NFL: 2018 Training Camp Discussion thread

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Smith and his agents should hold their ground. You shouldn't be able to void guarantees for something that happens on the field. The player is already losing game checks if he gets suspended and that's more than enough punishment.

Is the easy middle ground to offer to reclaim money for every on field related suspension except the helmet rule? Or maybe just have a one or two season moratorium to say we won't go after you for this first season while the league is still working out how to enforce the new rule?

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
When he comes off a season where avril and Kam suffer career ending neck injuries and Sherman tears his Achilles and gets cut, totally understandable why he’s holding out.

For people who counter that he has a contract, he does but so did Sherman until they cut him.

For Seattle I don’t get what they are thinking. If he plays and you let him walk you will get a 3rd round compmoick in 202 so long as you don’t sign a big free agent contract next summer.

And to possibly franchise tag a 8-9 year bet seems low. Not like you don’t know what this guy is capable of.

Needing an extension didn't keep Wright, Clark or Lockett from attending camp however. And they'll all get one.
Earl has no leverage here unfortunately and it's been made plain that there will be no talk of extensions for those skipping camp.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Needing an extension didn't keep Wright, Clark or Lockett from attending camp however. And they'll all get one.
Earl has no leverage here unfortunately and it's been made plain that there will be no talk of extensions for those skipping camp.
True, I get that. I do understand earls position of wanting a new deal. He should be in camp while working on a new deal. But, are the hawks telling him that they will work on an extension once he comes to camp?

Hawks extended Duane brown, who still had a contract.

Nfl is a business and you have to look out for yourself. Once you get knicked up the team will move on from you.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Also true. Ideally he'll report to camp and get two/ three more years on top of this one but it's wishful thinking on my part.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Is the easy middle ground to offer to reclaim money for every on field related suspension except the helmet rule? Or maybe just have a one or two season moratorium to say we won't go after you for this first season while the league is still working out how to enforce the new rule?

Is that really a middle ground though? It seems like they just want another way to get out of potentially paying money if something goes wrong.

I'm 100% with Florio on this one:

They shouldn’t be at an impasse because no team should use the power to void future guarantees as, essentially, a ticket to get out from under a contract they regret.

The concept arises from the notion that, if a player gets in the kind of trouble that makes the team want to get rid of him, the team shouldn’t owe him any more money. That’s a fair outcome. But it’s not fair to use something that wouldn’t trigger a termination as a “gotcha” moment that gives the team an open-ended license to dump the player later, if the team chooses to do so.

For Smith, the notion that he’d lose all guarantees if he’s suspended for an on-field infraction at a time when the rules regarding helmet use are at best in flux has nothing to do with protecting the coffers against a scoundrel who can’t keep his life in order and everything to do with seizing on a technicality in order to potentially screw Smith if he ends up being a bust. That’s why it makes sense for Smith and his agents to hold firm. And that’s why the Bears need to find a graceful way out of this one, if that’s even possible at this point.

Teams are taking unfair advantage of the concept of voided guarantees

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

giphy.gif

Come on.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
:laugh: That's bad.

That's a penalty now? At most you could say it was a bit late but Rodgers injury was more on the fact he landed square on his shoulder/arm. It's not like Barr drove him into field harder than normal.

**** this league. Between that and the new targeting rule i can't wait to see how much worse officiating gets.

Reactions: Tuggy and Avs_19

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California
That's a penalty now? At most you could say it was a bit late but Rodgers injury was more on the fact he landed square on his shoulder/arm. It's not like Barr drove him into field harder than normal.

**** this league. Between that and the new targeting rule i can't wait to see how much worse officiating gets.

To be honest it's up to the officials so it's hard to tell how much it will change. You can't legislate contact like they are trying to do. The only change they should have made was reviews of personal fouls.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
I think Reid would be a better fit than Vaccaro.

Expecting Webb, but it would be nice if it was one of the other two.

Mitchell is terrible, that would be a worst case scenario for sure.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002

Man, Randy Moss had 4 QB's that REALLY threw a great long ball: Cunningham, George, Culpepper and Brady.

1-Cunningham's pass at 1:33 is pure
2-George's passes at 2:10 and 1:40 are throws you see and go, "Well, of course he was the #1 pick. That is an HOF arm."
3-Culpepper's pass at 5:10 drops right into Moss' stride 55 yards from where he threw it right in the back corner of the end zone.
4-I don't understand how Brady drops the pass into Moss' arms at 6:20. I remember watching that live.

Also Kerry Collins got a long career out of a REALLY long throwing motion. Ugly.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

They can't have guys making these kinds of plays driving their full body weight into the ground on a quarterback. Not because it's an egregiously bad and/or illegal play (it wasn't). It's because the NFL is a product and they have to protect their superstars and quarterbacks, and Rodgers is arguably their biggest. That's why you see so many terrible penalties on fouls with quarterbacks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad