Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Brynas IF Gavle (SweHL) D Victor Soderstrom

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
That would be a huge mistake
Soderstrom, you may well be right. For Hayton, he's done all that he can do in Juniors and rather than "percolate", he will stagnate. He needs sheltered minutes in the NHL since the AHL option is not open to him.

Jagged Ice

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2011
Central Phoenix
For Hayton, he's done all that he can do in Juniors and rather than "percolate", he will stagnate. He needs sheltered minutes in the NHL since the AHL option is not open to him.
Hayton just turned 19 this month. If he's that ready, let him dominate the OHL. It won't hurt him to stay in SSM. He'll get much more playing time.

Reactions: Yandover and rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Soderstrom, you may well be right. For Hayton, he's done all that he can do in Juniors and rather than "percolate", he will stagnate. He needs sheltered minutes in the NHL since the AHL option is not open to him.
No player has ever stagnated. That’s a complete myth with absolutely no basis in reality.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun
I'd be surprised if Hayton wasn't in the NHL this next year. Heard Tocc on Burns and Gambo the other day and he sounded like he 100% expects him to be in his lineup this year

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Turris wasn't ready...he didn't tear up the NCAA, in fact it was the opposite. He only had 35pts in 36 games with only had 11 goals. Plenty of top selected players come in and put up superior numbers. Turris' numbers were pedestrian in comparison. He forced his way onto the lineup and TGO obliged. He felt compelled, some of it had to do with Boedker performing so well at camp and took all the spotlight from Turris at rookie camp. He could have used more seasoning, but he was absolutely misused when he was with the Yotes for sure, no doubt.

If the kids are good enough to play, they need to play in the top 6. If they can't play in the top 6, then let them stay down...ala Domi.

Reactions: rt

rt

May 13, 2004
Turris wasn't ready...he didn't tear up the NCAA, in fact it was the opposite. He only had 35pts in 36 games with only had 11 goals. Plenty of top selected players come in and put up superior numbers. Turris' numbers were pedestrian in comparison. He forced his way onto the lineup and TGO obliged. He felt compelled, some of it had to do with Boedker performing so well at camp and took all the spotlight from Turris at rookie camp. He could have used more seasoning, but he was absolutely misused when he was with the Yotes for sure, no doubt.

If the kids are good enough to play, they need to play in the top 6. If they can't play in the top 6, then let them stay down...ala Domi.
Correct.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I'm guessing they give him one year before they try to get him into the lineup. He's smart and passes well which instantly puts him into the Chayka mancrush zone. He plays his gaps really well, too. I would love to see some more development in his offense before we rush him into an NHL spot.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Let him be the guy now that Frost is gone. Instead of a fourth line winger.

I want him to absolutely crush it before we start crushing him.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
There's a strange mix of Hayton and Soderstrom talk in this thread. We should be patient with both of them. I think our coaches and mgmt understand this well.

I hope both stay where they were last season.

Reactions: rt

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
OEL didn't play a complete season as a Coyote until age 20. He split age 19 between Phoenix and San Antonio.

Hanzal also 20 before 1st NHL season.

Doan didn't play in Phoenix until age 20. (he was 19 for 1st season in Winnipeg though ;-))

Hayton just turned 19 this month. I don't think one more year in JRs is a tragedy or will "ruin" him if he doesn't see NHL ice til age 20.

Last edited:
Reactions: mouser

rt

May 13, 2004
What about Soderstrom playing in the AHL?
He’s already in the better of the two leagues. Also, the better equipped team. Brynas is basically the Plaza Hotel compared to the Motel 6 of the Tucson Roadrunners. Adapting to smaller ice is important, but I wouldn’t ask him to downgrade so severely this early on. He’s developing in a good place, a good organization, a good league and good and far away from our mess. I say we leave our stain off him as long as possible.

rt

May 13, 2004
OEL didn't play a complete season as a Coyote until age 20. He split age 19 between Phoenix and San Antonio.

Hanzal also 20 before 1st NHL season.

Doan didn't play in Phoenix until age 20. (he was 19 for 1st season in Winnipeg though ;-))

Hayton just turned 19 this month. I don't think one more year in JRs is a tragedy or will "ruin" him if he doesn't see NHL ice til age 20.
One more year in junior had literally never ruined any prospect ever.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
You don't like to see players leap into the NHL until they are 20 or so. Some players can make the jump and perhaps Hayton and Soderstrom are two of them.
That's why they have training camp and pre-season. Both D and C are hard to crack the NHL roster first year, much harder than a winger.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad