Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Discussion in 'Toronto Maple Leafs' started by Love Dem Leafs, Jan 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy Eat cookies, get fat, watch from the couch

Zaitsev is a major negative to Carolina. They already have 4 NHL RHD, + McKeown in the AHL + "potentially" Fox. IMO, it would take Johnsson ++ for Pesce and Zaitsev is a --.

2. justafan22

justafan22 Registered User

You can trade Zaitsev, but you'll get nothing back for him save a mid round pick.

3. TMLFC

TMLFC Registered abuser

PV Technician
    If Marners camp turns this into a bloodbath. Managment needs to make it known that players they expected to keep around are likely on the way out.

Buddies like Marleau are going to be asked to waive. Nylander and Kadri will have trade options explored. Kapanen,Johnsson will be moved if they don't want bridge deals.

Our bottom 6 will be filled with entry level guys and cheap vets.
    Likely don't have the flexibility to upgrade weak areas on the backend; instead hoping guys like Lijgren and Sandin are ready.

Better win it before Rielly and Andersen are due.

---
    Crazy talk:

If we don't win a cup in the next 3 years.
    Trade Matthews with 2 yrs left.
    Trade Nylander with 2 yrs left.

Mini restructure with Tavares/Marner /Andersen /Rielly as core.

4. Boom Boom Apathy

Boom Boom Apathy Eat cookies, get fat, watch from the couch

Correct. So Johnsson and "maybe" getting a mid round pick for Pesce? I think the Canes would pass on that very easily.

5. TopCheese

TopCheese Registered User

The problem is san Jose will be up against the cap . Don’t think they will want him back

6. IrishInOntario

IrishInOntario Registered User

What I'd love to see...
    1. Trade Nikita Zaitsev for picks.
    2. Trade Andreas Johnsson + Connor Brown to Carolina for Brett Pesce and Aleksi Saarela or Janne Kuokannen.
    3. Let Hainsey, Gardiner and Oz walk.
    4. Bridge Kasperi Kapanen for 2 years.

Marleau (6.25) / Matthews (11.6) / Nylander (6.96)
    Hyman (2.25) / Tavares (11.0) / Marner (10.0)
    Saarela (753k) / Kadri (4.5) / Kapanen (3.0)
    Marchment (768K) / Gauthier (675k) / Moore (775K)
    Bracco (842k)

Muzzin (4.0) / Reilly (5.0)
    Dermott (863k) / Pesce (4.0)
    Liljegren (894k) / Rosen (750K)
    Holl (675K)

Anderson (5.0)
    Sparks (1.0)

Kessel (1.5)

Total: 83,055,000

1. The cap increases another $3.5 million (conservatively) .
    2. Let Marleau and Gauthier walk. That opens up $6.9 million.
    3. Trade Zack Hyman for picks.
    4. Extend Jake Muzzin.
    5. Extend Travis Dermott.
    6. Sign Mike Hoffman to a free agent deal at around $6.5-7.0 million per season and slot him on Matthews' left wing to replace Marleau.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  7. JustAShadow

JustAShadow non player character

1. Nylander and Marleau to Carolina on July 1st for future assets and ELCs. Marleau re-signs with the Leafs for ~$2M. Adds $11.2 M.
    and/or
    2. Zaitsev to anyone interested for no assets to speak of in return (if something has to be added, so be it). Adds $4.5M
    and/or
    3. It's better to get rid of LTIR bodies if you can so here's a crazy one (hold on):
    Before July 1st, Nathan Horton to Vegas for David Clarkson and < $1M cap dump. After July 1st, trade David Clarkson and his remaining $1M in salary with some small asset(s) to make it worthwhile for the team. Snag: Clarkson and Horton have to approve these trades. Adds $5.25M.

8. Pi

Pi Registered User

I don't have any issue with our star players getting paid. The salary structure of most teams in the future will be top heavy.

I was a bit disappointed we couldn't get Matthews for more term but his AAV is completely fine.

The Leafs will be fine at handling the cap. I'd rather be a good team with no cap space than what we have had for the past 15 years since the cap was created....a bad team that still didn't have cap space.

Do not care who gets what at this point. Sign them and enjoy watching them for the next decade.

and who are we kidding? Tavares, Nylander, Kadri, Matthews, Rielly, Marner, Andersen etc are still here for multiple years. We'll be fine.

HouseofBuggins and CincoHolio like this.
  9. Pi

Pi Registered User

Signing Rielly won't be difficult. Top D don't tend to get paid as much as forwards.

Andersen is a goner but this team can make it work even without him (hasn't really been anything special in the playoffs either).

10. sessiroth

sessiroth Registered User

Difference is Matthews and Tavares are centers. Look at the highest paid players in the league, almost all centers minus price and Kane and Kane is an mvp 3 time cup champ.

Marners camp want him to be the highest paid winger in the league. Think about it.

11. sessiroth

sessiroth Registered User

What I see happening is Nylander gets traded. Only thing that makes sense.

Faltorvo likes this.
  12. Faltorvo

Faltorvo Registered User

Are they???, ya know, i keep hearing that bul Sxxx , lets see how it plays out for Rantanen,Point,Lianne,Kyle Conner,Trouba and the other high profile RFAs.

Right now, i'm not buying the hype one little bit, to me all i see are 3 greedy little twits and 1 weak azz GM.

ImpartialNHLfan likes this.
  13. Ports

Ports Registered User

He has something like 7 hits on the season so I don’t think it’s part of his game which does concern me in the playoffs when getting pushed around can be a big problem.

14. Ports

Ports Registered User

I’m not sure what there is to think about. Matthews will be the highest paid Leaf now because he is an elite goal scoring centre no matter what Marner’s camp wants. In order for Marner to be the Captain of a team and their highest paid player he needs to play somewhere else. Love the kid but don’t agree with his camp continually coming out in the press. Take the $9.5M the Leafs can pay you over six years and hit the home run on your next contract at 28 like Tavares did. This isn’t just about money with them, it’s becoming about ego and that will kill a locker room.

15. Ports

Ports Registered User

Also need to get Marleau to waive his NMC.

16. Ports

Ports Registered User

Who plays LW if they move AJ? They have more depth at RW. You don’t move Nylander unless you get back a good top 4 RD and a good prospect which may be tough to do unless he shines in the last two months of the season and the playoffs. Otherwise it’s just a salary dump and I can’t see Dubas making that concession so soon after signing him.

17. crump

crump ~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~

It will end up with leafs trading players like Kapenen and Johnsson for areas of need or picks (probably Hyman too if he asks for too much). Let Gards go. Wait for expansion draft then bring up the Bracco’s, Sandins, and Marchment’s of the world, Sign guys like Ennis for a year or two, Replenish the prospect pool, then rinse repeat.

We will have a core of Matthews, Tavares, Marner, Nylander, Kadri, Reilly, Muzzin, Dermott, Andersen and a revolving door of ufa signings and promoted prospects.

The contracts terms are staggered to allow wiggle room from year to year. When Matthews RFA year comes, they’ll have the space to keep him (or move him if he ends up being injury prone for example), they aren’t stuck with bad contracts or retaining insane lengths of contracts in trades.

Who knows what the next CBA will be. No sense in worrying until then.

18. drewjenks

drewjenks Registered User

upload_2019-2-7_9-0-30.png
    upload_2019-2-7_9-1-7.png
    upload_2019-2-7_9-1-35.png
    upload_2019-2-7_9-2-54.png
    upload_2019-2-7_9-13-23.png

This leaves $2,260,000 in cap-space (with an $83,000,000 salary cap).
    (and it already accounts for Kessel's $1,200,000).

WHICH MEANS:

- We can keep Hyman or Brown if we wanted to.
    - If we keep Zaitsev instead of Myers than we could keep Hyman and Brown.
    - We can also re-sign Gardiner instead of Myers (or Stralman if Gards accepts low 5's).
    - You can sub-in Par Lindholm for Marchment, Ennis or Bracco if you want.
    - You can also sub in Liljegren and Sandin for Rosen and Holl.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  19. therealkoho

therealkoho Gary says it's A-OK

i know you love dem Leafs, but no matter how you cut it, wish for it, beg for it or otherwise, there is almost zero chance Liljegren is up with the big club next year

20. BlueForever75

BlueForever75 Registered User

Ok so I just got some inside scoop. Joe Resnick is the agent of the recently retired Rick Nash. A friend of mine that is an OHL scout keeps in contact with agents all the time and is good friends with Joe. He just told me that word on the street is that the Leafs will pull a Washington Capitals and do with Marleau what the Caps did with Orpik this past off season.

Trade him along with a pick to a team. Team will buy him out which will be for the remainder of his contract (3M). This will be a 1 million dollar cap hit for 3 years to the team buying him out. Toronto in turn will resign him for 2 million dollars on a 1 yr deal. Marleau wins by making 5 million next season verses 3 million. Leafs win lowering cap hit for Marleau from 6.25 million to 2 million. And buyout team wins by getting some assets.

Yes this is circumventing the cap, but Washington was already cleared of any wrong doing. So the Leafs have the green light to do so. Agent believes this is whats going to happen. Leafs and Marleau relationship with still be good because he will still be a Leaf and locker room will remain happy as Marleau is a big part of it and its chemistry.

This along with some other deals (possible Zaitsev, or Brown) keeps you under the cap.

Clark4Ever and topched like this.
  21. CincoHolio

CincoHolio Registered User

This is a great plan but remind us, did the Caps not trade Orpik before the trade deadline? I wonder, if this scenario is on the minds of the Leafs brass, would they attempt this move now or in summer after the season is over? And if it was all done in the summer, wouldn't that look super-dodgy to the league?

edit:

Just looked it up and they traded Orpik at the draft and then re-signed him about a month or so later. THIS, is the ONLY way you get Marleau to be compliant in any move to help the team with its cap challenges. All this other talk of asking Marleau to waive his NMC so we can just trade him away is NEVER going to happen. Marleau came here to win a cup and nothing else. He is extremely well respected around the league and a sure-fire Hall of Famer. You don't do those guys dirty like some of the people on here are clamouring for.

dsred and ImpartialNHLfan like this.
  22. JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal Registered User

I really really hope you are right. Marleau looked great for 1st 3 games after getting his back some much needed rest but last game well it looked like same old sale old already.

23. 4thline

4thline Registered User

Kap 3x2
    AJ- 1.5x1
    MM- 10.5x whatever it gets
    Sparks 1x2

Trades
    Brown to whoever for a 2nd rounder
    Kadri to Dallas for Faksa (perfect 3C for 2.2m) +Back/Eriksson/Mascherin+2019 2nd

Leafs plan
    Hyman-Tavares-Marner
    Marleau-Matthews-Nylander
    Johnsson-Faksa-Kapanen
    Timashov-Gauthier-Moore
    xxx

Muzzin-Rielly
    Dermott-Zaitsev
    Rosen-Liljegren/Oz
    Holl

Andersen
    Sparks

assuming:
    xxx is filled with a league min player
    83 million cap
    we run with a 22 man roster

that leaves ~1 million in cap space (3-4 in deadline space)

Leaving any money freed up from Marleau shenanigans or moving Zaitsev to be used for upgrades, not to be cap cap compliant

24. 2022 Stanley Cup

2022 Stanley Cup Registered User

Student
    I can imagine this situation: Gardiner is let go via UFA in this situation.
    Marner signs long term 6-7 years for 9-9.5
    Kapanen signs 1 year contract worth 2.5
    Johnsson signs 2 year contract worth 1.75
    Then at the end of 2019-20 with Marleau's cap hit coming off the books, there will be room to resign Kapanen and maybe even Muzzin.

25. CincoHolio

CincoHolio Registered User

Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread already but the idea was floated on either 590 or 1050 (can't remember which) that the Leafs could also potentially not carry the maximum of 23 players on the roster for next season. They could possibly go with only 20 --- 18 skaters + 2 goalies. With the Marlies so close it would be easy to call someone up in the event of any injuries for home games and also carry 23 whenever they go on extended away trips. This would in effect help suppress some (not all) of the cap pressure. I think likely, the team will deploy a combination of roster maneuvering/trickery in order to keep the majority of the current squad in place.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.