Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Brynas IF Gavle (SweHL) D Victor Soderstrom

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
This caption leads me to believe he's confident he's getting 9 games. I love it. Also, kid looks great in that jersey and the number 77.
Screenshot_20190918-203154_Instagram.jpg

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The proverbial "cup of coffee" AKA 9 game NHL tryout

They will give him a taste of an NHL paycheck, then gently state their preference for Tucson, so he's easily recalled to earn more of said paycheck.

Goligoski needs to step up because this kid is coming for his job.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You could give him nine games in Tucson and send him back home, I guess...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
They will give him a taste of an NHL paycheck, then gently state their preference for Tucson, so he's easily recalled to earn more of said paycheck.

Goligoski needs to step up because this kid is coming for his job.
He's a RD. I think all our D are safe this year, Soderstrom gives us more depth.

Last edited:

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
Biggest failure of the offseason in my mind was not finding a way to get rid of Goligoski. He was deplorable during large stretches last season. Would love for Soderstrom to take his job.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
What's the expansion-rules, can he play two full seasons, and still be auto-protected as ineligible?

Edit, answering myself:

"All first- and second-year professionals, as well as all unsigned draft choices, will be exempt from selection (and will not be counted toward their club's applicable protection limits)."

So neither him nor Hayton needs protection then -even if they play this two seasons.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Biggest failure of the offseason in my mind was not finding a way to get rid of Goligoski. He was deplorable during large stretches last season. Would love for Soderstrom to take his job.

He will. Not this season, but he's clearly slated for it.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

Goligoski is an excellent player. To all opposing fans and GMs reading this thread: you should really go into a bidding war here.

Seriously, he was just-7 on a team being -24,815. Not so bad.

Reactions: Mosby

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
IMO there is absolutely no reason to send Soderstrom back to Europe. He already has experience in a high level league over there. In fact, the only reason that I would put him in Tucson is to get him more experienced on the narrower sheet of ice. In every other way, he is ready for the NHL as a 2nd pair right now.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
IMO there is absolutely no reason to send Soderstrom back to Europe. He already has experience in a high level league over there. In fact, the only reason that I would put him in Tucson is to get him more experienced on the narrower sheet of ice. In every other way, he is ready for the NHL as a 2nd pair right now.
There are some reasons. One is the emotional development of a teenager being important. Also the fact that the SHL is a better league than the AHL and Brynas is a much better program than Tucson. He'll have access to a higher caliber of resources and competition there. That organization was already in the middle of developing this player extremely well, and he was on a great track there, anyhow. If he feels more comfortable there, and that's where he wants to be, it's also a really good option.

But Tucson is close to Phoenix and the big club can keep eyes on him and play an active role in his development here as he learns the North American way both on and off the ice, which should speed up the transition process that we would otherwise be pushing off another year. However, it might be better to push it off if he's not ready to be a teenager thousands of miles from home in a strange land. Sending him back to Sweden is certainly the safer option. And it's not a bad option. He'll improve and develop in a good league, for a good program.

If he's gung-ho to stay in North America and try to fight his way back up to the NHL from the AHL this season, and he thinks going home is a step backward, then I'd be happy to have him stay, too. I really believe Victor is the deciding factor on which option is best. I wouldn't want to make him feel forced into staying or rejected or stunted by being sent home. I'd really leave it mostly up to him.

Last edited:

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
If he's gung-ho to stay in North America and try to fight his way back up to the NHL from the AHL this season, and he thinks going home is a step backward, then I'd be happy to have him stay, too. I really believe Victor is the deciding factor on which option is best. I wouldn't want to make him feel forced into staying or rejected or stunted by being sent home. I'd really leave it mostly up to him.

If we didn't own OEL and Hjalmarsson (and now Soderberg), I'd be fine with sending him back to Sweden. I think with those three around to help him out - basically being a text or call away if they're needed - it gives Soderstrom a bit more cushion to stay in North America.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
It might as well be 20. OEL, Soderberg and Hjalmarsson have probably never set foot in the city of Tucson and probably never will. How are they supposed to mentor a kid that’s two hours away? FaceTime?

OEL went down to watch his brother a few times.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad