Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I said a few times he will be our best D . I also think Jones will become better then Nurse . Time will tell .:nod:

Was high on Nurse.
Was high on Bear.
I am high on Bouchard.
Wasn't high or low on Klefbom despite some posts.
Am not high on Jones but liked him last year.
Am not high on Broberg.

Was also high on Marincin just in case anybody ever forgets...

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Lol. I'm confused.

I am literally saying I have no idea who was better at this point in their careers and have trouble following how anyone can even tell since points don't seem to directly correlate to success.

But it's still extremely optimistic to say Broberg will likely be better than either Klefbom or Nurse as they are right now. Repeating but his predraft assessment and draft +1 summary was not very dominate.

Sorry for any confusion I may need to time stamp various points of my posts. Broberg predraft, post draft versus Klefbom predraft, post draft, and current level of play.

Why is it "extremely optimistic" ... Broberg has more than a fair chance to be a Klefbom tier player or better.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
Oilers media hyped the heck out of Broberg in training camp and he laid an egg in his one nhl preseason game. I would hold off going too far with Broberg praise.

I never actually even insinuated Broberg was not a higher ranked prospect... I said he is not tracking like he is going to be better than either Klefbom or Nurse.

Saying Broberg is going to be better than Klefbom due to prospects ranking or points or... Broberg is alooooong ways away from a Klefbom level defender.

As for Klefbom and Broberg at the same Pont in their careers... I am flat out saying I have no idea how you gauge that.

Following conventional prospect development Klefboms success seems surprising to me. Nurse was higher touted than Broberg but Nurse was no lock to make the nhl by any means. Broberg seems worse in almost every way compared to Soderstrom who went later... Them Swedish defenders are hard to track from across the pond.

What about Broberg's game makes you think he can't become better than Klefbomb or Nurse? I'm talking more about what you've seen from his skills/package, not quantifying "he has these stats in these leagues, therefore he has 'X' % chance of success".

Also... Klefbomb isn't as good as you think he is imo. Klefbomb has been a legitimate top pairing defender in 16/17, and since then he's looked like just another run of the mill top 4 D. To me.

Reactions: B33K33PING

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I feel like last season he only focused on his defensive game and this year he's getting an opportunity to refine his offensive game, which is a huge plus
From what I saw being in attendance this was 100% the case at the u20s. In the games I saw there were multiple cases where it looked like Broberg’s instinct was to rush the puck and be more offensive, but he decided against it because his coach wanted him to play a more defensive role. I’ve seen people saying his tournament was bad but I would disagree with that big time. He did well in the role he was asked to play, and seemed happy to play that role as well. I think his willingness to adapt to whatever role the coaches want him to play is a big positive as well, don’t have to worry about a guy being unhappy with his role.

Reactions: LaGu and McTonyBrar

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Was high on Nurse.
Was high on Bear.
I am high on Bouchard.
Wasn't high or low on Klefbom despite some posts.
Am not high on Jones but liked him last year.
Am not high on Broberg.

Was also high on Marincin just in case anybody ever forgets...

no one is going to forget when you proclaimed Marincin to be way better than Klefbom over and over and over again :laugh::laugh::laugh:

guess the people questioning what you have to say about Broberg are very justified.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
A top pair of Broberg Bouchard would look good

Broberg Bouchard
Klefbom Bear
Jones Larsson
Lagesson

Pretty Swede D .

Nurse?
Defense looks ok now

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Lags Benning
Jones

Not so high on C.Jones
Prob. expansiondraft pick.

But one can dream that Chiasson or Neal gets picked.

But expansion draft = opens up other teams to deal richness for their weaknessess

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Nurse?
Defense looks ok now

Klefbom Larsson
Nurse Bear
Lags Benning
Jones

Not so high on C.Jones
Prob. expansiondraft pick.

But one can dream that Chiasson or Neal gets picked.

But expansion draft = opens up other teams to deal richness for their weaknessess

I see no scenario where Jones plays behind Lags. He’s shown much more at the NHL level to this point and his skating gives him a huge edge.

sportsfan944804

Aug 7, 2020
Coupling what we saw from him / heard about him at training camp here in the buble, then his play so far in his return to the SHL -- watching him at least, he looks like he will be elite. Wishful thinking of course, but you look at Miro Heiskanen dominating the playoffs right now with his combination of size and speed and playmaking ability. You look at Victor Hedman as well performing similarly. Not as great a skater, but so physically imposing and a wonderful passer and scorer.

Lots of guys can skate these days, but how often are they that size WITH the ability to handle the puck or make a successful read with it? Broberg seems as though he is turning out to be what we'd hoped from Nurse. Now that Nurse has shown himself to be lacking in a few areas of the game that have restricted him from becoming a true elite top pairing guy, we see a bit of promise from Broberg in the areas that Nurse fails in.

Huge, fast players. Always a good idea to draft these guys in my opinion. Sometimes they become nothing, sometimes they become serviceables NHLers, and sometimes they become stars. Well, Nurse has become a worthwhile defenceman to have on your 2nd or 3rd pairing ideally, and Broberg very well could be that star.

I personally haven't seen Nurse make a single play like the highlight Broberg had the other night in the SHL. Perhaps it's his smoothness in movement or efficiency that is so jarring between him and Nurse, but that pass he made to send the guy in was the difference between the two players. That play is the difference between a star defenceman and a serviceable one in my opinion.

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Klefbom was still relatively a long shot to eventually be as good as Klefbom is.

What's the chance a 1st round talent ranked outside the top 10 becomes a top 3 defender? 10%?

Rufus Aslegard

Jun 15, 2019
Klefbom was still relatively a long shot to eventually be as good as Klefbom is.

What's the chance a 1st round talent ranked outside the top 10 becomes a top 3 defender? 10%?

Just looked at 2008. More than 10% there.

EDIT - and more in 2007 and 2013 - just skipping around

Depending on the year between 20 to 60% of d-men drafted outside of the top 10 in the first round become top 3 d-men. So Klefbom was probably 50/50 to develop Into a top 3 d-man based on his draft position

Last edited:
Reactions: nabob and Aerchon

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011

I’d say it’s pretty high. D men drafted in the top 10 often aren’t the best D in their draft class.

Reactions: nabob

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
Skelleftea is getting destroyed. Their only down 2-0, but they're trailing 16-1 in shots and have won 1/14 faceoffs this period.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad