Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I got in a discussion over this before but I'll say it again: Johnsson and Kapanen ain't going to cost the Leafs $5.5M next season. Kapanen alone might get that much. It's business in the end. Someone in the league would easily give Kapanen around $5M AAV for 5+ years.

I still don't see how it's out of the realm of possibility that Marleau would agree to be traded then bought out then return at a discount. No rules would be broken doing this. The biggest issue is there aren't as many possible destinations for this type of move with Arizona having bucket loads of dead contracts already. New Jersey? Carolina? Ottawa? New York Rangers?

That's why Kapanen and Johnsson's deal will be short. 2-3 years max each I'd say. Thankfully, they are both RFAs. Althought, I believe AJ has arbitration rights which could complicate.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Never said it was. Nor is the one we have now. This is one that fits under the cap after Matthews, Nylander & presumably Marner gouge us. I expect and want better than this.

I think you're on the right track except for believing Leafs will need to sacrifice offensive forward depth to address it.

If Nylander and his $7 mil are used to acquire a Top 4 RHD of similar level and cap that would be significant.

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
lol getting harder to pitch zaitsev to anyone, don cherry is just slamming the guy. Dubas should ask him to lay off till he finds a sucker.

Reactions: dsred

GoldenGOOSE

Jan 14, 2018
Nylander is extremely tradeable because of all the bonus money he received and is receiving, sure he is a size cap him, but for a team that is funds challenged he would be a big prize.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
lol getting harder to pitch zaitsev to anyone, don cherry is just slamming the guy. Dubas should ask him to lay off till he finds a sucker.

Thankfully nobody in the hockey management circles likely takes Don Cherry even remotely seriously, nor should anyone in any other circles.

Whaleafs

“The Leafs are mulch again”
Mar 24, 2017
HFX
I think you're on the right track except for believing Leafs will need to sacrifice offensive forward depth to address it.

If Nylander and his $7 mil are used to acquire a Top 4 RHD of similar level and cap that would be significant.

Absolutely. That would solve a lot of problems, but I don't think that's in management's plans. I tried to avoid letting Kap or Johnsson go too, but if one did that could free up room for D upgrade too. Or Marner taking 9 million vs 11 million. Endless possibilities.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Absolutely. That would solve a lot of problems, but I don't think that's in management's plans. I tried to avoid letting Kap or Johnsson go too, but if one did that could free up room for D upgrade too.

I'm assuming Zaitsev is gone, and one of Johnsson/Kapanen/Kadri/Nylander is too, with the caveat that Marleau is still here.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
That's why Kapanen and Johnsson's deal will be short. 2-3 years max each I'd say. Thankfully, they are both RFAs. Althought, I believe AJ has arbitration rights which could complicate.

Why in the world would either take a shorter deal when a longer deal with a higher AAV is simply a signature away? This is just wishful thinking. These bridge deals require a sizable disagreement over a player's worth. It's a thought by the player that he is going to prove more worth in that time period. The proof of worth is happening right now. There are teams willing to sign either player to considerably more money than us wishful thinkers want. That's just reality.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Why in the world would either take a shorter deal when a longer deal with a higher AAV is simply a signature away? This is just wishful thinking. These bridge deals require a sizable disagreement over a player's worth. It's a thought by the player that he is going to prove more worth in that time period. The proof of worth is happening right now. There are teams willing to sign either player to considerably more money than us wishful thinkers want. That's just reality.

1 year doesn't get you a long term deal at big money, well not as a middle 6 guy anyway and not on a cap strapped team. Bridges here make complete sense. It's not wishful thinking at all. Offer sheets rarely, if ever, happen. Assuming these players will get offer sheets and choose to leave for those as opposed to signing bridge deals here is just pessimism.

Reactions: Menzinger

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
I got in a discussion over this before but I'll say it again: Johnsson and Kapanen ain't going to cost the Leafs $5.5M next season. Kapanen alone might get that much. It's business in the end. Someone in the league would easily give Kapanen around $5M AAV for 5+ years.

I still don't see how it's out of the realm of possibility that Marleau would agree to be traded then bought out then return at a discount. No rules would be broken doing this. The biggest issue is there aren't as many possible destinations for this type of move with Arizona having bucket loads of dead contracts already. New Jersey? Carolina? Ottawa? New York Rangers?
Given the offer sheet limits, I see the floor for Kappy and Johnsson at high $3 million low $4 million range x 6. Each. Maybe less for fewer years.

Fans gotta stop with the wishful fan thinking. Speaking of wishful fan thinking, Marleau ain't going anywhere unless the Leafs win the Cup.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Fans gotta stop with the wishful fan thinking. Speaking of wishful fan thinking, Marleau ain't going anywhere unless the Leafs win the Cup.

He'd only be going somewhere on paper in that scenario. A scenario that includes MORE money paid to Patrick Marleau by the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Given the offer sheet limits, I see the floor for Kappy and Johnsson at high $3 million low $4 million range x 6. Each. Maybe less for fewer years.

Given offer sheet compensation ranges, a top 10 NHL team (20+ overall pick) undoubtedly would be willing to give up its 1st round pick for Kapanen.

Johnsson? That's highly debatable but Johnsson could get north of $4M with only a 2nd rounder on the table as compensation.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
That's not exactly a defense core that is screaming Cup contender.

Its basically what we have now minus Gardiner and Zaitsev for Cap reasons.

Holl, Rosen as regulars with Muzzin, Rielly, Dermott and the aging Hainsey.
In my opinion, we need to spend/reserve at least 25 million for D + G.
That in itself is pretty basic.
Rielly 5 - RHD 4?
Muzzin 4 - Zaitsev or replacement 4/4.5
Dermott 1 - Lily 1

Andersen 5
Sparks 1

That’s bare bones. Having 4 of Dermott/Oz/Rosen/Lily make up the D core is a bad, bad idea.

83 million cap - 1.2 for Kessel
81.8 million - 25 for D + G = 56.8 million
Tavares/Matthews/Nylander + Marner = 40 million?
16.8 left. Marleau + Kadri + Brown = 12.85

Johnsson + Kapanen RFA

We are spending way too much on wingers.
Spend down the middle and on D.
Matthews/Tavares/Nylander/Goat = 30 million. Add the 25 for D + G = 55 million

26 million for wingers + 13th forward/7th D.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Absolutely. That would solve a lot of problems, but I don't think that's in management's plans. I tried to avoid letting Kap or Johnsson go too, but if one did that could free up room for D upgrade too. Or Marner taking 9 million vs 11 million. Endless possibilities.

I think it might need to be a combo platter where if you want Zaits gone you would need to combine that with Kadri/Kappy/Johnsson etc into a bigger trade bringing in a Top 4 RHD.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Because both guys with just one season of high scoring don’t have A case for a big money contract at the moment.

Like if Kapanen’s agent thinks he’s going to be a six million dollar guy eventually (which he won’t get this season, even on an offersheet) it’s better to sign a 1-3 year bridge deal, put up high numbers alongside Matthews and then push for bigger money with multiple high scoring seasons in place.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Something tells me all these worries will be all for not because Marleau is retiring next season. His cap hit will be dealt to a team needing to get to cap floor.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
It’s going to be tight there’s no question about it. I’ve messed around on cap friendly a few times to see what’s realistic.

Brown & Zaitsev have to go for sure at the very least, either for picks or low contracts. Brown should be doable but Zaitsev is concerning. I just picked St. Louis who have 2 UFA Dmen.

The Marner, Kapanen & Johnsson contracts are close to what I’d expect.

Re-signing Hainsey, Sparks & Ennis on affordable deals is to go with known entities to round out a few spots not filled with AHL promotions. Liljegren or Sandin being able to jump up would be great but they won’t be rushing them guaranteed. Would like to keep Oz too, not sure what the RFA deal will look like but he could be in Holl’s spot.

Moving Marleau would help tremendously but is unlikely so I think it will leave us lean on the back end again barring any great moves by management. Better minds are on top of this so I expect something better than this but this is about the most conservative I can GM larp.

View attachment 195343
View attachment 195337
View attachment 195339
View attachment 195341

That dcore is terrible and most likely mean we miss the playoffs.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Because both guys with just one season of high scoring don’t have A case for a big money contract at the moment.

Like if Kapanen’s agent thinks he’s going to be a six million dollar guy eventually (which he won’t get this season, even on an offersheet) it’s better to sign a 1-3 year bridge deal, put up high numbers alongside Matthews and then push for bigger money with multiple high scoring seasons in place.

Alex Tuch signed a 7 year $4.75M extension after 1 season of 15 goals and 37 points. Kapanen's bridge is this final year of his ELC. And if he's signing a so-called bridge it'll be closer to $5M than $3M.

Mar 14, 2011
Why then didn't Domi sign a longer deal, for a higher AAV this summer, if offersheets are as common as you seem to be implying here? He already had a 52 point and a 45 point season coming in to the summer, yet, no offer sheets of 5+ mill for 4-5 years came his way despite being unsigned till mid June.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Alex Tuch signed a 7 year $4.75M extension after 1 season of 15 goals and 37 points. Kapanen's bridge is this final year of his ELC.

That means nothing. Coming off an ELC there are many others that signed for less then that after better seasons then Tuch had. In the end its a crapshoot what these guys will sign for after their ELC. Tuch also signed for 7 years hence the reason so high of a number.

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
R u serious? Next....

09a2e1db-d65c-4f4b-9e73-7114193bc995-jpeg.195341

You disagree? For starters Holl can't crack the lineup this season and now he's in the top 4 and that doesn't raise mammoth red flags for you??? Please move on I encourage you.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Something tells me all these worries will be all for not because Marleau is retiring next season. His cap hit will be dealt to a team needing to get to cap floor.

The only bad thing is that I don't think there's a single team with a need to reach the cap floor next season. This move which I agree is likely will cost something.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Why then didn't Domi sign a longer deal, for a higher AAV this summer, if offersheets are as common as you seem to be implying here? He already had a 52 point and a 45 point season coming in to the summer, yet, no offer sheets of 5+ mill for 4-5 years came his way despite being unsigned till mid June.

Did you see the year he had last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad