Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Listen, heights are often overstated, so I’m guessing at least a few of those numbers are fudged.

But aside from that, height has no indication on how those players actually play. Viktor Svedberg was 6’7 and soft as butter. Same with a guy like Maatta and a few others on that list. Keith plays twice his size (seriously he’s not 6’1).

JVR is 6’3 and the most feeble player in the league. Size doesn’t make nearly the difference fiddy or Bobby try to make it out to be. Remember when Anaheim was gonna hit us to death? Who won that series? It’s the size of the heart that matters.

While heights don’t matter much, weights do, don’t they?

Several posters were talking a few weeks ago how 180 should be the absolute minimum for an NHL defenseman, and preferably you’d like them at 200+ lbs.

The Hawks next three top defensive prospects need to add weight. Not to outhit everyone, but to just be able to be strong enough to not get pushed around.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
While heights don’t matter much, weights do, don’t they?

Several posters were talking a few weeks ago how 180 should be the absolute minimum for an NHL defenseman, and preferably you’d like them at 200+ lbs.

The Hawks next three top defensive prospects need to add weight. Not to outhit everyone, but to just be able to be strong enough to not get pushed around.
Weights matter to a degree. You can’t put too much weight on if speed is a big part of your game. It’s about finding balance. If 180 works better for a dman than 200 then stick with 180.

No two humans are made the same, so what works best for them may vary.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Height and weight are fudged across the board. Most guys are smaller than listed. The value in those numbers comes from comparing them to their peers. So, yeah, I would say you need to be listed at 185-190 to play defense in the NHL(preferably 190-200). That means your playing weight is probably closer to around 180.

I met Shaw mid-season at Johnny's before he was traded. He looked around 5'10 and 170 lbs. He's listed at 5'11 and 182.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
Saad needs to go, our core 4 upfront is currently Toews, Kane, Strome and Debrincat. Add in a Panarin/Duchene/Stone and hopefully a top 3 F pick (Hughes, Kakko, Dach?) we don't need a 6M 40pt player. Rather keep AA tbh, esp if we are trying to entice Panarin to come back. If Perlini puts it together, he can be a 20g/20a guy to replace Saad's production.

Kakko/Hughes - Strome - Kane
Panarin - AA - Debrincat
Perlini - Toews - Kahun
Caggiula - Kampf - xxxx

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Saad needs to go, our core 4 upfront is currently Toews, Kane, Strome and Debrincat. Add in a Panarin/Duchene/Stone and hopefully a top 3 F pick (Hughes, Kakko, Dach?) we don't need a 6M 40pt player. Rather keep AA tbh, esp if we are trying to entice Panarin to come back. If Perlini puts it together, he can be a 20g/20a guy to replace Saad's production.

Kakko/Hughes - Strome - Kane
Panarin - AA - Debrincat
Perlini - Toews - Kahun
Caggiula - Kampf - xxxx

I’d put Saad with Strome and Kane before trading him.

Reactions: Rolo

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Yeah thats fair, if he can't get going with them then he NEEDS to go. In theory he'd be a perfect complement (when he's on his game).

Exactly. He’s the prototype of what you want next to those two. A speedy big body that is defensively responsible and has some offense.

But like you said, that’s only him when he’s on his game.

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
You want Saad type players come playoff time.
Yeah when he's on his ELC, not 6M. I mean, if he's playing good and we can improve the team while keeping him, then sure. I'm hoping Perlini can be that guy.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
We need to quit penciling in Hughes/Kakko into our lineups until after the lotto and we know the Hawks are picking 1 or 2. Doing otherwise is tempting the hockey gods to have the Hawks finish bottom 3 and end up picking in the 4-6 range.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I honestly wonder if we could nab a 1st from a team like the Leafs if we take the remaining years of Horton's contract. It goes from the rest of this season and next year then off the books with no major pieces we'd have to sign overlapping besides Delia and Perlini. Unless mgmt is 100% in the boat of playoffs or nothing it wouldn't hurt to get assets for taking cap strapped teams bad contracts

Rolo

Aug 9, 2011
If we want another 1st this deadline, then I think Gustafsson is our best bet. Possibly AA if teams are desperate for C help.

Hard call to make for me, I like what Gus has been doing as of late.

borednow

Jan 3, 2019
Hard no to trading Gus. Did people suddenly forget what our Power Play looked like before he got put on it?

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
We need to quit penciling in Hughes/Kakko into our lineups until after the lotto and we know the Hawks are picking 1 or 2. Doing otherwise is tempting the hockey gods to have the Hawks finish bottom 3 and end up picking in the 4-6 range.
GUYS ... we traded Brandon Manning, cut Rutta, demoted Seabrook, sitting Kunitz on most nights, and Delia is balling.

If you haven't noticed, the Hawks are trying to win. Unfortunately, I have a feeling the Hawks draft closer to 10 than the top 3. Even trading Anismov won't help much. This team has enough offensive fire power to be dangerous with a good goalie.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Can still draft good players in that range. Rantanen was selected 10th. I trust Kelley to get us another good piece either way.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah when he's on his ELC, not 6M. I mean, if he's playing good and we can improve the team while keeping him, then sure. I'm hoping Perlini can be that guy.

Saad will probably end up with around 50 points while being good defensively. I will take that come playoff time. He doesn't score pretty goals and that helps during the playoffs.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
If people had the choice now between Hughes and Kakko, who would you pick for this current team? Sounds crazy but I think I would strongly consider taking Kakko.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
If people had the choice now between Hughes and Kakko, who would you pick for this current team? Sounds crazy but I think I would strongly consider taking Kakko.
Agreed. Though you could take Hughes and move DeBrincat. I just think Kakko fits the team structure best.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Saad will probably end up with around 50 points while being good defensively. I will take that come playoff time. He doesn't score pretty goals and that helps during the playoffs.

There’s no really good reason to trade players like Saad, Anisimov, Murphy etc for futures unless its an overpayment. They have more than enough cap to bridge their RFAs and go after Panarin/Stone. Especially with the prospects that should make the jump next year this team should be in mix for playoffs.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
If the pick isn’t top 2, what do you guys think about trying to trade it for Zibanejad? Still has 3 years after this one at 5.35M.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Kakko probably fits better on paper.

Saad-Toews-Kakko
Panarin-Anisimov-Kane
DeBrincat-Strome-Sikura
Cagguila-Kampf-Kahun

Thats elite depth up front imo. It just seems to fit better with Kakko

Reactions: ColdSteel2
Status
Not open for further replies.