NFL: 2018 Training Camp Discussion thread

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
Teams have fitness tests before training camp and mini camp starts. If the player doesn't pass he is put on the PUP list until he's in shape. So yeah stay wrong and keep appealing to authority.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I know two Super Bowl winners.

Unless they play fat boy positions, it doesn't work like that. They stay in shape. The guys the Chargers are having get hurt don't play those positions, and the vast majority of those guys come to camp in shape anyway.

Kel Varnson

Oct 31, 2017
Looks like it was an ankle sprain but left in a boot and with crutches so that's not good.

I pray to god it's nothing serious. It'd be very Chargers to go from an elite secondary to Casey Heyward and a bunch of randoms in less than a week. :help:
Reports before the Williams injury that they were also looking at bringing in DRC, needless to say if Trevor is out for any significant amount of time they'd probably pull the trigger on that.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Also, here's a bit on ACL injuries that I was talking about earlier

So why have ACL tears not declined with decreased practices and contact mandated in the current CBA, which was agreed upon prior to the 2011 season?

The answer is that the vast majority of ACL tears are non-contact injuries. Eliminating contact practices does not help. In addition, with the practice limited, practices in today’s NFL are conducted at a higher tempo. High-speed cutting is where the ACL is most vulnerable.

Another big factor is that while athletes get bigger, faster and stronger, the girth of the ACL remains the same. It is like planting a bigger tree in the same size pot. Something has to give.

So are athletes too big, fast and strong?

Certainly, better nutrition and training have produced a new generation of players that inevitably stress the ACL to the max.

An additional potential factor in the abundance of ACL tears is the use of artificial surfaces. The better the footing, the higher risk for ACL tear. For example, games in wet weather rarely have ACL tears. Think of it this way: the point of a ski binding is to have the boot release when the ski is stuck in the snow to prevent ACL tears. Beginners want the binding loose and Olympians crank the bindings tight for better performance but take the risk of injury.

The old-style Astroturf surface was notorious for ligament tears. The new sport grass is better, but still not quite as good as natural grass, which has the most give.

For all that — with the increase in strength, size and speed — even if NFL had all natural grass fields, mandatory prevention exercises, mandated knee braces and eliminated the preseason, the majority of ACL tears would continue.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Still just camp, but he and DJ Moore are getting glowing reviews. Even Ian Thomas has had some positive reports and might win the TE2 job right off the bat with Chris Manhertz out with an injury. Liking this draft so far, but it's early.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

This is interesting. Will follow to see if the data holds up.

I've seen a few people saying this for Carolina, and the offensive line is a major concern, but I still have confidence in their season. I get the data, but they played a lot of close games because they couldn't hold a two-score 4th quarter lead because Shula got ultra conservative with playcalling, not because they were in a battle all game long.

Bills - Close win
Patriots - Led 30-16 with 9:00 left
Lions - Led 27-10 with 6:00 left
Falcons - Led 20-10 with 3:30 left
Jets - Led 32-20 with 10:00 left
Vikings - Close win
Packers - Led 31-17 with 12:30 left
Bucs - Close win

If they suck, well, it wouldn't be surprising. They're the most erratic team in the NFL. They're going to win 5 games or 15.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I've seen a few people saying this for Carolina, and the offensive line is a major concern, but I still have confidence in their season. I get the data, but they played a lot of close games because they couldn't hold a two-score 4th quarter lead because Shula got ultra conservative with playcalling, not because they were in a battle all game long.

Bills - Close win
Patriots - Led 30-16 with 9:00 left
Lions - Led 27-10 with 6:00 left
Falcons - Led 20-10 with 3:30 left
Jets - Led 32-20 with 10:00 left
Vikings - Close win
Packers - Led 31-17 with 12:30 left
Bucs - Close win

If they suck, well, it wouldn't be surprising. They're the most erratic team in the NFL. They're going to win 5 games or 15.
Despite winning the division 3 years in a row at one point, we've still never had back to back winning seasons. If that isn't illustrative of your last point, I don't know what is.

Reactions: What the Faulk

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

The Texans were doing fine before Watson got hurt. Don't know if they would've made the playoffs, but they predictably were dreadful afterward. Watson was tied for the lead in touchdowns.

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
The Texans were doing fine before Watson got hurt. Don't know if they would've made the playoffs, but they predictably were dreadful afterward. Watson was tied for the lead in touchdowns.

They still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Smith and his agents should hold their ground. You shouldn't be able to void guarantees for something that happens on the field. The player is already losing game checks if he gets suspended and that's more than enough punishment.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Yep Bears tried to turn story against Smith and his agents with "Leak" designed to make him look bad

The initial leak from last week was also from Bears and now the narrative shifts after the negative fan/press backlash

Bears are as usual showing true colors and are disgrace as ever. Though a lot of meathead fans are eating the shit shoveled to media today as gospel because for some reason some Bear fans still give McCaskey's , Phillips and Pace benefit of doubt

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

I don't think it is fair to put Texans in there

They were 3-3 with Watson , 1-9 without him

They are likely in fight for AFC South with healthy Watson and the struggles of this past year are pretty much on losing Watson , Watts and Mercilus all within a 3 week span early in season

They still wouldn't have made the playoffs.

How do you know that?

They played in AFC South and with healthy Watson they could have possibly gone 8-8 or 9-7 which could have been playoff quality given the entire division potentially is altered with presence of Watson

They had one game against each Ten and Jax to play before losing Watt , Watson and Mercilus so its not unreasonable to think they could have won those games with Watson as well as additional games and been in playoff fight

Gene Parmesan

Jul 23, 2009
California
I don't think it is fair to put Texans in there

They were 3-3 with Watson , 1-9 without him

They are likely in fight for AFC South with healthy Watson and the struggles of this past year are pretty much on losing Watson , Watts and Mercilus all within a 3 week span early in season

How do you know that?

They played in AFC South and with healthy Watson they could have possibly gone 8-8 or 9-7 which could have been playoff quality given the entire division potentially is altered with presence of Watson

They had one game against each Ten and Jax to play before losing Watt , Watson and Mercilus so its not unreasonable to think they could have won those games with Watson as well as additional games and been in playoff fight

Because Watson's play was the only reason they were in games. I think DeShaun is great but his play was going to be really hard to sustain over the rest of the season.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Because Watson's play was the only reason they were in games. I think DeShaun is great but his play was going to be really hard to sustain over the rest of the season.

8-8 was probably reasonable though. 9-7 got Tennessee in.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Earl Thomas: 'pay me or trade me'

When he comes off a season where avril and Kam suffer career ending neck injuries and Sherman tears his Achilles and gets cut, totally understandable why he’s holding out.

For people who counter that he has a contract, he does but so did Sherman until they cut him.

For Seattle I don’t get what they are thinking. If he plays and you let him walk you will get a 3rd round compmoick in 202 so long as you don’t sign a big free agent contract next summer.

And to possibly franchise tag a 8-9 year bet seems low. Not like you don’t know what this guy is capable of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad