Salary Cap: 2019-20 How Can the Leafs Stay Under The Cap?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Edmonton wasn't signing a Tavares even with a Dubas because they're still Edmonton. Now it's almost worse as they're Edmonton with McDavid and still sucking and not drawing anyone to want to play there.

Dubas has been great but the issue in Edmonton is that nobody wants to play or live there so trying to manage them becomes very difficult.
McDavid must be kicking himself for signing for 8 years after seeing what Matthews signed for today.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Didn’t he sign with the Leafs because he wants to win a cup? Why would he give that up to go to Arizona. He can retire wherever he wants to anyway after his contract expires.
If there was even a tiny hint of a part of him that was at all interested in winning a cup, he would have:
a) not been an utter calamity last year in the playoffs.
b) not signed that utter disgrace of a treacherous shitty f***ing contract.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
If there was even a tiny hint of a part of him that was at all interested in winning a cup, he would have:
a) not been an utter calamity last year in the playoffs.
b) not signed that utter disgrace of a treacherous ****ty ****ing contract.
That makes no sense. I get it. You don’t like they guy but it’s not like he’s intentionally ruining the team’s chance to win a cup.

Reactions: Walshy7

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
Matthews deal just made this harder - can't help but feel that Dubas is being put through the ringer for these deals. Feel like he overpayed Nylander 1M and now the same for Matthews. How does he get 11.634 with only giving up 5 years? His first deal is straight to UFA, feel like he's going to screw us over.
I agree that they overpaid him but The Leafs and Dubas must have really be concerned about an offer sheet for Matthews which would make it potentially more costly. The days of teams having the upper hand with RFA’s are over apparently.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
With the way marners been playing lately I wouldn't be surprised to see Aho, tkachuk, point all finished ahead of him in scoring. All those guys are gonna make less then what marners camp is asking for.

Scoring is up league wide. If marner is a hairball over a point per game player but not top 15 in scoring, he's not worth 10m
If Matthews disappears in the playoffs again his contract will not look great either. I’m reserving judgement on all these deals including Tavares until we see this team play the Bruins again.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
I actually loved Matthews. I just honestly didn't think he would ever do this to us. I just had such higher expectations than this. I feel utterly betrayed.
Ok. I thought you were referring to Marleau. Matthews did disappear in the playoffs last year but I don't blame him for this contract although I think it’s an overpay. They couldn’t afford him for a longer term so they agreed on five years which I’m okay with. Five years is a long time and if they have success and the cap keeps going up, they should be able to resign him.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Ok. I thought you were referring to Marleau. Matthews did disappear in the playoffs last year but I don't blame him for this contract although I think it’s an overpay. They couldn’t afford him for a longer term so they agreed on five years which I’m okay with. Five years is a long time and if they have success and the cap keeps going up, they should be able to resign him.
That's the spin perpetrated by the media (likely on behalf of mlse). This whole "he took a discount over 5 years." It makes absolutely no sense, an is not grounded on any precedent on any other nhl contract.

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Johnsson (2) - Matthews (11.64) - Nylander (6.96)
Hyman (2.25) - Tavares (11) - Marner (10)
Marleau (6.25) - Kadri (4.5) - Kapanen (2)
Ennis (0.7) - Gauthier (0.675) - Moore (0.775)
Marchment (0.767)

Rielly (5) - Dermott (0.863)
Muzzin (4) - Zaitsev (4.5)
Rosen (0.7) - Ozhiganov (0.925)
Holl (0.675)

Andersen (5)
Sparks (0.7)

Kessel (1.2)

The tough part will be to convince Johnsson and Kapanen to both take a 1 year 2 million dollar contract and tell them the following season Marleau's 6.25M cap hit will be split beetween them. If Kapanen wants to holdout then trade him for a young defender who's an upgrade on Ozzy and have Bracco replace Kapanen on the third line. Connor Brown will be easy to move for a pick.

Last edited:

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Instead of picks you deal directly for prospects. That will minimize the risk and keep the pipeline flowing.

That works too. It’s how we keep the pipeline coming while we seem to be trading our own picks.

Looks like we may have a major departure (or expense) in 5 years, so this is important.

17 Clark

Mar 22, 2015
That works too. It’s how we keep the pipeline coming while we seem to be trading our own picks.

Looks like we may have a major departure (or expense) in 5 years, so this is important.
Is there any reason why toronto can not just go past the salary cap The New York Yankees do it every year and get away with it maybe we should just buy everyone in the leagu

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this.... but couldn't 2 gms just talk behind the scenes and say look.... I got this dickbag agent who is trying to make me sign my RFA to too much... and the other GM has the same problem.

So you go okay... let's offer sheet each other at a reasonable cap hit... maybe one of the players bites... you help each other out that way... maybe help each other out in a trade later if one actually gets signed to a reasonable number.

I don't know how exactly it would work ... because I know the player has to sign it... but if you get the timing right and don't let any information leak... GMs may be able to help each other out possibly.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Is there any reason why toronto can not just go past the salary cap The New York Yankees do it every year and get away with it maybe we should just buy everyone in the leagu

The CBA is the reason. So no.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
To All the Caps Guys out there
Please enlighten me how this gets done
I can't see how we do it now but maybe I am not smart enough

coachbob59

Feb 13, 2018
What is the buyout cost for Marleau? Not saying its the right thing to do, but if its a matter of keeping a piece like Kappy, Johnson, Brown, Gardiner, etc, it might free up a couple million.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
This has been answered a million times in every thread. Are you serious?

Horton is on LTIR. Add 5.3M to your 11M which means they have ~16-17M to spend.

The Leafs will very likely trim off Zaitsev and Brown to save an addition ~3-4M. They could trade Kadri or Hyman as well if it makes sense. So many possibilities.

In 2020, Marleau is off the books.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I looked in there but did not see one realistic plan but again we did not have the Matty signing until yesterday so the landscape is totally new

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
What is the buyout cost for Marleau? Not saying its the right thing to do, but if its a matter of keeping a piece like Kappy, Johnson, Brown, Gardiner, etc, it might free up a couple million.
He was over 35 when he signed so any buyouts are at full aav. The most likely scenario is moving him back to SJ while retaining 50% or taking back a contract worth 2-3m.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
Trading Marleau to SJ for 3.13 cap hit and 750k in real dollars.

Leafs also do not match Offersheet and sign Taylor Hall.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
This has been answered a million times in every thread. Are you serious?

Horton is on LTIR. Add 5.3M to your 11M which means they have ~16-17M to spend.

The Leafs will very likely trim off Zaitsev and Brown to save an addition ~3-4M.

In 2020, Marleau is off the books.
Forgot about Horton sorry did not realize he was on books for 1 more year. Please delete thread. My mistake.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
The tough part will be to convince Johnsson and Kapanen to both take a 1 year 2 million dollar contract and tell them the following season Marleau's 6.25M cap hit will be split beetween them. If Kapanen wants to holdout then trade him for a young defender who's an upgrade on Ozzy and have Bracco replace Kapanen on the third line. Connor Brown will be easy to move for a pick.
Not a chance either of those two take 2 while Babs son Hyman and Brown makes 2.1-2.25. Expect 3.5 for Kappy and 2.5-3 for Johnsson.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->