Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Brynas IF Gavle (SweHL) D Victor Soderstrom

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Right. That’s what I saw with Liljegren. I just had no idea because it’s so rare for 18/19 YOs to play in the AHL. It’s really a bit of a unicorn.
Don't even get started on unicorns, miserable creatures. Nobody here watches Legends of Tomorrow? Check out the episode with the unicorn.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
This was followed by Chayka quotes wherein he weighed the pros and cons of SEL (mental and emotional comfort) vs AHL (adapting to NA ice and game style). He said that they’ll all work together to come up with the best game plan for Victor and they are not going to dismiss his personal comfort in the evaluation. Chayka wants to be very careful with this kid. It was encouraging to read. He hasn’t lost sight of the fact that they drafted a human. And that Soderstrom’s soft skills were a big part of the equation. They won’t damage him.

Contrary to belief that any player brought in will be damaged beyond repair to the point where we have to trade them? Even though there may have been players that were not specifically drafted by Chayka, he still has to take ownership of developing them. Fortunately, it appears that in the past 4 drafts, we have taken players who appear to be very heavily self-motivated and looking to improve on their own internal knowledge of what needs to be improved.

I never once ever felt as if though I had to question the work ethic of any one of POJ, Chychrun, Keller, Soderstrom, or Hayton, especially with the fact that they will use that to continue to see their skill rise.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

RABBIT

My Yearly Sponsorship has relocated to Houston
Oct 21, 2008
“Ted’s dead baby. TEDs Dead”
Double post from the roster discussion thread, I'm almost a little bummed but i think this is the best move. Go play against men in the most comfortable environment for you. Come back in a year and demand a top-2 spot

Reactions: Name Nameless

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Lame they kept him this late and didn't even get him in some games. Guessing he chose the SHL over Tucson, can't blame him.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Come back in a year and demand a top-2 spot

We'll give him 2 years for that, if he beats OEL's time table to being a top pairing minutes D we'll call it a pleasant surprise we're due once a decade.

Soderstrom seems more apt to the NA game than OEL did though at the same age. I'm quite sure he could handle bottom pairing minutes if we really needed him here. Ollie had flashes his first season but really benefited from being sent to the AHL at 19 to get used to the NHL style after his 18 year old season in Sweden. And he kinda did it backwards even, starting in the NHL then going back down at the end of the year.
A year later he was our best defensive D leading Coyotes skaters in ToI in the playoffs....

Reactions: RABBIT

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Lame they kept him this late and didn't even get him in some games. Guessing he chose the SHL over Tucson, can't blame him.

Do what's best for him. Can't see anything lame with that.

Reactions: Jakey53

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
According to this Swedish site: Stortalangen nobbade NHL-chansen – för att spela i Brynäs - Hockeysverige
(perhaps you get a google-translate of it?) -it says he elected to move home, as he had in his contract he could choose to go home to Sweden if the offer was to start in the AHL. He said that the plan the team gave him was to start in the A with a promise to call him up later, but then he said he elected to go home. He also said to get that right in the contract was very important for him when he signed. According to the reporters, he is expected to be near-guaranteed a roster spot with the Yotes next year.

Last edited:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
We haven’t developed this prospect. He’s as good as he is as a result of his own talent and work ethic but also the guiding hand and support of the Brynas system. We should be grateful that Brynas has done such a great job with him and glad that they get another year to continue with this process. He’s in capable hands.

Honestly, I trust the Brynas organization more than ours anyway. After another year with that club, he will be just that much more difficult for our club to wreck.

ParisSaintGermain

Jan 19, 2004
A move that both player and organisation are agreeing about - sounds good to me. Happy this has been worked out before the season started to avoid any grey area in the player's mind.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
WJC just got more interesting.

Yes, always enjoy watching it more when your team has prospects in it.

I think this is the right move. Tucson could have been great for call ups but I also want to see Capo get some shots. Soderstrom was wildly impressive during camp. I hope he can begin turning some heads by going back to an area he is more comfortable in.

Name Nameless

Apr 12, 2017
Anyone know why he was loaned to a team in the Allsvenskan rather than an SHL team?

I am fairly sure I've read SHL-teams didn't want NHL-players they would lose the moment NHL started up again this season, so it's always Allsvenskan this year. They were afraid to get overrun.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I am fairly sure I've read SHL-teams didn't want NHL-players they would lose the moment NHL started up again this season, so it's always Allsvenskan this year. They were afraid to get overrun.
That's fair, but I guess I'm surprised that Soderstrom would be viewed this way. Especially with the AHL being up in the air.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->