Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
To CAR:
Kapanen
Brown
+?

To TOR:
Pesce
+?

To VAN:
Zaitsev

To TOR
3rd round pick

Cap goes up to 83M

upload_2019-2-7_12-2-6.png

sessiroth

Jan 21, 2010
Toronto Ont.
I’m not sure what there is to think about. Matthews will be the highest paid Leaf now because he is an elite goal scoring centre no matter what Marner’s camp wants. In order for Marner to be the Captain of a team and their highest paid player he needs to play somewhere else. Love the kid but don’t agree with his camp continually coming out in the press. Take the $9.5M the Leafs can pay you over six years and hit the home run on your next contract at 28 like Tavares did. This isn’t just about money with them, it’s becoming about ego and that will kill a locker room.
We are on the same page. There's no way he should get a matching contract to Matthews

drewjenks

Oct 1, 2017
Canada
So I was thinking, I like the Muzzin trade, we needed a Dman but what does next year look like now? It was already tight to fit everyone in before we traded for a 4M+ Dman,

I have attached something for you to look at, do you agree someone else needs to go?

1. League allows for teams to have 20-23 players on its roster. Next year, we may need to have only 21. That saves a little $.
2. Can we get both Matthews and Marner for under 20 M combined?
3. Can we get Kapanen and Johnson for under 5M?

Already we know there is no money to keep Gardiner or Hainsey, so cheap rookies or veterans will have to take their places.

I am thinking Zaitsev or Johnsson or brown may also need to go and replaced with a cheaper option.

Next year is going to be so tight. There are basically 5 spots we need to fill outlined below in white.

View attachment 180733 View attachment 180733

We'll definitely fit under the cap next year.
Gardiner, Zaitsev and/or Brown will be the victims if necessary.

However.

I'd honestly have no issues if Dubas traded Matthews, Marner & Nylander before July 1st.

(preparing for attack)

1. The return would be immense (equivalent to the value of 10-12 mid-1st round picks).
2. We can target big UFA's (Panarin, Stone, Duchene, Hayes, Skinner Karlsson, Myers, etc).
3. Dubas would send a strong message for future RFA negotiations.

- Three big UFA's would keep us very competitive now (likely for less than $30 million).
- A massive surplus of 1st rounders and AAA prospects would open a 10+ year window.

Reactions: TopCheese

kb

Aug 28, 2009
If Mitch wants Matthews money, I tell their reps/dad that we are going to address all our other RFA's first, and then we will circle back to you, and you get what's leftover.

You'll sign an offer sheet they say? No problem, we can exceed the cap by 10% in the summer, so the Leafs will match anything up to 4 first round picks. Oh, you wish to request a trade to a team that will pay him Matthews money? (Good luck, no team will pick up the phone on that).

Here's your $4.5 million 2 year bridge Mitch. Enjoy.

Reactions: TopCheese

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Isn't it sort of a dumb premise "Can the Leafs stay under the cap?" Well they have too. And the only way they do it is to trade a high priced player(s) for picks, prospects or players on ELC.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Kadri although on a great contract is a 3rd line luxury. He or Nylander could be dealt. Plus Id say Zaitsev gets moved somehow. The bonus overage per what Mess says could be crippling ..

Kadri won't be dealt in a cap dump or for futures.

Frederick Gauthier or Trevor Moore become our 3rd line centre, and lose the only foward with any "heaviness" we have.

Zaitsev, marleau, brown all move before you consider kadri.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
A lot will ride on what they give Marner. If they can get him less than $10M, it shouldnt be too hard. Would maybe have to move brown, and not resign gardiner.

AJ and Kapanen will get squeezed on 1yr deals, with the knowledge some cap is opening in 2020.

If they want to retain Gardiner, Marleau would have to move. Zaitsev likely doesnt clear enough room - minus replacement.

I dont suspect there will be a lot of surgery, but would make additions difficult and would have to nickel and dime the little space they have for a late season addition.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
A lot will ride on what they give Marner. If they can get him less than $10M, it shouldnt be too hard. Would maybe have to move brown, and not resign gardiner.

AJ and Kapanen will get squeezed on 1yr deals, with the knowledge some cap is opening in 2020.

If they want to retain Gardiner, Marleau would have to move. Zaitsev likely doesnt clear enough room - minus replacement.

I dont suspect there will be a lot of surgery, but would make additions difficult and would have to nickel and dime the little space they have for a late season addition.
I'm thinking that Liljegren will be given every opportunity to win a spot in the lineup out of camp. That is a $3.5 million saving over Zaitsev.

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
I'm thinking that Liljegren will be given every opportunity to win a spot in the lineup out of camp. That is a $3.5 million saving over Zaitsev.

Agreed, but 3.5 wont be enough to retain gardiner. Gardiner is getting at least 5M aav if he takes with term. I would not at all be surprised to see teams willing to pay 6.5-7 over 5 or 6 years.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Important (in my mind) to not let Travis dermotts next deal get too big.

With Gardiner likely gone, dermott is moving into a much bigger role.
I propose we sign him this summer so that his demands don't go way up.

I'd offer 3.5-4 million over 6-7 years and see what he says.
Hopefully he like a guaranteed 25 million

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Agreed, but 3.5 wont be enough to retain gardiner. Gardiner is getting at least 5M aav if he takes with term. I would not at all be surprised to see teams willing to pay 6.5-7 over 5 or 6 years.
With Rielly, Muzzin, and Dermott as LD, anything above $5 million doesn't work. Trade Brown and replace him at league minimum and you have your $5 million. But I would rather use $5 million on a RD.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Shedding Hyman and/or Brown for ELCs ain't going to be a panacea for cap constraints. One of Johnsson or Kapanen going is unfortunately more likely.

Swap out both Hyman and Brown for ELC players and save less than $3M. Johnsson and Kapanen are both playing and producing at the level of a $5M AAV player. That's what they're going to demand. Swap one of Johnsson or Kapanen for an ELC player and save over $4M.

GBLeaf

Feb 13, 2014
England, GB.
I'd be in no rush to move Hyman out anyway.

Brown will likely be a casualty. If we're looking for another D, Kapanen is the most likely bait. I suspect he'd cost more than Johnsson, he's in a position we have more prospects than AJ and his value is probably a little higher currently too.

Reactions: kb

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
To Detroit:
Brown
Zaitsev
Aaltonen
3rd

To Toronto:
Jensen
Glendening
5th

To Carolina:
Kadri
Kapanen

To Toronto:
Pesce
Kuokkanen

Sign Spezza: 1 Year @ ~2.5 mil

upload_2019-2-8_14-12-44.png

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
19/20
Gardiner UFA 4.05M
Lindholm UFA 925K
Hainsey UFA 3M
Ennis UFA 650K
Hutch UFA 650K

20/21
Horton UFA 5.3M
Marleau UFA 6.25M

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
You know, for all the praise Tampa gets for their ability to get their stars on team friendly contracts, their cap situation is just as sticky if not worse than the Leafs going into next season. I just don't understand why they are lauded so much for their cap management. 1 if not 2 of their main pieces will have to be traded before next season if it is their hope to sign Point long term. They have a lot of roster holes to fill in '19-'20.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I hope someone like Spezza would be willing to give a hometown discount, also knowing they're joining a cup contender...

Also hope there is a bargain bin RHD available for cheap, since a lot of RFAs are going to get paid, and there are a lot of quality UFAs so far.

Trade Zaitsev for caproom

Trade Kadri +++ for Pietrangelo

upload_2019-2-10_9-16-33.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-10_9-15-21.png
    upload_2019-2-10_9-15-21.png
    73.9 KB · Views: 1

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Tavares 11
Marner 11
Matthews 11.6
Nylander 6.96
Kapanen 3
Johnsson 3
Hyman 2.25
Kadri 4.5
Moore .775
Goat .675
Marchment .7675
Engvall .925
56.4525m

Rielly 5
RHD 5
Muzzin 4
Dermott .863
Rosen .750
6th 1.0
16.613m

Andersen 5
Backup .700
5.7m

Retained: Kessel 1.2m

Total: 79.9655m

------------------------

Kapanen Matthews Nylander
Johnsson Tavares Marner
Moore Kadri Hyman
Marchment Goat Engvall

Rielly RHD
Muzzin Dermott
Rosen 6th

Andersen
Backup

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
I've been brainstorming ways to build the team for 2019-2020 while keepying Nylander... its possible, but in reality, he may have priced himself out of town. If he took an Ehlers contract (closest comparable), things would be so much easier.

Reactions: ImpartialNHLfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->