Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You HAVE to trade one of zaitsev or marleau.

My opinion:

Zaitsev + johnsson for pesce

Marleau to sj for whatever

Zaitsev is a major negative to Carolina. They already have 4 NHL RHD, + McKeown in the AHL + "potentially" Fox. IMO, it would take Johnsson ++ for Pesce and Zaitsev is a --.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Zaitsev is a major negative to Carolina. They already have 4 NHL RHD, + McKeown in the AHL + "potentially" Fox. IMO, it would take Johnsson ++ for Pesce and Zaitsev is a --.

You can trade Zaitsev, but you'll get nothing back for him save a mid round pick.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
If Marners camp turns this into a bloodbath. Managment needs to make it known that players they expected to keep around are likely on the way out.

Buddies like Marleau are going to be asked to waive. Nylander and Kadri will have trade options explored. Kapanen,Johnsson will be moved if they don't want bridge deals.

Our bottom 6 will be filled with entry level guys and cheap vets.
Likely don't have the flexibility to upgrade weak areas on the backend; instead hoping guys like Lijgren and Sandin are ready.

Better win it before Rielly and Andersen are due.

---
Crazy talk:

If we don't win a cup in the next 3 years.
Trade Matthews with 2 yrs left.
Trade Nylander with 2 yrs left.

Mini restructure with Tavares/Marner /Andersen /Rielly as core.

TopCheese

Mar 16, 2016
canada
You think Marleau would turn down a chance to return to SJ to finish off his career? Marleau came to the leafs because they offered a three year deal while the rest of the league only offered two. So it shouldn't shock him when hes new sons bend over the gm for every penny possible that Dubas would come around asking to move him.

This will play out one of two ways:
1) Marleau @ 50% retention to SJ for picks
2) Marleau to SJ for a 2-3m contract (Bottom pairing RHD Braun @ 3.8m a likely target).

Anything to save 3m in cap space that can be used toward Kaps new deal. Browns 2.1 can be moved to accommodate Johnssons new 2.5-3m deal.
The problem is san Jose will be up against the cap . Don’t think they will want him back

IrishInOntario

May 18, 2013

What I'd love to see...
1. Trade Nikita Zaitsev for picks.
2. Trade Andreas Johnsson + Connor Brown to Carolina for Brett Pesce and Aleksi Saarela or Janne Kuokannen.
3. Let Hainsey, Gardiner and Oz walk.
4. Bridge Kasperi Kapanen for 2 years.

Marleau (6.25) / Matthews (11.6) / Nylander (6.96)
Hyman (2.25) / Tavares (11.0) / Marner (10.0)
Saarela (753k) / Kadri (4.5) / Kapanen (3.0)
Marchment (768K) / Gauthier (675k) / Moore (775K)
Bracco (842k)

Muzzin (4.0) / Reilly (5.0)
Dermott (863k) / Pesce (4.0)
Liljegren (894k) / Rosen (750K)
Holl (675K)

Anderson (5.0)
Sparks (1.0)

Kessel (1.5)

Total: 83,055,000

1. The cap increases another $3.5 million (conservatively) .
2. Let Marleau and Gauthier walk. That opens up $6.9 million.
3. Trade Zack Hyman for picks.
4. Extend Jake Muzzin.
5. Extend Travis Dermott.
6. Sign Mike Hoffman to a free agent deal at around $6.5-7.0 million per season and slot him on Matthews' left wing to replace Marleau.

Last edited:

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
1. Nylander and Marleau to Carolina on July 1st for future assets and ELCs. Marleau re-signs with the Leafs for ~$2M. Adds $11.2 M.
and/or
2. Zaitsev to anyone interested for no assets to speak of in return (if something has to be added, so be it). Adds $4.5M
and/or
3. It's better to get rid of LTIR bodies if you can so here's a crazy one (hold on):
Before July 1st, Nathan Horton to Vegas for David Clarkson and < $1M cap dump. After July 1st, trade David Clarkson and his remaining $1M in salary with some small asset(s) to make it worthwhile for the team. Snag: Clarkson and Horton have to approve these trades. Adds $5.25M.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
I don't have any issue with our star players getting paid. The salary structure of most teams in the future will be top heavy.

I was a bit disappointed we couldn't get Matthews for more term but his AAV is completely fine.

The Leafs will be fine at handling the cap. I'd rather be a good team with no cap space than what we have had for the past 15 years since the cap was created....a bad team that still didn't have cap space.

Do not care who gets what at this point. Sign them and enjoy watching them for the next decade.

and who are we kidding? Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Matthews, Rielly, Marner, Andersen etc are still here for multiple years. We'll be fine.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
It's fine, for now. Rielly and Anderssen change everything in 3 years or so. People don't complain about Matthews and Nylander because their contracts impact us today. We now know Marner will get a huge contract as well, fine as well. The problem is 4 years from now when you Rielly is up, we assume one of Sandin or Lilj will be a budding #1d. Dermott may be a legit #1D.

We are getting mocked for highlighting a little foresight. We entered into this under the assumption we would keep the big 3 as core, that's likely done with now.

Signing Rielly won't be difficult. Top D don't tend to get paid as much as forwards.

Andersen is a goner but this team can make it work even without him (hasn't really been anything special in the playoffs either).

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
If Matthews disappears in the playoffs again his contract will not look great either. I’m reserving judgement on all these deals including Tavares until we see this team play the Bruins again.
Difference is Matthews and Tavares are centers. Look at the highest paid players in the league, almost all centers minus price and Kane and Kane is an mvp 3 time cup champ.

Marners camp want him to be the highest paid winger in the league. Think about it.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I agree that they overpaid him but The Leafs and Dubas must have really be concerned about an offer sheet for Matthews which would make it potentially more costly. The days of teams having the upper hand with RFA’s are over apparently.

Are they???, ya know, i keep hearing that bul Sxxx , lets see how it plays out for Rantanen,Point,Lianne,Kyle Conner,Trouba and the other high profile RFAs.

Right now, i'm not buying the hype one little bit, to me all i see are 3 greedy little twits and 1 weak azz GM.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
He certainly has zero physical edge currently. I don't know if he is ... saving it, injured or scared
He has something like 7 hits on the season so I don’t think it’s part of his game which does concern me in the playoffs when getting pushed around can be a big problem.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Difference is Matthews and Tavares are centers. Look at the highest paid players in the league, almost all centers minus price and Kane and Kane is an mvp 3 time cup champ.

Marners camp want him to be the highest paid winger in the league. Think about it.
I’m not sure what there is to think about. Matthews will be the highest paid Leaf now because he is an elite goal scoring centre no matter what Marner’s camp wants. In order for Marner to be the Captain of a team and their highest paid player he needs to play somewhere else. Love the kid but don’t agree with his camp continually coming out in the press. Take the $9.5M the Leafs can pay you over six years and hit the home run on your next contract at 28 like Tavares did. This isn’t just about money with them, it’s becoming about ego and that will kill a locker room.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Going to have to try and move Marleau somehow. Brown is probably gone. Maybe Zaitsev goes. Gardiner is probably gone. Try to get Johnsson and Kapanen on bridge deals so you can hold onto them for as long as possible.

Trouble with Zaitsev and Marleau is what we have to give up to get teams to take those problems off our hands.
Also need to get Marleau to waive his NMC.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Marleau is going no where. Sorry.. this isn’t fantasy hockey. Not happening. Brown, Nylander, Zaitsev, AJ are the 4 guys who should be moved.

Brown has not played well. He is a fringe NHL player. If someone will take him, you move him. Nylander is going to be moved. Who will take Zaitsev??? Not very appealing for many teams. I would like to bring AJ back on a reasonable deal, but he has more value to other teams than the Leafs. Under no circumstance do you move KK.
Who plays LW if they move AJ? They have more depth at RW. You don’t move Nylander unless you get back a good top 4 RD and a good prospect which may be tough to do unless he shines in the last two months of the season and the playoffs. Otherwise it’s just a salary dump and I can’t see Dubas making that concession so soon after signing him.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
It will end up with leafs trading players like Kapenen and Johnsson for areas of need or picks (probably Hyman too if he asks for too much). Let Gards go. Wait for expansion draft then bring up the Bracco’s, Sandins, and Marchment’s of the world, Sign guys like Ennis for a year or two, Replenish the prospect pool, then rinse repeat.

We will have a core of Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott, Andersen and a revolving door of ufa signings and promoted prospects.

The contracts terms are staggered to allow wiggle room from year to year. When Matthews RFA year comes, they’ll have the space to keep him (or move him if he ends up being injury prone for example), they aren’t stuck with bad contracts or retaining insane lengths of contracts in trades.

Who knows what the next CBA will be. No sense in worrying until then.

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
To All the Caps Guys out there
Please enlighten me how this gets done
I can't see how we do it now but maybe I am not smart enough
upload_2019-2-7_9-0-30.png

upload_2019-2-7_9-1-7.png

upload_2019-2-7_9-1-35.png

upload_2019-2-7_9-2-54.png

upload_2019-2-7_9-13-23.png

This leaves $2,260,000 in cap-space (with an $83,000,000 salary cap).
(and it already accounts for Kessel's $1,200,000).

WHICH MEANS:

- We can keep Hyman or Brown if we wanted to.
- If we keep Zaitsev instead of Myers than we could keep Hyman and Brown.
- We can also re-sign Gardiner instead of Myers (or Stralman if Gards accepts low 5's).
- You can sub-in Par Lindholm for Marchment, Ennis or Bracco if you want.
- You can also sub in Liljegren and Sandin for Rosen and Holl.

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-7_9-4-31.png
    upload_2019-2-7_9-4-31.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
So I was thinking, I like the Muzzin trade, we needed a Dman but what does next year look like now? It was already tight to fit everyone in before we traded for a 4M+ Dman,

I have attached something for you to look at, do you agree someone else needs to go?

1. League allows for teams to have 20-23 players on its roster. Next year, we may need to have only 21. That saves a little $.
2. Can we get both Matthews and Marner for under 20 M combined?
3. Can we get Kapanen and Johnson for under 5M?

Already we know there is no money to keep Gardiner or Hainsey, so cheap rookies or veterans will have to take their places.

I am thinking Zaitsev or Johnsson or brown may also need to go and replaced with a cheaper option.

Next year is going to be so tight. There are basically 5 spots we need to fill outlined below in white.

View attachment 180733 View attachment 180733

i know you love dem Leafs, but no matter how you cut it, wish for it, beg for it or otherwise, there is almost zero chance Liljegren is up with the big club next year

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Ok so I just got some inside scoop. Joe Resnick is the agent of the recently retired Rick Nash. A friend of mine that is an OHL scout keeps in contact with agents all the time and is good friends with Joe. He just told me that word on the street is that the Leafs will pull a Washington Capitals and do with Marleau what the Caps did with Orpik this past off season.

Trade him along with a pick to a team. Team will buy him out which will be for the remainder of his contract (3M). This will be a 1 million dollar cap hit for 3 years to the team buying him out. Toronto in turn will resign him for 2 million dollars on a 1 yr deal. Marleau wins by making 5 million next season verses 3 million. Leafs win lowering cap hit for Marleau from 6.25 million to 2 million. And buyout team wins by getting some assets.

Yes this is circumventing the cap, but Washington was already cleared of any wrong doing. So the Leafs have the green light to do so. Agent believes this is whats going to happen. Leafs and Marleau relationship with still be good because he will still be a Leaf and locker room will remain happy as Marleau is a big part of it and its chemistry.

This along with some other deals (possible Zaitsev, or Brown) keeps you under the cap.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Ok so I just got some inside scoop. Joe Resnick is the agent of the recently retired Rick Nash. A friend of mine that is an OHL scout keeps in contact with agents all the time and is good friends with Joe. He just told me that word on the street is that the Leafs will pull a Washington Capitals and do with Marleau what the Caps did with Orpik this past off season.

Trade him along with a pick to a team. Team will buy him out which will be for the remainder of his contract (3M). This will be a 1 million dollar cap hit for 3 years to the team buying him out. Toronto in turn will resign him for 2 million dollars on a 1 yr deal. Marleau wins by making 5 million next season verses 3 million. Leafs win lowering cap hit for Marleau from 6.25 million to 2 million. And buyout team wins by getting some assets.

Yes this is circumventing the cap, but Washington was already cleared of any wrong doing. So the Leafs have the green light to do so. Agent believes this is whats going to happen. Leafs and Marleau relationship with still be good because he will still be a Leaf and locker room will remain happy as Marleau is a big part of it and its chemistry.

This along with some other deals (possible Zaitsev, or Brown) keeps you under the cap.

This is a great plan but remind us, did the Caps not trade Orpik before the trade deadline? I wonder, if this scenario is on the minds of the Leafs brass, would they attempt this move now or in summer after the season is over? And if it was all done in the summer, wouldn't that look super-dodgy to the league?

edit:

Just looked it up and they traded Orpik at the draft and then re-signed him about a month or so later. THIS, is the ONLY way you get Marleau to be compliant in any move to help the team with its cap challenges. All this other talk of asking Marleau to waive his NMC so we can just trade him away is NEVER going to happen. Marleau came here to win a cup and nothing else. He is extremely well respected around the league and a sure-fire Hall of Famer. You don't do those guys dirty like some of the people on here are clamouring for.

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

I really really hope you are right. Marleau looked great for 1st 3 games after getting his back some much needed rest but last game well it looked like same old sale old already.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Kap 3x2
AJ- 1.5x1
MM- 10.5x whatever it gets
Sparks 1x2

Trades
Brown to whoever for a 2nd rounder
Kadri to Dallas for Faksa (perfect 3C for 2.2m) +Back/Eriksson/Mascherin+2019 2nd

Leafs plan
Hyman-Tavares-Marner
Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
Johnsson-Faksa-Kapanen
Timashov-Gauthier-Moore
xxx

Muzzin-Rielly
Dermott-Zaitsev
Rosen-Liljegren/Oz
Holl

Andersen
Sparks

assuming:
xxx is filled with a league min player
83 million cap
we run with a 22 man roster

that leaves ~1 million in cap space (3-4 in deadline space)

Leaving any money freed up from Marleau shenanigans or moving Zaitsev to be used for upgrades, not to be cap cap compliant

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I can imagine this situation: Gardiner is let go via UFA in this situation.
Marner signs long term 6-7 years for 9-9.5
Kapanen signs 1 year contract worth 2.5
Johnsson signs 2 year contract worth 1.75
Then at the end of 2019-20 with Marleau's cap hit coming off the books, there will be room to resign Kapanen and maybe even Muzzin.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread already but the idea was floated on either 590 or 1050 (can't remember which) that the Leafs could also potentially not carry the maximum of 23 players on the roster for next season. They could possibly go with only 20 --- 18 skaters + 2 goalies. With the Marlies so close it would be easy to call someone up in the event of any injuries for home games and also carry 23 whenever they go on extended away trips. This would in effect help suppress some (not all) of the cap pressure. I think likely, the team will deploy a combination of roster maneuvering/trickery in order to keep the majority of the current squad in place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->