Prospect Info: 2019 1st Round Pick: Philip Broberg Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
What was the great development path Klefbom was on?

He had 5 points in his last 44 SEL games.

I just don't get the SHL and projecting nhl defensemen.

Guys like Persson even should come over and be ppg.

Klefbom and Brodin were considered locks to be nhlers despite meh numbers for both and limited opportunities. Brodin the 2 way guy and Klefbom the offensive defenseman... With little or no way to confirm this statistically.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Klefbom and Brodin were considered locks to be nhlers despite meh numbers for both and limited opportunities. Brodin the 2 way guy and Klefbom the offensive defenseman... With little or no way to confirm this statistically.

Broberg was ranked higher than Klefbom was in his draft by many scouts, why you act like this is some stretch pick the Oilers made that was like some no-name player is beyond me.

His development is looking real good. To act like Klefbom was miles ahead at this point of his development is simply false.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
There is literally nothing to suggest Broberg is better than or will even be in the same ballpark of any of the names listed above.

This isn't a crazy statement.

I hope to heck I'm wrong about this pick but let's hold off the extremely premature revisionist history that would suggest what the posters above are suggesting.

If Broberg becomes better than Klefbom and /or Nurse, which is not likely with his development to date, Holland will certainly be considered a Swedish defenseman whisperer.

Why lol. I don't think the bar is that high tbh.

Right now Broberg has people rethinking whether Bouchard is the #1 prospect in our system or not.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Huh? How is it not likely with his development?? His development is on the right path, just like how Klefbom and Nurse were. Hell, it could be even better than their development because he's doing well in a pro league at age 19.

What the heck are you talking about? I always am dumfounded at your biased posts.

Plus, you aren't even following the player pretty much at all so you shouldn't have a say in his development
It’s because chiarelli didn’t draft him

Reactions: McTonyBrar

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Oilers are fortuante to have both Broberg and Bouchard. Bouchard does a lot of things we need too.

Broberg may have more of a "wow" factor because his skating and offensive activation is so much more noticable.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Broberg was ranked higher than Klefbom was in his draft by many scouts, why you act like this is some stretch pick the Oilers made that was like some no-name player is beyond me.

His development is looking real good. To act like Klefbom was miles ahead at this point of his development is simply false.

Right now Broberg has people rethinking whether Bouchard is the #1 prospect in our system or not.

Oilers media hyped the heck out of Broberg in training camp and he laid an egg in his one nhl preseason game. I would hold off going too far with Broberg praise.

I never actually even insinuated Broberg was not a higher ranked prospect... I said he is not tracking like he is going to be better than either Klefbom or Nurse.

Saying Broberg is going to be better than Klefbom due to prospects ranking or points or... Broberg is alooooong ways away from a Klefbom level defender.

As for Klefbom and Broberg at the same Pont in their careers... I am flat out saying I have no idea how you gauge that.

Following conventional prospect development Klefboms success seems surprising to me. Nurse was higher touted than Broberg but Nurse was no lock to make the nhl by any means. Broberg seems worse in almost every way compared to Soderstrom who went later... Them Swedish defenders are hard to track from across the pond.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers media hyped the heck out of Broberg in training camp and he laid an egg in his one nhl preseason game. I would hold off going too far with Broberg praise.

I never actually even insinuated Broberg was not a higher ranked prospect... I said he is not tracking like he is going to be better than either Klefbom or Nurse.

Saying Broberg is going to be better than Klefbom due to prospects ranking or points or... Broberg is alooooong ways away from a Klefbom level defender.

As for Klefbom and Broberg at the same Pont in their careers... I am flat out saying I have no idea how you gauge that

Following conventional prospect development Klefboms success seems surprising to me. Nurse was higher touted than Broberg but Nurse was no lock to make the nhl by any means. Broberg seems worse in almost every way compared to Soderstrom who went later... Them Swedish defenders are hard to track from across the pond.

Basing a lot on one freaking pre-season game where any 19 year old would be nervous is such utter bullshit and you know it.

There are probably a dozen Norris trophy winners that were on the verge of shitting their pants the first time they played an actual NHL game.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Basing a lot on one freaking pre-season game where any 19 year old would be nervous is such utter bullshit and you know it.

There are probably a dozen Norris trophy winners that were on the verge of shitting their pants the first time they played an actual NHL game.

So much wrong with this. Please don't pull a Mac T and start inferring Broberg has Norris level potential. It's a kiss of death at best. Foolish beyond all at worst.

I am basing this off watching almost every minute of every game at the world juniors last year, following his stats and usage in the SHL last year, and one very suboptimal preseason game. Broberg was pretty bad his draft +1 year and I don't know how anyone can polish that turd to shine.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
So much wrong with this. Please don't pull a Mac T and start inferring Broberg has Norris level potential. It's a kiss of death at best. Foolish beyond all at worst.

I am basing this off watching almost every minute of every game at the world juniors last year, following his stats and usage in the SHL last year, and one very suboptimal preseason game. Broberg was pretty bad his draft +1 year and I don't know how anyone can polish that turd to shine.

I'm saying even the best players ever are nervous as f*** in their first time on NHL ice in an actual game. Putting a ton of stock into that is just stupid and you know it. Connor McDavid looked mediocre in his first time playing against NHL pros.

Broberg was always ranked as a relatively high 1st round pick, not just by the Oilers but by many scouting services.

The fact that he is showing well now quite frankly isn't that surprising. You act like this is some 5th round pick, gimme a break.

If you by your own admission say you can't make heads or tails of Swedish D development (probably because you realized after being called out on it that Klefbom infact was not really anywhere sky high at the same point in his development), maybe you should stop with the definitive statements and acting like you're an expert on Broberg.

Last edited:

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I'm saying even the best players ever are nervous as f*** in their first time on NHL ice in an actual game. Putting a ton of stock into that is just stupid and you know it.

Broberg was always ranked as a relatively high 1st round pick, not just by the Oilers but by many scouting services.

The fact that he is showing well now quite frankly isn't that surprising. You act like this is some 5th round pick, gimme a break.

Unfortunately, due to the Stauffer leak, I and many Oilers fans looked into Broberg predraft. The vast majority of pundits and posters on this board thought Broberg a reach at 8. A very big reach. Scouting had him 14 to 28. There's a pretty big gap between say... Zegras consensus 7the OA and 21st OA consensus Broberg. One pundit called the Oilers picking Broberg "A very Oilers thing to do. Trying to be he smartest person in the room at the draft".

Broberg was a reach. He also is still a legit first round talent. I don't think his predraft play/ranking or his post draft ranking has of yet "proven" anything yet.

I am of course extremely excited you be wrong about taking Broberg over Zegras and while his season debut was outstanding he has a lòoooooong ways to go.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Unfortunately, due to the Stauffer leak, I and many Oilers fans looked into Broberg predraft. The vast majority of pundits and posters on this board thought Broberg a reach at 8. A very big reach. Scouting had him 14 to 28. There's a pretty big gap between say... Zegras consensus 7the OA and 21st OA consensus Broberg. One pundit called the Oilers picking Broberg "A very Oilers thing to do. Trying to be he smartest person in the room at the draft".

Broberg was a reach. He also is still a legit first round talent. I don't think his predraft play/ranking or his post draft ranking has of yet "proven" anything yet.

I am of course extremely excited you be wrong about taking Broberg over Zegras and while his season debut was outstanding he has a lòoooooong ways to go.

If you preferred Zegras, that's fine, but when you go on rants acting like the kid is some 3rd tier prospect and insinuating Klefbom was miles ahead of him when he was chosen or making sweeping statements over an NHL pre-season debut (lol) ... c'mon dude.

That shit is just dumb.

I liked Zegras too, but based on what I'm seeing this kid being able to do, I'm not sure I'd redo that pick at all. We badly need a player exactly like this.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
What was the great development path Klefbom was on?

He had 5 points in his last 44 SEL games.

Your point? Klefbom wasn't on top pairing and he didn't have much PP time. Did you watch his games?

Your pessimism is so depressing wow

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

Maybe they knew from watching the players play instead of stats and spreadsheets?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Your point? Klefbom wasn't on top pairing and he didn't have much PP time. Did you watch his games?

Your pessimism is so depressing wow

What are you talking about? I'm replying to Aercheron saying Broberg is miles behind Klefbom ... when Klefbom was not burning up the SEL at that age either. Broberg has every opportunity to be as good or better than Klefbom.

How is that pessimism?

Reactions: Aerchon

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018

As for Klefbom and Broberg at the same Pont in their careers... I am flat out saying I have no idea how you gauge that.

Was a 19 year old supposed to hold is own in his first pro game and stun everyone by scoring a hat trick or something? You're so delusional

Reactions: Leo360

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
If you preferred Zegras, that's fine, but when you go on rants acting like the kid is some 3rd tier prospect and insinuating Klefbom was miles ahead of him when he was chosen or making sweeping statements over an NHL pre-season debut (lol) ... c'mon dude.

That shit is just dumb.

I liked Zegras too, but based on what I'm seeing this kid being able to do, I'm not sure I'd redo that pick at all. We badly need a player exactly like this.

What are you talking about? I'm replying to Aercheron saying Broberg is miles behind Klefbom ... when Klefbom was not burning up the SEL at that age either. Broberg has every opportunity to be as good or better than Klefbom.

How is that pessimism?

Lol. I'm confused.

I am literally saying I have no idea who was better at this point in their careers and have trouble following how anyone can even tell since points don't seem to directly correlate to success.

But it's still extremely optimistic to say Broberg will likely be better than either Klefbom or Nurse as they are right now. Repeating but his predraft assessment and draft +1 summary was not very dominate.

Sorry for any confusion I may need to time stamp various points of my posts. Broberg predraft, post draft versus Klefbom predraft, post draft, and current level of play.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad