did not work out. Babs tried and failed on this one. My only real issue with babs is his ego and not being man enough to admit mistakes. It is same thing this year with Oz. Babs should leave it to our scouts and GM to pick the players. He should stick to figuring out how to coach team to a 1st round win against Boston.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
And Dubas needs to give him the defenders. Babs should have 3 guys who know and understand defense the old fashioned Canadian way. Fast, tough, hard, corners driven, net front pissed, know how to withstand a heavy forecheck, know how to eat the puck, good defensive positioning, have bombs for shots and can make nice passes to forwards. Right now Babs has 1 guy Muzzy which I can understand why he is ticked off. Get 2 more Muzzy's. Add them to Rielly, Dermott and Rosen and you got yourself a nice defense next season. or add in Sandin and make Rosen and Holl your 7 and 8 guys.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lastly the CBA needs a clause that allows every team 1 mistake per year. So when a bad mistake is made teams are not saddled for 5-8 years. There should be 1 buyout a year where a team can payout a player and there is nothing counted against the CAP. This way the players don't lose. The teams take some financial risk but ultimately a bad contract does not stop a team from improving. When owners are paying 750M to buy a team no one really cares about a mistake a year. And the teams that can't afford it well guess what they should be in the AHL. or maybe not even with a hockey team because markets are being forced to work that otherwise do not give a damn about hockey (like carolina and arizona) . No one could give a crap if Zona or Carolina miss this year because so very few people in those markets care about hockey. There are literally more people in Canada with family, relatives and friends on those teams who care much more than the market.

Reactions: bikemike66

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
And Dubas needs to give him the defenders. Babs should have 3 guys who know and understand defense the old fashioned Canadian way. Fast, tough, hard, corners driven, net front pissed, know how to withstand a heavy forecheck, know how to eat the puck, good defensive positioning, have bombs for shots and can make nice passes to forwards. Right now Babs has 1 guy Muzzy which I can understand why he is ticked off. Get 2 more Muzzy's. Add them to Rielly, Dermott and Rosen and you got yourself a nice defense next season. or add in Sandin and make Rosen and Holl your 7 and 8 guys.
IMO Carolina/Minnesota make the best partners for us in the summer.

Zaitsev is ok but kind of a tweener in my opinion.
We either need someone with more strength/D or better offense/IQ.

Spurgeon or Pesce would be a good addition.
Either:
Rielly...Pesce
Muzzin...Dermott

Or
Rielly...Dermott
Muzzin...Spurgeon

Plus these teams have cheaper centers if we can work a deal.
Wallmark or Kunin from either.
We need a summer deal like Carolina/Calgary.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

It took how many years of Lou and Dubas to get the first Muzzy? Dubas might have a better chance of walking on water than acquiring two more.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
IMO Carolina/Minnesota make the best partners for us in the summer.

Zaitsev is ok but kind of a tweener in my opinion.
We either need someone with more strength/D or better offense/IQ.

Spurgeon or Pesce would be a good addition.
Either:
Rielly...Pesce
Muzzin...Dermott

Or
Rielly...Dermott
Muzzin...Spurgeon

Plus these teams have cheaper centers if we can work a deal.
Wallmark or Kunin from either.
We need a summer deal like Carolina/Calgary.

Canes were trying to save money this past summer and sold low on Skinner and Lindholm. Too bad Leafs won't have lots of cap space to take advantage of a budget team trying to save money.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
It took how many years of Lou and Dubas to get the first Muzzy? Dubas might have a better chance of walking on water than acquiring two more.
So true. But at least a first step has been taken. Rome was not built in a day.

I would be ticked off if I was Babs too. You bring me in, pay me huge money and then give me 3/4 AHL at best level defenders to compete against da Bruins. And then you ask me to beat them.

Mark my words Babs is no dummy he will end up going with Rielly and Muzzy like 30+ minutes a night. He really has no other chance. And even then I am not sure Dermott and Hainsey can handle going 20 minutes a night. Hainsey did not get any faster and he was slower than slow last playoffs against Bruins. I can honestly see Dermott getting really nasty pissed off mad and then getting dropped bad by a Kuraly or Backes. And when it happens because that kid is tough as nails then there will be no choice but Hainsey taking him on. Because that is all we got. Next thing we are down to AHLers on the ice. Boston will push the limits of our defense. They will play heavy on them all same as last year.

Reactions: ToneDog

I am Canadian

AM34|WN88|MM16
May 22, 2008
Toronto
upload_2019-3-27_15-38-6.png

Was playing around with Cap-friendly and it seems pretty rough.
Ideally, the Leafs have a handshake deal with Marleau to get traded and retire and the Leafs could easily fit under the cap and even keep Brown around.

Somebody needs to go, as shown here just trading Brown isn't enough.

Johnsson at 3, Kapanen at 3.5 and Marner at 9.25 seem like hopeful salaries as well. We don't need to panic, I'm sure management has a plan. I can't see trading Zaitsev help our already putrid right side.

EDIT: Yes this includes Horton on LTIR and Kessel's 1.2m we still owe.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
How to stay under the cap? If Marleau retires, there is 6.25m.
But if he doesn't you're looking at a Nylander because over 6m,,,,net has to be traded.
Why do folks keep on mentioning Horton? He doesn't help/hurt the Leafs cap at all next season.
Marleau, Zaitsev, and Brown in that order are the priority to move for cap reasons. The latter two should be movable, and that gives us the room we need.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Marleau, Zaitsev, and Brown in that order are the priority to move for cap reasons. The latter two should be movable, and that gives us the room we need.
BANG ON RIGHT. Although I can tell you Marner will not re-sign at 9+. Dubas set the table and it is his own doing when Marner gets min 10M per. Kappy can be done around 3.5M (he is buddies with Willy). Johnsson will be dealt to help unload Z. And actually team will improve a little because Bracco is ideal line mate for Matty (it is hand and glove skill set match). It helps when Matty, Bracco and Marner are all good buddies too. It will get done and figured out. And Sandin will likely surprise everyone once people realize that he could rival Rielly for team #1 position in future.

Reactions: Crosscrease14

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
The Zaitsev contract is why it makes sense for a team that has all the money in the world to front load every single contract. I’m personally not against Z. He is at least a legit D, although overpaid.

But..... if the leafs had front loaded the contract so he was only owed 3.5 million it would be easier.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Option A is that marleau goes away this year. I personally believe that’s what the deal was at the time. There were lots of signs pointing to it. But of course we won’t know til we know. That would make everything pretty easy.

Most likely we will trade one of kappy or Johnny. And that’s totally Ok. The whole thing is to identify your core players. The rest you fill in with lower case players and get rid of them when they price themselves out.

In my mind the forward core is:

Matthews. Tavares. Marner. With a tweeter of nylander. The rest you can make fill in with young talent as it goes.

If you drop kappy for a D and bring up Bracco we are fine.

Crosscrease14

Dec 16, 2014
Unless the leafs win the cup and Marleau retires (trade his cap hit) he has to be Orpik'd. The precedent has been set.

Also, I'd keep Zaitsev for now, resign Oz for cheap and give Voynov a one year prove it deal. Voynov, Zaitsev and Oz on the right with Rielly, Muzzin, Dermott on the left could work. If it doesn't you still have a ton of assets to trade for another D.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
View attachment 205403

Was playing around with Cap-friendly and it seems pretty rough.
Ideally, the Leafs have a handshake deal with Marleau to get traded and retire and the Leafs could easily fit under the cap and even keep Brown around.

Somebody needs to go, as shown here just trading Brown isn't enough.

Johnsson at 3, Kapanen at 3.5 and Marner at 9.25 seem like hopeful salaries as well. We don't need to panic, I'm sure management has a plan. I can't see trading Zaitsev help our already putrid right side.

EDIT: Yes this includes Horton on LTIR and Kessel's 1.2m we still owe.
Marner seems hopeful, but I still have no idea why Johnnson and Kapanen will get over 3 mil. It's their first NHL seasons, and looks like neither will even top 50 points.

Votrano is the same age as Johnsson, and scored a few more goals and a few less points that Johnson this season. What did he sign for last month? 2.5 cap hit.
Kase has better numbers than Johnson. Cap hit 2.6

Last edited:

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
BANG ON RIGHT. Although I can tell you Marner will not re-sign at 9+. Dubas set the table and it is his own doing when Marner gets min 10M per. Kappy can be done around 3.5M (he is buddies with Willy). Johnsson will be dealt to help unload Z. And actually team will improve a little because Bracco is ideal line mate for Matty (it is hand and glove skill set match). It helps when Matty, Bracco and Marner are all good buddies too. It will get done and figured out. And Sandin will likely surprise everyone once people realize that he could rival Rielly for team #1 position in future.

I think Marleau retires. Father time will take another bite out of him this summer. AJ, Kappy, Kadri or Willie will be dealt for a top 4 cap friendly dman. Unless it is Nylander there will not be much of a cap gain in the trade, if any. If they can move Z, there might be enough cap space to sign Gards.

ToneDog

Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
Marner seems hopeful, but I still have no idea why Johnnson and Kapanen will get over 3 mil. It's their first NHL seasons, and looks like neither will even top 50 points.

Votrano is the same age as Johnsson, and scored a few more goals and a few less points that Johnson this season. What did he sign for last month? 2.5 cap hit.
Kase has better numbers than Johnson. Cap hit 2.6

Yesterday (think it was on Leaf lunch) heard Leafs were pissed that AJ's agent turned down 2x2.1 and 4x2.5 bridge deals and prefers to wait until the offseason.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I wouldn't accept either of those deals either if I were him.

Leafs have set their own precedent of signing 20 goal scorers to 7m AAV. Sure Johnsson, and Kapanen think they will deserve more than what the Leafs want to give Gee, what does 20 goal scorer Hyman think he deserves in a few years.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
Leafs have set their own precedent of signing 20 goal scorers to 7m AAV. Sure Johnsson, and Kapanen think they will deserve more than what the Leafs want to give Gee, what does 20 goal scorer Hyman think he deserves in a few years.
The coach does not like Nylander.

Best NHL season was just over 20 goals means Nylander is vastly overpaid.

Nylander is not a core player, he does not play like one, got to give a shit more often.

All things considered, with all that talent, and all the Maple Leafs have gotten in return in terms of performance, kind of easy to move on from Nylander, and get cap space.

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yesterday (think it was on Leaf lunch) heard Leafs were pissed that AJ's agent turned down 2x2.1 and 4x2.5 bridge deals and prefers to wait until the offseason.
So another leaf player who thinks he deserves more than league-wide comparables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->