Speculation: 2019-20 Expected Blackhawks Roster

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
This trade doesn't involve Panarin. Stan can keep Saad, Cat and add Panarin.

All you're doing is trading for a forward who is more expensive than DeBrincat and a worse D prospect.
Do you know what Draisaitl's cap hit is? 8.5. That's what drew my attention to him. I think Draisaitl at 8.5 is a bargain compared to anything you might pay Cat. And if we sign Panarin next year, how do we sign Strome and Cat the year after? Now, I don't think it will happen because Draisaitl has the reputation as a franchise player and Saad and Cat don't. So even though Cat and Saad together will outscore Draisaitl, the Oilers won't make the trade. You overvalue Cat.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Do you know what Draisaitl's cap hit is? 8.5. That's what drew my attention to him. I think Draisaitl at 8.5 is a bargain compared to anything you might pay Cat. And if we sign Panarin next year, how do we sign Strome and Cat the year after? Now, I don't think it will happen because Draisaitl has the reputation as a franchise player and Saad and Cat don't. So even though Cat and Saad together will outscore Draisaitl, the Oilers won't make the trade. You overvalue Cat.

Wait... you said that Drais is a bargain at 8.5 compared to what Cat will get paid. Then you said that he overvalues Cat. Which is it?

Cat isn't getting paid 10m. He's arguably a Laine-lite. He's closer to a pure goal scorer than anything, he's just average defensively(and even below average some nights), and will not get paid over 8.5m. I think Cat comes in around 6.5-7m. He had 52 points in his rookie season. And he's on pace for about 65 points this season. That doesn't translate to Panarin-esque money up around 9 or 10m.

Reactions: migi

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
I agree with @migi ..No way Oilers touch that deal.
Why do you think the Oilers won't touch that deal? I'm just asking not arguing. I don't think they would touch it either even though I tried to make it a win - win, at least from a stats perspective.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Why do you think the Oilers won't touch that deal? I'm just asking not arguing. I don't think they would touch it either even though I tried to make it a win - win, at least from a stats perspective.
I don't see them trading the best player in the deal (let's ignore that Chia is their GM with that comment lol) and I don't see them trading a top 10 D prospect when they are hurting for D. I think we over value Debrincat a bit, as well as Beaudin, and Saad, I'm not even sure if you could give him away right now.

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
Wait... you said that Drais is a bargain at 8.5 compared to what Cat will get paid. Then you said that he overvalues Cat. Which is it?

Cat isn't getting paid 10m. He's arguably a Laine-lite. He's closer to a pure goal scorer than anything, he's just average defensively(and even below average some nights), and will not get paid over 8.5m. I think Cat comes in around 6.5-7m. He had 52 points in his rookie season. And he's on pace for about 65 points this season. That doesn't translate to Panarin-esque money up around 9 or 10m.
Would you rather have Draisaitl at 8.5 or Cat at 7?

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Would you rather have Draisaitl at 8.5 or Cat at 7?

Draisaitl, I think. But I'd have to think long and hard about it.

Drais is going on his 4th year of producing to base that decision on(his first year was a partial year, and I'm not counting it). Cat only has a season and a half. Cat is on pace for around 65 points(only 6 less than Drais in his "true" sophomore year), and that's spending a lot of time on the 3rd line, with less minutes, minimal PP time(last season), and worse linemates. Cat could very easily match his production, and if he is locked up at 7m, then I obviously take Cat at the same production for less money. It's a much tougher call than @Hawkaholic just made it out to be, IMO. If Cat finishes at 65+ points... then I'm probably taking Cat at 7m, as his point production will only go up with more talent, better linemates, and more PP/overall ice time.

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
an interesting fact- Laine has scored all his goals in just 14 games...meaning 26 or so games this season Laine has not produced a goal...he then has 5 games where he got an assist and not a goal - so he has produced in only 19 games on this season out of almost 40...meaning there has been more games on the year that he did not produce in vs the ones he did...now why am I showing this - for those that think DeBrincat has to produce each and every night - the reality is it just does not happen when it comes to snipers. Outside of Ovi, most of these guys are just simply streaky, and if they aren't scoring goals they likely aren't doing much else to help.

does that mean the Jets want to trade Laine?? hahahahaha..no...you just deal with it and take the amazing with the meh...same needs to be said here for Cat, who even when he isn't producing he stays engaged away from the puck far more than Laine.. Cat had a horrible November, simple as that, but his December has been excellent same with his October..he has 27 points in 28 games if you remove November and the start to January...in his 2nd full season, I hope people realize what we have here with Cat - this kid is going to be a 40 goal plus scorer next year and beyond.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Imagine me sticking with a guy name Kaapo Kakko... LOL.
we will see what your boy does tonight against the Swiss...no offense, but I am pulling for the SWISS WAYYYYYYYY more than Finland...I want to see Kurashev get to the Gold and that team in general..let's get a pissed off Joker to come back and play strong starting next week..

nmgrbhfn

Mar 27, 2018
an interesting fact- Laine has scored all his goals in just 14 games...meaning 26 or so games this season Laine has not produced a goal...he then has 5 games where he got an assist and not a goal - so he has produced in only 19 games on this season out of almost 40...meaning there has been more games on the year that he did not produce in vs the ones he did...now why am I showing this - for those that think DeBrincat has to produce each and every night - the reality is it just does not happen when it comes to snipers. Outside of Ovi, most of these guys are just simply streaky, and if they aren't scoring goals they likely aren't doing much else to help.

does that mean the Jets want to trade Laine?? hahahahaha..no...you just deal with it and take the amazing with the meh...same needs to be said here for Cat, who even when he isn't producing he stays engaged away from the puck far more than Laine.. Cat had a horrible November, simple as that, but his December has been excellent same with his October..he has 27 points in 28 games if you remove November and the start to January...in his 2nd full season, I hope people realize what we have here with Cat - this kid is going to be a 40 goal plus scorer next year and beyond.
My positing a hypothetical trade was in no way meant to criticize Cat. The real reason I did it is I still can't believe Chia's trade, and I was wondering if this is one of those "unstated future considerations" situations like we apparently have with the yotes. It took me a while to come up with a trade but I saw the lack of scoring depth on Edmonton and Draisaitl's cap hit so my eye was drawn to him. Plus, a few people say Cat is untouchable, and I wanted to test that belief.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
My positing a hypothetical trade was in no way meant to criticize Cat. The real reason I did it is I still can't believe Chia's trade, and I was wondering if this is one of those "unstated future considerations" situations like we apparently have with the yotes. It took me a while to come up with a trade but I saw the lack of scoring depth on Edmonton and Draisaitl's cap hit so my eye was drawn to him. Plus, a few people say Cat is untouchable, and I wanted to test that belief.
I honestly wasn't even aiming for you...just been reading some posters throughout all our threads complaining now about Cat...it was just a point of reference that shows players like this will have stretches of elite play and stretches of poor play - selling on Cat right now is STILL selling way too low as he hasn't even scratched the surface yet.

Reactions: ChiHawks10
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino