Prospect Info: 2019 #11 - Brynas IF Gavle (SweHL) D Victor Soderstrom

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Does anyone know how STL handled prospects like Soderstrom?

Borderline NHL readiness and hasn't played on the smaller ice before? Personally I'd like him to play 20ish games in Tucson to adjust before a call up. Unless he looks like a definite top 4 dman in preseason.

A lot a stake for GMBA with handling Soderstrom, almost no other D prospects.

Reactions: Ghostface Keller

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
STL had Parayko and Dunn but I dont think you'll learn anything relevant from those cases.

Given that only Chychrun and OEL are the only 2 defensemen under contract after 2021, they should be keen to maximise the experience Soderstrom can gain while being sheltered by the vets. Those vets are only going to be around for 50ish games if we fail to make the playoffs as they'll get sold off. So if you reduce that by another 20 games, that's less sheltering available.

The priority is to see if he can step up to being a top 4 defenseman aged 21 in 2021/2. I dont think its worth the disruption of settling in Tucson and then moving him after 6-8 weeks to another team. Obviously still has to show he deserves a spot in preseason.

Reactions: lanky

sergejean

Dec 11, 2007
How's Soderstrom progressing this season? From stat watching he seems to be productive in the AHL but not in the NHL. On the other hand he seems to be playing well balanced minutes at both end of the ice and rounding up his complete game.

Anyone has seen him lately and care to share their observations?

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
How's Soderstrom progressing this season? From stat watching he seems to be productive in the AHL but not in the NHL. On the other hand he seems to be playing well balanced minutes at both end of the ice and rounding up his complete game.

I wouldn’t pay too much attention to NHL stays this season (that goes for any player.)

From what I’ve seen, he passes the eye test. Shaky, nervous (understandably) but other times really poised. Doesn’t look like he’ll be an offensive dynamo, but a solid 2-way puck moving defenseman

Reactions: hbk and sergejean

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

He looks good. No bad decisions, not much opportunity to showcase his playmaking. Not worried about this player at all.

Team sure plays better with him in the lineup vs Stralman.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018

He's too good for the AHL right now, definitely one of the best players on the ice in Tucson along with Jenik. I think as he gets more experience and confidence in the NHL you'll see more point production as he has some cheeky moves in his arsenal.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
He doesn't appear to be as physically NHL ready (or adept at avoiding big hits) as Moser. He needs to cook in Tucson...and add a few pounds in the off-season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad