Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Brynas IF Gavle (SweHL) D Victor Soderstrom

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
It might as well be 20. OEL, Soderberg and Hjalmarsson have probably never set foot in the city of Tucson and probably never will. How are they supposed to mentor a kid that’s two hours away? FaceTime?
I don't see the big deal here. It's not 20 hours. It's a straight highway shot and it takes less than 2 hours on most days. Easy to come up in the morning, spend the day with the Swedes, and then drive back that evening. Or, OEL could hire a limo to pick him up in Tucson. Or, our rook could take the Arizona shuttle from U of A campus to Sky Harbor and OEL could pick him up there.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
It might as well be 20. OEL, Soderberg and Hjalmarsson have probably never set foot in the city of Tucson and probably never will. How are they supposed to mentor a kid that’s two hours away? FaceTime?

OEL and Hjalmarsson played in the AHL at one point in their careers, and OEL spent some time with Kevin in Tucson IIRC. Believe me, as someone who went to live in a foreign country for a few years when I was 18, it helps immensely if you have someone nearby who at least speaks your language and understands your national context, even if you only have access to them intermittently. OEL in particular can give him a lot of info about being sent to the A and shuttled back and forth for a season. Soderstrom doesn't have to figure everything out on his own, is what I'm saying.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
OEL and Hjalmarsson played in the AHL at one point in their careers, and OEL spent some time with Kevin in Tucson IIRC. Believe me, as someone who went to live in a foreign country for a few years when I was 18, it helps immensely if you have someone nearby who at least speaks your language and understands your national context, even if you only have access to them intermittently. OEL in particular can give him a lot of info about being sent to the A and shuttled back and forth for a season. Soderstrom doesn't have to figure everything out on his own, is what I'm saying.
Your point is completely on target if Soderstrom makes the NHL squad and I could not agree more. It's completely irrelevant if he's in Tucson, where he'll have very close to zero meaningful contact with the guys on the NHL squad. Both teams are on the road 50% of the time, and they go to different cities. Swedish Coyotes are no help to Swedish Roadrunners.

If he's up and down all year, I'm with you. 100% agree. If he's sent down during camp and doesn't come back up, he's pretty much on his own.

Reactions: Mosby

helax

General Hockey Fan
Apr 2, 2013
Trust Brynäs, we know how to develop Dmen, one more year for Söderström back home will do him good. Look at our recent track record, we will take good care of him :)
Adam Boqvist - Leaf
Rasmus Sandin - Leaf

Last edited:
Reactions: lanky and _Del_

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
What does he need to improve upon? In my admittedly limited time watching him I didn’t see any holes in his game. Serious question.

Dr VinnyBoombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Soderstrom needs to improve overall quickness/speed. He's as smooth as they come, but he's not fast, not as slow as Gormley though, he can certainly keep up with the NHL pace

Other than that, he's got all the tools

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Soderstrom needs to improve overall quickness/speed. He's as smooth as they come, but he's not fast, not as slow as Gormley though, he can certainly keep up with the NHL pace

He can't improve that in Brynas. The big ice is not a place where you develop explosiveness on skates.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004

Interesting. When I watched him at the U18s I thought he was exceptionally mobile in an all compass kind of way. Not as breathtaking at full gallop as someone like Broberg, of course, but really great overall skating and mobility. Just kind of boring to me. Haha. Non-descript.

rt

May 13, 2004
Sounds like he has to totally blow the doors off in the last few preseason games if he has any chance at all to make it. Tocchet doesn’t really seem open to the possibility. Feels like he didn’t have much of an open mind to begin with.

From Morgan’s latest Athletic piece...
“What’s the plan with Victor Söderström? Tocchet said the Coyotes will keep Söderström with them for the next week to gain experience. He will accompany the team on its preseason road trip to Edmonton, Vancouver and Anaheim, but with the defense corps “pretty set,” he is not expected to remain with the team for the regular season.

The Coyotes have likely decided where Söderström will play next season, but they have not divulged that publicly”

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Sounds like he has to totally blow the doors off in the last few preseason games if he has any chance at all to make it. Tocchet doesn’t really seem open to the possibility. Feels like he didn’t have much of an open mind to begin with.

From Morgan’s latest Athletic piece...
“What’s the plan with Victor Söderström? Tocchet said the Coyotes will keep Söderström with them for the next week to gain experience. He will accompany the team on its preseason road trip to Edmonton, Vancouver and Anaheim, but with the defense corps “pretty set,” he is not expected to remain with the team for the regular season.

The Coyotes have likely decided where Söderström will play next season, but they have not divulged that publicly”

Im good with this

Reactions: DoanStopBelievin

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
With the entry-level slide, having him play 9 games in NHL, and then the year in Tucson, means the organization gets him an extra year before the massive RFA contracts sets in... and then the year of adjustment is more or less for free. That is if he needs one year of adjustment. If he is mature now this doesn't apply as you then actually want him as quickly as possibly. So I don't know. Depends on how much better he will be in a year. But also, as the defence looks good now, it should be right to postpone inserting him.

Oh, I'm just blabbering eh... :laugh:

rt

May 13, 2004
Im good with this
This was followed by Chayka quotes wherein he weighed the pros and cons of SEL (mental and emotional comfort) vs AHL (adapting to NA ice and game style). He said that they’ll all work together to come up with the best game plan for Victor and they are not going to dismiss his personal comfort in the evaluation. Chayka wants to be very careful with this kid. It was encouraging to read. He hasn’t lost sight of the fact that they drafted a human. And that Soderstrom’s soft skills were a big part of the equation. They won’t damage him.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

rt

May 13, 2004
With the entry-level slide, having him play 9 games in NHL, and then the year in Tucson, means the organization gets him an extra year before the massive RFA contracts sets in... and then the year of adjustment is more or less for free. That is if he needs one year of adjustment. If he is mature now this doesn't apply as you then actually want him as quickly as possibly. So I don't know. Depends on how much better he will be in a year. But also, as the defence looks good now, it should be right to postpone inserting him.

Oh, I'm just blabbering eh... :laugh:
His contract won’t slide in Tucson. AHL will burn a year of ELC. I’m pretty sure, anyway. I’ll look up Liljegren to double check.

rt

May 13, 2004
EDIT: just looked up Liljegren. His first TWO seasons in the AHL seem to have BOTH slid his ELC. I’ve been wrong this whole time (assuming CapFriendly is correct). So the AHL vs SEL decision does not seem to have any ELC consideration. That’s a relief!!!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
EDIT: just looked up Liljegren. His first TWO seasons in the AHL seem to have BOTH slid his ELC. I’ve been wrong this whole time (assuming CapFriendly is correct). So the AHL vs SEL decision does not seem to have any ELC consideration. That’s a relief!!!

I thought it was explained that players under a certain age in the AHL still slide?

If a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years of age (as of September 15 of the signing year), does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games (including both regular season and playoffs; AHL games do not count), their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year. For example, if a player signed an ELC for three seasons from 2015-16 to 2017-2018, and their contract slides, their contract is now effective from 2016-17 to 2018-19. An exception to this rule is that if the player is 19 on September 15 of the first year of their contract, and turns 20 between September 16 and December 31, their contract does not slide.

Players who sign at 18 years old are eligible to have their contracted extended for 2 seasons. This extension does not apply if the player turns 20 between September 16 and December 31 in his signing year. Signing bonuses do not slide, and are paid to the player regardless of a slide, this causes the annual average of the players contract to change, and therefore the cap hit decreases for this player.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This was followed by Chayka quotes wherein he weighed the pros and cons of SEL (mental and emotional comfort) vs AHL (adapting to NA ice and game style). He said that they’ll all work together to come up with the best game plan for Victor and they are not going to dismiss his personal comfort in the evaluation. Chayka wants to be very careful with this kid. It was encouraging to read. He hasn’t lost sight of the fact that they drafted a human. And that Soderstrom’s soft skills were a big part of the equation. They won’t damage him.

Wait, I thought Chayka didn't care about humans... :sarcasm:

Reactions: BUX7PHX

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->