Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
To All the Caps Guys out there
Please enlighten me how this gets done
I can't see how we do it now but maybe I am not smart enough

look at every elite team in the league.

go to their page on capfriendly.

and tell me how much they spend on their bottom 9 players.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Problem with that is Marleau will likely refuse to waive his NMC . He loves it here and has 2 young kids in school in Toronto
You think Marleau would turn down a chance to return to SJ to finish off his career? Marleau came to the leafs because they offered a three year deal while the rest of the league only offered two. So it shouldn't shock him when hes new sons bend over the gm for every penny possible that Dubas would come around asking to move him.

This will play out one of two ways:
1) Marleau @ 50% retention to SJ for picks
2) Marleau to SJ for a 2-3m contract (Bottom pairing RHD Braun @ 3.8m a likely target).

Anything to save 3m in cap space that can be used toward Kaps new deal. Browns 2.1 can be moved to accommodate Johnssons new 2.5-3m deal.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
If Matthews disappears in the playoffs again his contract will not look great either
He certainly has zero physical edge currently. I don't know if he is ... saving it, injured or scared

Reactions: Ports

dangomon

Nov 4, 2017
Kingston, ON
Next year is the major issue. With Matthews at 11.6 (hate the term all you want but thats irrelevant for next seasons cap crunch), thats lower than most people have been speculating in their roster predicitions. Some sacrifices will have to be made, bridges will have to be signed, but with LTIR, hopefully no bonus overages (assuming we don't take on more salary this year), we will be under the cap with an incredibly competitive team next year.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
First off it is almost 17 million if you use the LTIR for Horton which right now is on the cap cause we can.

That being said, cap will be closer to 85 million when all is said and done. Projection was 83-85 million next season.

Kapanen and Johnsson resign bridge deals for about 4-6 million combined. Lets say Johnsson on a 3 yr deal at 1.5 annually, and Kapanen on a 3 yr deal at 2.5 annually. That's roughly 4 million. That leaves you 13 to spend and 7 players to sign.

Goat remains your 4th line center again, and you replace Lindholm at .925 with Moore at .748 next season on the 4th line wing. Brings you down to 6 players to sign with 12.25 to spend.

You replace Hainsey on 3rd pairing with Rosen .785 cap hit. 11.5 to spend with 5 players to sign.

Resign Ennis to a slight raise from .650 to .850 cap hit. 10.7 t0 spend with 4 players to sign.

Trade Brown for picks at draft. Get another 2.10 back to cap. Brings it back up to 12.8 to spend on 5 players.

Trade Zaitsev for picks in off season. Frees up another 4.5 bring cap figure up to 17.3 to spend on 6 players.

Trade picks and prospects for Pesce. 4 million back on cap. 13.3 million to spend on 5 players.

Resign Sparks to 2 yr 3 million contract. 11.9 million to spend on 4 players

Liljegren plays bottom pairing with Rosen for a cost of .895. 11 million to spend on 3 players.

Marchment plays 4th line wing for .625. 10.4 million to spend on 2 players.

Re-sign Marner to contract average of 9.7 a season. .700 to spend on 1 player

Holl as 7th dman for .650

$50K left under cap

Marleau-Matthews-Kapanen
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Johnsson-Kadri-Nylander
Moore-Goat-Marchment/Ennis

Reilly-Pesce
Dermott-Muzzin
Rosen-Liljergren

Holl

Andersen
Sparks

Reactions: nick942

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Relevant to what I just posted here: A bit of optimism, the 2015-16 Penguins

The best teams rely on cheap depth. That's the way it's always been.

With Horton on LTIR we're at $16.4 million. Zaitsev will definitely be gone, which frees up another $2-3 million. Let's call it $2.5 million (i.e., trade Zaitsev and find a $2 million replacement) so we're up to $18.9 million. Marner takes $10 million, leaving us with $8.9 million for four forwards, three defense, and a backup goalie if the team wants to carry 13F, 8D. Realistically that's unnecessary with the Marlies right down the road. Let's call it three forwards, two defense for a 12F, 7D roster.

Three of those players are most like Moore ($775,000), Rosen ($750,000), and Liljegren ($894,000). Sparks is likely back around $800,000. That leaves us at about $5.7 million for Kapanen and Johnsson before even considering that Brown can be replaced by a <$1 million player from the Marlies, We can probably go even cheaper on Zaitsev's replacement. That right there would give us some flexibility for carrying extras.

It's not the end of the world. Everything is going to be fine.

Reactions: dangomon

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
Bob McKenzie already posted something and the Leafs were fine, had like 2mil space and that included a 10+ deal for Marner

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Johnsson (2) - Matthews (11.64) - Nylander (6.96)
Hyman (2.25) - Tavares (11) - Marner (10)
Marleau (6.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Kapanen (2)
Ennis (0.7) - Gauthier (0.675) - Moore (0.775)
Marchment (0.767)

Rielly (5) - Dermott (0.863)
Muzzin (4) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Rosen (0.7) - Ozhiganov (0.925)
Holl (0.675)

Andersen (5)
Sparks (0.7)

Kessel (1.2)

The tough part will be to convince Johnsson and Kapanen to both take a 1 year 2 million dollar contract and tell them the following season Marleau's 6.25M cap hit will be split beetween them. If Kapanen wants to holdout then trade him for a young defender who's an upgrade on Ozzy and have Bracco replace Kapanen on the third line. Connor Brown will be easy to move for a pick.

shouldn't be tough both on pace for high 40's in points, show me what you can do next year and we will pay one of you more and move the other bit of a fire on who wants to take the big contract haha I know that's not going to happen.

But seriously career highs of ~50 points aren't worth that much after 2,3 years in the league. OR we move one these 2 a really good depth players sure but depth players shouldn't be keep at all cost type players

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
I've probably seen 5 different rosters for next season coming in slightly above or below $83mil.

To "enlighten" someone who seems to need constant enlightenment:

Brown is gone for a cheaper 4th liner.

If Marleau is back....Gardiner isn't.

If Marleau AND Zaitsev is back...Gardiner isn't....and there's about $5mil to split between Kapanen and Johnsson or one of those 2 go and Brown stays.

Any improvements come from moving a Zaitsev. Marleau's presence is directly tied to any chance we have at retaining Gardiner. Brown is insurance in case Kapanen or Johnsson try to play hard ball but one of the 3 has to go.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The Jugheads on Morning Skate with Blair are saying the Leafs should have locked up Matthews for 8 years and then turn around and say the Leaf can’t re-sign anybody else because there is no cap room left. And they actually believe themselves

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
and Kadri (replaced with a much cheaper young center). Then shift any remaining dollars to the D.

We don't have any other C's though, so now we are using assets to get one. Unless Nylander moves to C, I think he can do it he always seems way more engaged at C but babcock doesn't really like him there and he is the coach, But if they did move nylande rto C and he did succeed A: his contract would instantly get a lot better to almost a steal and B: allow us to get cap space back for kadri

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
look at every elite team in the league.

go to their page on capfriendly.

and tell me how much they spend on their bottom 9 players.

Exactly. Here are some of ours:

Moore - $775K
Goat - $650K
Sparks - $850K (estimate)
Holl - $675K
Dermott - $865K
Ennis type - $650K
Rosen - $750K

We've been preparing for next year by signing some of the guys I mentioned above through next season. Those cheap deals are how you survive now.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I'll Bite

Marleau (6.25) Matthews (11.634) Nylander (6.97)
Hyman (2.25) Tavares (11) Marner (9.5)
Johnson (2) Kadri (4.5) Kapanen (2.75)
Moore (.775) Gauthier (.65) Bracco (.85)

Reilly (5) Muzzin (4)
Dermott (.85) Zaitsev (4.5)
Rosen (.75) XXXXXX

Andersen (5)
Sparks (.8)
Kessel (1.2)

Thats 81.229

Thats about 2 million to sign one D... If Marner wants 10.5 you have 1.75 left on an 83 million dollar deal. All you did was dump brown.....
If we dump Marleau, GOLDEN. If we have to lose kapanen, I mean oh well I guess?

Its not great, its not ideal

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
You HAVE to trade one of zaitsev or marleau.

My opinion:

Zaitsev + johnsson for pesce

Marleau to sj for whatever

He was over 35 when he signed so any buyouts are at full aav. The most likely scenario is moving him back to SJ while retaining 50% or taking back a contract worth 2-3m.

You think Marleau would turn down a chance to return to SJ to finish off his career? Marleau came to the leafs because they offered a three year deal while the rest of the league only offered two. So it shouldn't shock him when hes new sons bend over the gm for every penny possible that Dubas would come around asking to move him.

This will play out one of two ways:
1) Marleau @ 50% retention to SJ for picks
2) Marleau to SJ for a 2-3m contract (Bottom pairing RHD Braun @ 3.8m a likely target).

Anything to save 3m in cap space that can be used toward Kaps new deal. Browns 2.1 can be moved to accommodate Johnssons new 2.5-3m deal.

Seems like pretty wishful thinking. Marleau will just be a pal and help the Leafs out with their contract situation when he hasnt won a cup yet. He had a few runs in San Jose and they could never get over the hump. I highly doubt he just out of the goodness of his heart gives up his chance to win the cup in Toronto. A place where he has recently relocated his family and seems to love it.

Its going to end up costing a decent player like Kadri, maybe Nylander, or Brown combined with someone else to clear some cap space if they need it, not Marleau. He completely controls his destiny with that NMC

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I looked in there but did not see one realistic plan but again we did not have the Matty signing until yesterday so the landscape is totally new

Well, we didn’t get smart in past 24 hours so I don’t think you’ll get anywhere

But...

It’s as Obvious today as it was the day Tavares signed, someone may have to go.
Marleau, Zaitsev and Nylander are strong candidates.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Bob McKenzie already posted something and the Leafs were fine, had like 2mil space and that included a 10+ deal for Marner

It's fine, for now. Rielly and Anderssen change everything in 3 years or so. People don't complain about Matthews and Nylander because their contracts impact us today. We now know Marner will get a huge contract as well, fine as well. The problem is 4 years from now when you Rielly is up, we assume one of Sandin or Lilj will be a budding #1d. Dermott may be a legit #1D.

We are getting mocked for highlighting a little foresight. We entered into this under the assumption we would keep the big 3 as core, that's likely done with now.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
It's fine, for now. Rielly and Anderssen change everything in 3 years or so. People don't complain about Matthews and Nylander because their contracts impact us today. We now know Marner will get a huge contract as well, fine as well. The problem is 4 years from now when you Rielly is up, we assume one of Sandin or Lilj will be a budding #1d. Dermott may be a legit #1D.

We are getting mocked for highlighting a little foresight. We entered into this under the assumption we would keep the big 3 as core, that's likely done with now.
3 year period core
Matthews 11.6 (5 years)
Tavares 11 (6 years)
Nylander 7 (5 years)
Marner unknown 10 mil?
Muzzin 4 (UFA) expect 6 or walk (take Marleau’s salary)
Rielly 5 (3 years) expect 8
Andersen 5 (2 years) expect 8
Zaitsev 4.5 (4 years)

8 players = around 66 million
90 million cap? for 12-15 players. 24 mil.

RFAs/UFAs during this time Kadri/Johnsson/Kapanen/Dermott/Hyman/Brown

Reactions: Stamkos4life

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
3 year period core
Matthews 11.6 (5 years)
Tavares 11 (6 years)
Nylander 7 (5 years)
Marner unknown 10 mil?
Muzzin 4 (UFA) expect 6 or walk (take Marleau’s salary)
Rielly 5 (3 years) expect 8
Andersen 5 (2 years) expect 8
Zaitsev 4.5 (4 years)

8 players = around 66 million
90 million cap? for 12-15 players. 24 mil.

RFAs/UFAs during this time Kadri/Johnsson/Kapanen/Dermott/Hyman/Brown

Kadri gone
Johnsson 4m
Kappy 5m +
Dermott 5m +
Hyman gone
Brown gone

3 players 14m = 80m.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events